BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Satellite Tracking - Week of Nov 23
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: STCB (Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire): Satellite Tracking - Week of Nov 23
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Robert's back. Here's the update for Nov 24:

------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

After spending the last few days "incomunicado" visiting Mona Island (Puerto Rico) to place transmitters on nesting hawksbill turtles there, we are now finally able to resume the tracking of our Bonaire turtles.

'Nautila' has been taking her time in deep waters, deciding where to go by swimming in a very big loop and actually crossing the track she made about two weeks ago. She is now again on a course northwards, moving straight towards Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic.

'Schillie' is still located near Klein Bonaire, which must mean she has yet another nest to lay there.

Saludos desde Puerto Rico,

Robert P van Dam

Project Director
Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire

phone (599) 717 2225
cellular (599) 790 0433
email stcb@bonaireturtles.org
website www.bonaireturtles.org

P.O. Box 492
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Netherlands Antilles

"Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire, local affiliate of the Wider Caribbean Sea
Turtle Conservation Network (WIDECAST), has been protecting sea turtles
through research, conservation and education since 1991."
nautila-nov24domrep

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #423) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 3:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andrew

Thanks for the update - interesting and stranger.

regards

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2883) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 8:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That little turtle has got some kinda energy!! I just can't imagine the distance she has traveled right before our eyes. Amazing, simply amazing! I know I sound like a broken record (showing my age here!) but it is amazing to watch and witness this event. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 8:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Update for Nov 25:

-----------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

As you can see on the attached map, 'Nautila' is once again approaching the coast of the Dominican Republic, now between Santo Domingo and La Romana. This is a heavily fished area, so potentially very dangerous for a big hawksbill turtle.

'Schillie' is still near Klein Bonaire.

I will continue to keep you posted,

Robert P van Dam

Project Director

phone (599) 717 2225
cellular (599) 790 0433

P.O. Box 492
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Netherlands Antilles

nautila-Nov25domrep

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9517) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Robert, thanks for these updates. Like Carol, it is truly amazing. I hope Nautlia doesn't get caught by a fishing vessel...:-( Makes me tear just to think about it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Whitt (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andrew, thanks once again for the updates. She has made an amazing journey. I hope she can avoid the fishermen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2885) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 1:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You GO, Little Nautila...stay away from the fishermen and bigger critters...just keep pedalin' your little heart out and get to your destination safely. (I think I've lost it, Cyn...waddya think?) Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #424) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 4:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andrew

Thanks and lets wish for the best for Nautila.

Go girl.

Carole can I join the Lost It Club?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Update for Nov 26:

-------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

The 'turtle team' is now back on Bonaire after a succesful visit to a very wet Puerto Rico. There, at Isla Mona, we put two more transmitters on nesting hawksbills and with much luck retrieved one damaged transmitter from an adult male hawksbill.

We are still tracking 'Nautila' as she returns again to the coast of the Dominican Republic, very close to the capital Santo Domingo. This is a very populated and industrial area, so we hope she decides to move on soon.

In the meantime 'Schillie' remains with us here at Klein Bonaire.

I will keep you posted,

Robert P van Dam

Project Director

phone (599) 717 2225
cellular (599) 790 0433

P.O. Box 492
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Netherlands Antilles

nautila-nov26santodomingo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2892) on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brian, the more the merrier! Come on in! Lots of room for us crazies in here.

We have to all try to transmit our thoughts to Nautila to move out of this area quickly....OK, everyone...start transmitting!! Time for a mind meld......Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 9:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Update for Nov 28:

---------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

We just received some signals from both 'Nautila' and 'Schillie' , but unfortunately the transmissions were too weak for the satellite system to determine locations for either turtle. This is normal and happens regularly with other tracked turtles, too. Hopefully we will have better luck tomorrow. I will keep you informed.

Robert P van Dam

Project Director

phone (599) 717 2225
cellular (599) 790 0433

P.O. Box 492
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Netherlands Antilles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2896) on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 11:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We'll be here anxiously awaiting! Thanks again. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1977) on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 5:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW, I didn't know about this.. great stuff! Thank you Andrew..

Sarah

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 8:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tracking Data for Nov 28:

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

Once again we are getting good location signals from 'Nautila': she is now along the coast some 50km east of Santo Domingo, close to the town of San Pedro de Macoris. This whole area is populated and heavily fished, so we hope she makes it through. Every day the mystery deepens as to what her destination might be.

'Schillie' is still near Klein Bonaire.

Have a good weekend!

Robert P van Dam

Project Director

phone (599) 717 2225
cellular (599) 790 0433

P.O. Box 492
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Netherlands Antilles

nautila-nov28santodomingo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 8:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Update for Nov 29:
------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

'Nautila' keeps up her pace, moving continuously eastward very close along the coast of the Dominican Republic. She is at La Romana and fast approaching the Parque del Este, a large and important nature conservation area. It still remains totally unclear where this turtle might end up. Today I am also attaching an overview of the track she has made after leaving Bonaire one month ago.

In the meantime, 'Schillie' remains with us somewhere on the reef at Klein Bonaire.

I will keep you posted,

Robert P van Dam

Project Director

phone (599) 717 2225
cellular (599) 790 0433

P.O. Box 492
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Netherlands Antilles

nautila-nov29

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration