BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Languages: I need a translation
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Languages: Archives: Achives 2000-2007: I need a translation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe brannan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #225) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We bought a kinda funky little sign for a friend while we were on Bonaire that says.

Pas Op Voor de Hund

We thought it said "beware of dog", but the store clerk said it more meant "beware of the dog's owners"

Help me
I've fallen in cheese and I can't get up

joey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (bcj.) (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 6:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm a bit rusty on my Dutch, but if I'm not mistaken the translation is:

Pas op - look out
Voor - for
de - the
Hund - dog/hound

Thus, "Look out for the dog".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3111) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 6:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That cheese is worse than quicksand, Joe! I hope you can get some grip/traction and get the heck out of there.....this Sunday (America's Superbowl Sunday) is NOT a good time to be near a pile of cheese!!! Be safe!!!! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (bcj.) (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 6:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Although, now that I think about it (and checked my Nederlands->Engels dictionary), I'm not sure "hund" is dog. I think that's "hond"...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Igor van Riel (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2269) on Monday, February 2, 2004 - 5:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hund isn't dutch. Hond is the dutch for dog, so it looks like a typo (hund is german for dog though). The rest of the sentence is dutch and it indeed says "Beware of the dog".
You see these signs everywhere over here.
Hope u can get up now Joe :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Copan (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone know if BuddyDive will be showing the Super Bowl on a big screen TV this Sunday?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By . (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, December 2, 2010 - 1:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"Hund" is not Dutch for dog, that's "hond". So I think thats a typo. But "Pas op voor de hond" means "beware of the dog" :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4210) on Friday, December 3, 2010 - 9:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

sign was probably made by someone who was not a native dutch speaker.. In papiamentu we spell like it sounds ie ice cream is iskrim, week end is wikent and camera is kodak!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By H2ODoc (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Saturday, December 4, 2010 - 10:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Google Translate is your friend.

It automagically recognizes the language and translates to English for you.

Google Translates result:

"Beware of the Hund".

So there you go. I've always been leery of Hunds.

;-)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration