BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: New Car Rental Location
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: New Car Rental Location
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ModCyn (Moderator - Post #664) on Thursday, May 8, 2008 - 4:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Looks like you will have a little longer walk to get and return cars now.
New Airport Rental Center

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bette Cobs (BonaireTalker - Post #63) on Thursday, May 8, 2008 - 4:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yep, that's the case. I've had a looksee and it looks ways nicer (read more inviting) than the previous one.
The longer walk isn't that bad. What you could do is the following; One takes the walk and rent the car and the rest waits at the airport with the luggage.

As far as I understand it, 3 Car Rentals will remain on the airport premises.
Hertz, Budget and another, still unknown, one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, soon...very very soon. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5807) on Thursday, May 8, 2008 - 6:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just sent off an email requesting information. Does anyone here know if we will be able to take the luggage carts across the street to the new location? I'm hauling lots of stuff for the animal shelter and will not be able to get my luggage to the new location without one of those carts. I guess this is my punishment for doing a good deed. You know...no good deed goes unpunished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7172) on Thursday, May 8, 2008 - 7:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is a website by A/B Rental that has lots of pics of the new place they will be in:

http://airportcarrentalcenter.bonairepage.com/location_english.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart S. (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 6:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

How much would a taxi cost from the terminal to the new rental location? It would be uncivilized to have too sweat during the first ten minutes of my vacation? (barely audible snort)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, soon...very very soon. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5809) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 7:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got an email from AB and their plan is to shuttle their customers back and forth. There will be a person waiting in the arrival hall at the airport with signs/names. Finally....I will be one of those people whose name is on a sign. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, soon...very very soon. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5810) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 7:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stuart....I don't think sweating is the issue. Many of us women travel alone and we bring with us donations for the Hopner Home and the animal shelter (probably other locations too). Trying to lug 2 very full suitcases plus your carry on bags across the parking lot and then across the street will be very difficult. I've watched people struggle with just one roller bag walking over to the back entrance of The Plaza due to to rocks etc...on the road. I could not imagine hauling two 50 lbs roller bags, plus carry on through that mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3068) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 8:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The actual distance is not that much greater than the present arrangement. The only thing that you may have a problem with presently is the construction debris that is still strewn about. I am sure that after a few trial runs, the agencies will come up with a convenient way to traverse the 100 yards..think of it as a kick off return for a touchdown!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, soon...very very soon. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5814) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 8:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael...you always make me smile! Can't wait to see you next week. AB is shuttling their customers, so no worries there. If the airport allows the luggage carts to be taken across the street, that would solve everything. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3070) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 9:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Technically, I still own the luggage carts at the airport. We never did sign an agreement giving them ownership!!! So, I will give you my "permission" to take the cart across the street If you get in trouble.....Michael who???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5119) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 10:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tribs, I always have 2 50lb bags and my carryon. It is a PITA when you are alone and can't get a luggage cart:-)

Michael, you own them? Now we know how you make your millions...luggage cart rentals at Flamingo Airport...oh wait, they are free...figures you are so nice you wouldn't charge:-)

Tribs, I say tell them Michael said you could take it...

Re the pictures, is that part of Port Bonaire or was it a house? I remember the building, just wondering what it was "before." And they really should have cleaned up the grounds in the last pic before they posted it...geez!

I think Mr. Smiley was joking:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart S. (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 11:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh Ms. Tribs(Is that your real name?), my post was made in jest. A guy that wears cardigans in the Caribbean never sweats:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, soon...very very soon. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5822) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 11:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well see now I have to confess to an obsession with Star Trek. :-) Tribs is my BT fun name. Jeanine is the real one, not as much fun. Thanks for being such a sport. I wasn't sure if your post was in jest or not. Being a short round woman, traveling alone can be interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Patrick who herds sharks on Bonaire** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2911) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 11:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about a big round guy traveling alone!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3375) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 5:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would say roll with the punches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6710) on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was hoping there would be a shuttle and glad to hear AB will have one. We both have to sign the contract so we both need to be present at the rental office together.

Thanks for the info, Jeanine! I guess Joe and I will see you very soon on Bonaire! Definitely drop me a note before you leave next week, OK? Looking forward to meeting you! Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray and Pam (BonaireTalker - Post #77) on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, so we get to the airport 5am Oct 11, gather our two checked 50 pounders and our two carryons, I head for the new Total Rental across the street from the airport. Pam says"Where you going, the car rental is over to our left where its always been." Long story short, I haul all 4 bags across the street to the new rental place, then walk back to the old rental place, get the truck and go back to the new rental place and get the bags,(Pam included). Score Pam 1, Ray 0. We did learn something new though, I, that the gnats like you better when you're sweating and Pam found evidence that they haven't rounded up all the stray donkeys yet. Score Pam 1 Ray 1. Life is good.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration