BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Mini van, not toaster to rent ???? HELP
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Mini van, not toaster to rent ???? HELP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #262) on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 7:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, my previous post must have confused, toaster to rent, huh? That is what we called the van that we have rented for five years as it served us well and is classified as a car from the USA insurance point of view, therefore one can fore go CDW.

But, with Netty's closed, I can not figure who is renting these. Any ideas?

TIA, Lydia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2835) on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Most places no longer rent them as they tend to flip over with such a short wheel base and high center of gravity once loaded with tanks, people and dive gear. For the most part, Washington/Slabbaai suggests that they dont enter the park due to the small wheels. There are few places that still rent the full size vans, hi ace is what they are called if I am not mistaken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Clark (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good to hear from another Toaster-drivin-fool, Lydia.

Try Ilka Everts. We've gotten one from her the last couple trips after Netty left. Of course Michael is completely right, they are ridiculously narrow and tippy and can be unsafe. But we're never in that much of a hurry and absolutely love them too. Driving them is like being at an amusement park all day. Plus the back door is shade in the sun and cover in the rain. We like to take plastic hangers and hang our wet suits from the back door during intervals. They're almost dry by the time you go back in. Also I like to keep our dive gear out of the sun and dust in the back of a pu.

The insurance coverage is a bonus. Our cc company was happy to cover then abroad. Sadly, we may have to try a truck next trip as Ilka is booked up. Sigh. Hope you have better luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1346) on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 6:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

and to make it even more fun, the front end was pretty similar to an old vw bus (deadhead version). the only thing between your knees and a donkey was about 18ga sheet metal. fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #497) on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat
Yes. True but at least the new ones are a little better than the old ones. They have a bit of nose out in front. Probably feel a little different too. I always liked them also. I remember having one years ago that had only 2 seats, so we put beach chairs in back.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1321) on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I ditto the recommendation for Everts --- they have a new fleet of Suzuki vans --- I've taken them all over (the old ones!) including to the Park.

And, Ilka Everts is great to deal with -- a real lady!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #234) on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Josie, are you saying they have new tiny Suzuki vans like the one we had together? Or, are you referring to a newer, larger, and more expensive type van?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1324) on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nathalie, it's my understanding that they are the little Suzukis, like we had before. Only new! Remember the door episode?

We have rented a car since it is less expensive than the van, as I pretty much use it to get around town, not for diving, so that's more than adequate. I go diving in Benny's truck....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #235) on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie, I looked at the web site and then it dawned on me that the Suzuki vans they have now are larger, more substantial, a bit more expensive, and not so bare bones as the the old Suzuki Carry (toaster) van. We've rented one last year and it seemed quite luxurious compared to the toaster vans that we loved. The door falling off in my grocery laden hands still makes me chuckle. Enjoy, Josie, sorry we'll miss you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #290) on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just rented a new Suzuki mini-van and it was very nice. They are roomy, will hold 6-7 people easily and transport lots of gear/luggage. Also, they are very economical to drive. With gas now $2 fl a liter you want economy if possible. The last "toaster" we rode in literally quit one day and had to be retrieved by Netty,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #265) on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 8:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is good to know we are not the only toaster lovers out there. Doors falling off, part of their charm.

Re reading this thread, which I started, I also looked at Evert's web site and the vans look bigger and more expensive.

Josie or anyone else, want to comment? Lydia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1387) on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 9:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

we rented one of the toasters a few times. a daiwoo damas. you can still see a few driving around. one of our neighbors there has one and it's still in good shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1333) on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, Lyndia, I haven't personally seen what they have van-wise this year, as we have a cute little Kia from Everts. I think Nathalie said they didn't seem to be the "toasters" we got in the past, which we loved...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration