BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Favourite waterfront cafes and Corona
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Archives: Archives 2007: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-03-31: Favourite waterfront cafes and Corona
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carey moluchi (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 3:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please give us some suggestions for favourite waterfront cafes for lunch and afternoon beers?

and..........

Is Corona readily available for drinks at bars and for purchase for consumption at our hotel?

17 days and counting!

thanks Carey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1123) on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

karels beach bar and city cafe are good. i'm not sure about corona's...i usually drink amstel or polar. amstel brite is similar to corona, a light tasting beer than you drink with a lime.

just under 24 days for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij (BonaireTalker - Post #58) on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Corona is available in most bars and restaurants...but I would definitely try the Amstel Bright. Quite similar and much more Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Brokamp (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife drinks Corona - then she saw the price - yikes! It cost a buck more the one time she checked. Try a Bright, especially if you are in the must have lime group.
I had a wonderful lunch at the Windsurf Place at Lac Bay> I ordered from the locals section, Wahoo. Daughter had a respectable burger, son had a wonderful smoked Marlin Salad. Nice shaded area since I like to get out of the sun in the afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Hauser (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1023) on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I third the Bright... it's very Bonaire:-) Karel's Beach Bar is an awesome place for happy hour (2 for 1) and to watch the sun set over the water.

Drats, just ramped up my PBD:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carey moluchi (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes the lime is essential, but more than that I have found Corona the only one not to give me a headache. Even one Coors or Miller Lite is a problem. I will give Amstel Bright a try and make sure I take the painkillers along just in case. As you say, Amstel would be more Bonaire appropriate.

Cheers!

Carey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Wayne Williams (The Great Escape) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #299) on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 8:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You don't happen to have a problem with rice or gluten, do you? Coors and Miller both contain both. If you know which of those you have a problem with, I can probably produce a list of drinkable beer for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1860) on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 9:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, Kevin. Great intuition! There's a possibility.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carey moluchi (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Interesting, but I eat both rice and whole wheat almost daily. If I had to lean towards one being iffier than another I would say wheat is less digestible but I have no known allergy. Some wines give me problems due to sulphites, as do any cold meat with preservative. Beers give me mild to moderate headaches, some wines and most cold meats give me blinding migraines. I ruined a total two days diving in Grand Bahama when I tucked into a cold meat brunch. Boy was i sick with a migraine. Never again!

I have learned to stick with Corona and Australian chardonnay, limiting but safe. I would love to hear any comments because I do love to drink, especially while gazing out over a blue ocean, with gentle breezes, boats traversing the horizon, mermaids singing, birds flying..................did I mention I like to drink.

16 days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Verstegen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #118) on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin, Carey, I have a headache problem with almost any beer I use. The first beer without that complication was the Mexican beer Pacifico. I believe it's completely rice beer, no wheat involved, but I don't know if that's what makes the difference. Unfortunately it's very hard to get here in Holland, and very expensive at that, while I don't know if it's available on Bonaire.By the way, it's also the most refreshing beer I've ever had and there's no bitter aftertaste as well Maybe you can add it to your beer list, Kevin?

(Message edited by alex__danielle on January 15, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carey moluchi (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alex. I checked out a neat site on the internet www.epinions.com and found interesting reviews and information. Yes, it is a rice/hop beer and apparently more full bodied than Corona. The bit you might find useful is that is apparently is imported into Europe by Eurocermex based in Belgium. Perhaps that will help you track down a good source for purchase in Holland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Verstegen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #119) on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carey, thanks very much for your research. I wouldn't say that Pacifico was more full bodied than Corona, perhaps a bit more fruity, but that's all down to personal taste anyway. The simple fact is, a Pacifico or two don't give me allergic headaches, and it's also very refreshing - "normal" beers always tend to make me more thirsty, whereas Pacifico doesn't. As for its availability in Holland, it's been a problem through the year, but it's now available from Suncomex Import, but only a few shops sell it, and at a high price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue from NJ (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #480) on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin - do you stock any gluten-free beers? I found out almost a year ago I am gluten-intolerant and regular beer is one thing I've needed to give up. (at least I can drink wine! do you sell it by the glass?).

Sue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Wayne Williams (The Great Escape) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #300) on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 6:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I do sell wine by the glass. I thought I had a gluten-free beer, but alas, no. Several rice-free beers for people that have problems with rice.

Carey, I'll bet your problem is the preservatives, based on your problem with sulfites. Polarcita should be OK for you (not Polar!!!!). Tropical Flamingo has it, and it's cheap. It's one of the few I don't carry because of low demand (for those that are curious, I don't bother with Amstel Light, any kind of Solera, Polarcita, or Polar Ice). I would bet that Duvel, Steendonk, and Witte Trappiste would be OK as well, because they are intended to be cloudy, so they don't get the load of anti-clouding chemicals dumped into them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue from NJ (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #482) on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 9:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin - excellent! I like a heavy Cab or Chianti Classico. Maybe we will see you in February when we are at BelMar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carey moluchi (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 4:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin. I never even thought preservatives existed in beer. It's a tricky thing this drinking!.I have copied this thread and will be over to sample your list in February. My husband is already salivating.........

Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Island Girl @ Papaya Moon Cantina (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please watch what is posted..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Wayne Williams (The Great Escape) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #306) on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If that post survives, I give up on ever understanding this place's rules.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Island Girl @ Papaya Moon Cantina (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

sorry...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Island Girl @ Papaya Moon Cantina (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

sorry... my bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick T. aka Guido (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1577) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

They have'nt caught it yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give em time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Blue Ridge (BonaireTalker - Post #62) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My bar/restaurant has Corona too!
Oh heck, wait, my bar is not in Bonaire.
Sorry, wrong boards.
Where am I?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #269) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 7:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi carey,

Rumrunners (located at Captain Don's Habitat) serves Corona and has an excellent view over the water and Klein Bonaire. It's one of my favorite spots for lunch because usually there large tame iguanas there who will eat lettuce out of your hand, also there are large tarpon that hang out in the water below.

I'm a Corona fan, but I don't like Amstel Bright at all. But it's still worth a try, since it *is* definitely more Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cam (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #823) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Beer....it's not just for breakfast anymore :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Blue Ridge (BonaireTalker - Post #63) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

In the style of the immortal Homer Simpson - "Beeeeeeeeeeer"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cam (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #824) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Warm beer is my second favorite drink:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Busch (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Caminator,
21 days till KOLD BEER in SJ. Can't wait. Hey Tom where is your place? I will have to stop in for a Kold one. I am in Ch'ville.
Cam, Joe is so fired up he might leave tomorrow. He wants to do some more night dives so be ready.
I just hope we don't loose a diver like we did last time. (no one hurt, just swam off with another group and ended up at the Sandollar instead of returning to Buddy dock with the group) Maybe get a late reservation for Richard's Sat night and do a nearly night dive.
I am ready to pack up NOW. I bought a new wet suit and dive light, lets go.
3 weeks form today we will be in SJ and having some beer my Canadian friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carey moluchi (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Jenny. That sounds like a fun spot. We have a month so we will work around the different places. Maybe we will do a sub section "The beer/view quest" on a later trip report! 11 days and counting...............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cam (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #830) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Johnboy...you know it...I'm thinking of getting a new light as well...can't wait for the $6.00 USD Bud in SJ

Overpriced beer in San Juan is my third favorite drink :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Blue Ridge (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Island Girl
Rule breaking posts are penalized with the mandatory sharing of recipes for amazing Chicken Egg Roll Appetizers with restaurateurs in Virginia! My email anxiously awaits the prize!

John,
I have read the rules and blatant business promo is verboten. Self promotion however is a different story all together. Ego promotion I think is strongly encouraged and if that were not the case the boards would shrivel and die.
So as a riddle only I shall pass along that I am located half-way physically (and perhaps mentally and politically) between Thomas Jefferson and Jerry Falwell in the county seat of Nelson. The name ends in Cafe and the first letter of the first name sounds like L. I live other side of Afton in the 'boro. I used to (15 yrs ago) work at the Court SQ Tavern where I spent a lot of my free time honing my taste buds and hop sodden knowledge about beer. The CST burned in the spring but should reopen soon.
Since this thread has turned toward beer and away from eateries I shall add that during my first visit to Bonaire I was pleased to find such a wide variety of fine brews on my only visit to Cultimara Market a.k.a. "Call Tomorrow Market"
We were approaching the end of our stay and while waiting at the bakery for hot fresh New Year's Olie Bollen (Richard if you read this thanks for the tip. From the pier people with the misplaced sunglasses) and I noticed an end cap display of interesting brewskies. My college aged son has experienced little other then common college swill so I picked up a few for us to experience together. Included were Duvel, Delirium and a Kriek Lambic which was respectable but fell shy of my favorite "Lindemans" who's Peche Lambic is A+ nummy. I will save my search for Chimay Grand Reserve for a next visit.
I shall close with the observation about the correlation between head pain and beer that we have discussed different brands, rice, wheat, glutton and preservatives and I shall toss yeast in the mix. Perhaps I am alone in this experience and you may want to share your insights but I think I have discovered that quantity might have some influence.
Still awaiting my Nobel Prize.
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Busch (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom,
I know the place very well. I drive by numerous times a year and have stopped in for food on several trips through. I work college football and travel up and down the highway going to Wake, Duke, UNC, NC State, and LU.
My favorite place is Perky's in Altavista. Next itme I am traveling through Lunchburg, I will stop in the Lovesville area for a Kold one with you, especially since the Ale House is closed in Lunchburg.
Caminator,
We can rent a cab and go over to one of the hotels and sit on the beach and drink $5.50 beers if you like. I arrive in SJ from Dulles at 12:45 AST.
Kold beer and the sunset at Karparta, doesn't get much better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Island Girl @ Papaya Moon Cantina (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 5:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom,

You know Carl wouldn't even give those recipe's to me!!! He knows I get too friendly with the people at the bar & would give the whole restaurant away!!!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration