BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Farewell to Lost Penguin
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Archives: Archives 2003 -2006: Archives - -2006-08-01 to 2006-12-31: Farewell to Lost Penguin
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #190) on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fond Farewell to one of our favorites. See: http://www.bonaireinsider.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Eichelberger (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I loved that place! At least it will still be open and am looking forward to any reviews forthcoming. BTW, has anyone opened another restaurant where Stiffler's used to be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1234) on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 2:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

OH, NO!!!

Does anyone know what Ton and Renota are doing next?? They were SO good at the Lost Penquin. I will really miss them and their wonderful place!
Josie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3668) on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 10:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ton and Renota, best wishes.

Two of my favorite restaurants sold this week, I am sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4598) on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ditto that here too, bummed out for sure! Best of luck Ton and Renota! Enjoy some time off for a while. You guys deserve it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (GH) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #19960) on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 1:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am bummed too. It's one of our favorite places for breakfast. I'm glad that Ton and Renota had a successful business and I hope they have a relaxing vacation in Peru, and will be interested to see what they do next!

Best of wishes to the new owners:-)

(Message edited by cyndelee on October 29, 2006)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1073) on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

we will really miss the penguin. loved having breakfast and lunch there. ton and renota were so friendly.

jeff, mezani is now where stifflers used to be...we ate there a few times last winter and it was really good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian - BBDME (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2412) on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 1:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry to see the LP change, I have to say it was the best named place in Bonaire. Here's to the new people I wish them luck with their venture.

I will need to check their beers in January!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karen gaffner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #141) on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 8:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

soooo sad! we'll miss Lost Penguin as well as Croccatino.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5184) on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This thread depresses me so much it's hard to respond. God, I will miss that place. I'm certainly glad for Renota and Ton they deserve a break. For the rest of us, a wonderful thing died.

I'm glad I got to spent some time there this last trip.

Renota and Ton, have a great trip to Peru and hopefully we'll see you on Bonaire in the near future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Barber (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #159) on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 2:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
But good luck to you guys.

(please come back soon)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #497) on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 5:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will never forget their Eggs Benedict!!
The fresh whisked hollandaise sauce was to die for.
It was wonderful.. PLEASE give the recipe to the new owners so they can make it the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lisa z (BonaireTalker - Post #86) on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 7:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

T&R, we will NEVER find another hamburger and french fries like you served at the L.P. But more importantly, the hospitality and kindness you seemed to show everyone that sat down in your restaurant. God Bless, and the best of luck in all you plan in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #319) on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Haa
Hamburgers are wide spread, but Lost Penguin Barracuda fish sandwiches are irreplaceable. THAT I will surely miss.
Mickey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrison D. Ipock Jr. (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Renota and Ton, We knew it was coming but that did not soften the blow. Exadys, Garrison III, and Judy Irene enjoyed almost every morning with you during our bi- annual visits. We will be down for two weeks during December and Jan. Hope we see you. I will talk to you later. Relax and enjoy Peru. Be sure to tell the owners not to forget the whipped cream on Garrison's pancakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cam (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #705) on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 3:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Man, the island won't look the same....somebody...pullleeeeez tell me Casablancas ad Richards will still be there in February

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian mccarley (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Wednesday, December 6, 2006 - 12:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow.. we just went to Papagayo (the place where LP used to be)...without a doubt, that was the most awful breakfast I've exposed to in many many years.
I hope the new owners can make some quick adjustments; ie, get a good chef in there.
It's sad to see that place go down so fast and so far

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim (BonaireTalker - Post #61) on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I finally had a chance to try out papagayo today.

It certainly is no "Lost Penguin", but then again I think we can all agree that the proprietors of the LP went out of their way to make the the LP more than you could hope for.

Papagayo IMHO does not deserve a bad rep, as the food was decent (the french toast was great) the prices and service also acceptable. It would still be my first choice next time I decide to go "out" for breakfast.

Note: They do not serve breakfast all day long, 11am is listed as the cutoff time.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration