BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: (Re-) Opening: Watta-burger, soon
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Archives: Archives 2003 -2006: Archives - 2005-07-28 to 2005-12-14: (Re-) Opening: Watta-burger, soon
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #275) on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 10:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Watta-burger will be re-opening the 2nd of January 2006. It is located besides City-cafe, the same spot, as it always was. New people are coming in, and they will have another "logo" (problems with the big M?), but still the same name. (I found the big M on his head, combined with the red, orange and yellow colors a great idea, by the way), I hope, (and expect) that the quality will be better then it was before, but time will tell. I heard it is going to be more the kind of a snack-bar Dutch style, so besides hamburgers, there will be frikandellen, kroketten, and who knows what more. Cheap, fast & fat.....

for a fast snack.....

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde Loo Hoo WWNMT2 (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15645) on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOOOHOOO! Whatta burger is back! Thank you for the info Harrie! I love KFC, Julios, and Bongos for those late afternoon lunches between dives! Nothin' like eating a late lunch sitting on the tailgate in your wetsuit:-):-):-) ahhhhh.....(well, Bongo's you can sit at a table and sink your toes in the sand:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back to Jeanine, or is it Tribs? (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1530) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 7:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well this is an interesting development. The big argument here has been do we got to Europe or to Bonaire on the next trip. This little development might swing it to Bonaire We have no Whattaburgers close to us and the SO loves them! I do mean LOVES them. Tee hee we might be off to Bonaire sooner than I thought!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde Loo Hoo WWNMT2 (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15649) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeannie, I was so bummed when they closed because for those late lunches when you are STARVING and need food NOW, KFC and Whatta Burger were great choices for fast food...I never go to Whatta Burger in the states, but for some reason, it was delicious on Bon! LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3580) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, lol, I didn't even know there IS a Whattaburger in the States ! Seriously!

But I love it in Bonaire. Especially on the tailgate...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #767) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There's one here in Orlando - but nothing to write home about. After trying the one here first, I had no desire to try the one on the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde Loo Hoo WWNMT2 (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15657) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I remember them growing up as a kid, and that's about it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #148) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just what we need, another here today, gone tomorrow fast food joint. He have to remember that hamburger has no ham in it, burger can contain any type of meat, ears, eye balls, lips, and any other part that will grind up. Kind of like flat, red, round hot dogs. Are you still hungry?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde Loo Hoo WWNMT2 (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15660) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry, the "fast food" joints on Bonaire, are few and far between. KFC, Subway, that's about it unless you want to include Julios. When I am hungry, and want something quick between dives, the restaurants are closed, and there is really no place to go and get a quick bite to eat. These places have value.

The other value they have is their contribution to the local community. Ruth at KFC hires locals, and most of the people who eat there are locals. It's affordable for them. They can't afford the restaurant prices, so KFC and Julios are great places for them to hang out and get some good food at a decent price. So, they serve the community more than they serve the tourists...that's where most of their business comes from...locals...:-)

Oh, and I can say I've probably eaten worse...I grew up on a farm ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #151) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I knew that would get you guys going.
Truth be told, I love some of the Sunday back roads BBQ joints. 1/2 a chicken and a beer for $4.00. Try to beat that when you are starving, and on your way back from a dive.

Bonaire has a very diversified amount of eatery's. I love most of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back to Jeanine, or is it Tribs? (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1534) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey there Cynde Loo Hoo WWNMT2...where is Julios? Been to Bon twice and have never heard of it nor recall seeing it. You are so correct on the restaurants not being open. When we landed last time, it was late afternoon and my nephew could have eaten a donkey if we would have let him. We kept going to all of these different restaurants we had visited on a previous trip and kept getting told, we don't seat until dinner time! We took him to Cultimara and bought some food there. We warned him to not be too picky with the airline food (that he refused to eat)... LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #150) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well I for one love ALL different types of food; whether it be "fast food" or a five star restaurant.
Each in my opinion has it's time & place. Good food runs the entire gamut from "peasant food" to the most intricate preparations.
Now one of my favorites is after a night dive, KFC with fries, cole slaw & a real cold one (or two) while on a patio overlooking the ocean. Bottom line for me is food doesn't have to be gourmet or complicated to be good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde Loo Hoo WWNMT2 (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15662) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tribs...NOT the donkey...please! LOL! Julios is next to the Lost Penguin. If you are driving through town on the one way road, at the end, the right corner there:-) Good burgers, and you usually see mostly locals there:-)

Jerry...you knew that would get me going...LOL!

Vince, couldn't have said it better:-)

(Message edited by cyndelee on December 13, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #154) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, I just want to keep you on your toes.
Good job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde Loo Hoo WWNMT2 (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15667) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well Jerry, I have had WAY too much sugar this morning that's for sure, I'm surprised I can even type! LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3588) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, that reminds me of Meet the Parents! Well, I didn't grow up on a farm, per se, but my sister had a cat that birthed a litter of kittens...

Jerry, yes I am still hungry. But I'm always hungry. ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald E. Niles, Sr. (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ALLRIGHTTTTT!!!!!!!! We sure missed our cheap cholesterol fix after our night snorkel downtown last October!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By F. Swanson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, January 3, 2006 - 1:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I don't think the Wattaburger is any part of the "Whattaburger" chain here in the states.
One just opened up rencently in Melbourne, FL and from what I hear it is not so good. Wattaburger on Bonaire was/is a nice, fun, clean place to grab a snack and the kids love it too.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration