BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Shade at beach while snorkeling
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Archives: Archive 2001- 2007: Archives - 2006-03-01 to 2006-12-31: Shade at beach while snorkeling
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melissa Phillip (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Looking for any snorkeling spots that also have shade on the beach. We'll be first time visitors in May. From my research, Pink Beach has shade from a few palm trees, but have not found many others. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil used to be on Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4639) on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BT, Melissa.

AFAIR from north to south; all northern sites have shade except Ole Blue, around the resorts there is shade (mostly), good shade at Windsock (end of runway) and Bachelors, from there on south it's pretty sparse.

IMHO, Some of the best snorkeling is at Andrea I, Calabasas (the Divi), Windsock and the Plaza by the Tipsy Seagull, all have shade. YMMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #610) on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Melissa: Does it have to be one of the Bonaire beaches, like pink beach, you hear and read alot about? If not, I believe there is some shade at the Andrea I and Andrea II dive sites. Andrea II especially would be good for snorkling I would say based on my expirience diving there. Also, I haven't done this site but I've seen posts from snorklers who have snorkled Wayaka (sp) up in the park. I've read there is shade on the beach there in the form of a cave of some type. You might want to do a keyword search on Wayaka here on Bonaire Talk. You may get more detailed info that way. Have a great trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1187) on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is a nice little beach with shade from the angle of the cliff at Wayaca 2, but you have to take the long route through Washington Park. It's certainly worth a visit to the park, then a nice snorkel towards the end. Get to the park when they open at 8 am or soon after, to have plenty of time to see the "attractions" -- the long route gives you the lovely bays on the east side to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #292) on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mellissa
Less you have the wrong picture of Bonaire, spend some time browsing Bonaire talk. It is not your typical lush tropical island. There is not much shade nor sand beaches along most of the coast. I love it and have been visiting for 25 years but I am not a sandy beach person.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3997) on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I second the Divi. Lots of shade to be had, great snorkeling, and a fantastic place for lunch at their Chibi-Chibi restaurant. Good stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17870) on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Melissa, just be careful which trees you use for shade. There is a beautiful shade tree on Bonaire that is poisonous and you end up with a nasty rash/welts/etc. Here are 2 good links. The second one, scroll down to the pics.

Manzalina Bobo Tree

Manzalina Bobo Tree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cat (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 11:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check out the "Sunbuster Shelter" >>> http://www.llbean.com/
We had one very similar for our trip last year. (Thank you Jenny!!!) It was quite small for traveling and a nice break from the sun when needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melissa Phillip (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have spent a lot of time in Aruba and realize the Bonaire terrain will be similar. We enjoy taking a break in the shade between snorkeling outings and know shade will be limited.

Thanks for all the great advice. We have learned a lot by reading a variety of topics on BT.

Cheers, Melissa

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration