BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Disposable cameras
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Archives: Archive 2001- 2007: Archives - 2006-03-01 to 2006-12-31: Disposable cameras
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christine Kelly (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 2:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nineteen days and counting! We're wondering if anyone has had good luck with the underwater disposable cameras? Or should we try to rent a camera on Bonaire? Thanks for any advice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne Nandan (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 3:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have used the Kodak disposable underwater cameras and the Fuji ones and we have gotten some beautiful photo's. Having said that, they seem to take great photos if you are in shallower water and your subject is dead ahead straight in front of you. Some distortion occurs if not. Of course if you want super duper quality you might want to rent a camera. I've also been reminded it is as much the photographers ability as it is the cameras. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #147) on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 4:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Christine, How many dives have you done. I didn't start photography until I had a few hundred dives. It takes good buoyancy skills. Be careful. You should rent when you get there. The rental shops have good gear with the strobes that you will need. If you want to get good pictures you have to be very close to your subject. Cecils rule of thumb is to get close, then get closer. You can get some really good results with digital these days, even if it's your first time. HTH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christine Kelly (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 5:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Bruce and Rosanne; We "only" snorkel but the advice was well given. I guess we'll bring a few different brands and rent a day or two and see what develops! Hopefully I'll be able to offer some advice to those without cameras. On another note, a friend wants us to locate a Hilma Hooker dive pin. He lost his and it was an important dive for him. Couldn't find one last year (though I wouldn't mind returning every year until I find one for him) Any suggestions? Thanks from mud season in Vermont

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne Nandan (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 7:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Christine, It looks like we will be on Bonaire at the same time! We are staying at the Divi.My husband and I and our 2 children (4 and 8) are getting very antsy to go! We are going to do the snorkel cruise Sunday on the Woodwind, perhaps we will meet! RosAnne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bea and Marvin Jones (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #107) on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 10:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Christine -

Look at the instructions on the disposable cameras. We used to use them inside a Ikelite case, and if I remember right they were only good to about 12' by themselves (without the case).

Marvin said at about 12' deep they take pictures on their own - the water pressure squeezes the camera and takes whatever picture is there right then.

HTH - Bea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne Nandan (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Christine, I just bought 2 cameras at Target today, a Fuji underwater one, it was $5.99 and says it's good to 30 Ft. and a Kodak one that was $7.99 that claims to be good to 50 ft. (they both have 27 exposures) It's probably worth picking up one or two, since they are so inexpensive and do take rather good photo's. What Bea wrote makes sense about the pressure issue also, so that's another thing to consider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1987) on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Snap Sights makes a flash camera that is reuseable and guaranteed to 100 feet. It comes preloaded with 27 exposure fllm and sells for under 25 dollars. It is available at lots of places on Bonaire and since it has unlimited reuses, it will save lots of $...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #131) on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just remember bring the cameras in your carry on bag and not in the checked luggage. The X-rays in the checked luggage can ruin the film.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shawn thiele (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #127) on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 3:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I remember when I went to the bahamas and made them hand check my bags because of the film issues. I had 4 different people talk to me about why I wanted my bag hand checked. They kept trying to tell me oh everyone does it, it will be fine. Took me 20 minutes to get a small backpack checked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ron DeMink (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 6:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

go for the snap sights, the flash will help to keep the "blue tint" out of your pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2700) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Get some lead foil from your local camera shop and check away. And the big blob will insure your hand check Shawn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bea and Marvin Jones (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #109) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Our last check of our carry-on luggage that had "used" disposable cameras is the reason we are now 100% digital.

Bea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By abraham weiss (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Post removed due to TOS violations. Please read our posting policies before posting further on this board

(Message edited by modcynde on September 18, 2007)

(Message edited by modcynde on September 18, 2007)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration