BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Trip Report January 18-28th
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 01-01-2010 to 04-30-2010: Trip Report January 18-28th
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Jim Mc **-- But you can all me Link (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2973) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 11:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The adventure began for me at Philadelphia International Airport at 6 AM. Therefore, I went through security at 4 AM. This was very uneventful, as I was one of the first people to run the gauntlet of TSA. The American flight was the second flight of the day. Therefore, there was not the usual backup on the tarmac of about 15-20 planes, taking a good 45 minutes waiting your turn for takeoff. Philadelphia is very notorious for this. We actually arrived in Miami 10 minutes early.

The walk from the terminal where I landed to the departure gate for Curacao took me about 20 minutes to get there. Pulling my travel bag, along with my backpack, made it feel more like an hour. I had both packed with a lot of weight, as my checked bag was 49 pounds exactly. I also knew that when I got to the departure gate, I would finally meet the "King of BT" along with his lovely wife Louise. Since I had seen many pictures of Jerry, through the years, I knew who I was looking for at the gate. Low and behold, he and Louise were not there.

About twenty minutes later, I see a guy pulling bags, and looking pretty exhausted. I made a motion to him, and sure enough it was Geraldo of Miami. We had a great talk about the wonderment of the Miami Aero Puerto, as Louise went out on a quest for a croissant. As we were boarding, Louise finally showed up like the Lone Ranger, rescuing Jerry's hunger and nervousness about her missing the flight.

Again, American Airlines shocked me as we took off five minutes early, and arrived in Curacao ten minutes early. There the fun really begins. You have to go through Immigration, pick up your bags, go through Customs, pay a departure tax, and just wait. By the time we did all this, the Divi flight to Bonaire was getting ready to board. I was originally scheduled to fly at 1700, but they got me on the flight with Jerry and Louise at 1515. I knew I would not have my truck from Telerin upon arrival in Bonaire, but Jerry told me he would take me back to the airport for my regular arrival. As it happened, when I got to the Bon, I asked a cab driver if he knew Poppy from Telerin. Sure enough, he did. He called her, and within 15 minutes she was there. All was good so far.

After my check in at Roomers, the old "Great Escape" I walked across the street to see if Cynde and Steve were outback at Belmar. Sure enough, there was Cynde sipping a glass of Chardonnay, while Steve was whacking an adult beverage as well. I had a glass of wine with them, reunited with Cynde since 2002, and went back to my place to shower and get ready for dinner. Jerry had already asked me if I would join he and louise, along with Cynde and Steve for dinner at Capriccios. As it is my favorite restaurant, I was on it like a cheap suit.

Dinner at Caps is always something amazing. However, whether because of starvation, or the company, it was nothing less than spectacular. The excellent wines, coupled with great conversation and food, made it truly a night to remember. Two bottles of my favorite wine on the planet, Barolo, made it on to the table as well. I had arrived.

Tuesday morning found me on quests. As I had volunteered to make dinner Tuesday night, I had some work to do. I also needed to get my STINAPA tag, and do my orientation for the 22nd time. The Buddy Dive at Belmar, got me out of there quickly, as I had a dive planned with Cynde and Steve at 1300. Later that night, five of us would be doing the night UV dive with Bas Noij at Belmar. I also had to check in with my good friend Lutty DePalm, who is a dive master at Captain Don's. I asked Lutty to come for dinner that night, after our night dive. He accepted.

Shopping on Bonaire for specific things is always a challenge to say the least. I had planned a simple dinner of pasta, meatballs, garlic bread, and salad. However, simple is not always easy. Finding the spices I wanted, along with breadcrumbs, was not easy. I finally wound up buying croutons, which I found at More For Less, and pounded them with an empty bottle of Bright into breadcrumbs. Necessity is truly the Mother of Invention.

At 1300, Steve and Cynde were good enough to do my checkout dive with me. As I had just bought a new regulator the week before, I did not want to do my first dive at night, especially with all those other people. Our dive went great, and we found a whole lot of great stuff. After our surface interval, Cynde and Steve went out shopping for stuff they needed, and I proceeded to use their kitchen, as I had no facilities across the street at Roomers. I wanted everything ready for the night divers when we got back from the dive.

As we all had a great time on the night UV dive with Bas, I shall not get into it, as it would be redundant. We already posted the wonderment of this dive two weeks ago. Give it a shot, if you have not done it with Bas as yet.

Dinner turned out really good, and everyone had a great time that night on the back of Belmar. Tim was his usual funny self, and he and my bud Lutty had a fun time together. It was pretty easy to tell that Bas was enjoying himself as well. Not only is he great to dive with, but just fun to be around on land as well. You can tell he is getting ready to be a dad, and he'll be a great one, as his wife is due any day now. This was a recap of the first two days on the trip. There will be more to follow. There were so many great adventures and times, it is hard to sit here and give them justice in one trip report. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1862) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 12:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim, perfect:-) The dinner was REALLY good...and thank Gawd Bas was there to help me work the toaster oven for the garlic bread...lol!

Bats, you forgot to tell the story of the bats...that, and how we were all like WTF? when Lutty was at the ladder ready to help us out of the water...lol...poor man. He is such a sweetheart too.

I'm off to that "day gig" but will post pics of the dinner in a little while if you like:-)

Bas did tell me that he thinks the UV dive is better at the Cliff, but I still thought it was spectacular:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Jim Mc **-- But you can all me Link (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2975) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

He told me the same thing. If Kathi and I go back in March, we will do it with him there.

About the bats. My esteemed friend from southern California, thought it would be a good idea to put out a saucer of sugar for the Chibis. Nice idea. However, at night, we had at least 100 bats swarming in to get the sugar, as they are fruit bats. Tim actually got a pic of a bat in flight, right at the saucer. Very cool. Unless, of course, you are trying to have dinner. Holy Bat s*** Batman!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2782) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Jim..Sounds like you all had a great trip. If you're going to be down in March when I'm there drop by and lets share a few cold ones!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Jim Mc **-- But you can all me Link (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2977) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 1:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince, will you still be there on March 27th?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BarbieRuth******Ken's forever love (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3140) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 1:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can't wait to read more, Jim! Here's hoping for March!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2589) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

jim, we'll still be there on the 27th too...leaving for the states on april 4. hope to see you there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2783) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry Jim.. Looks like we'll miss you! Some other time..:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1863) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

pre uv dive
pre uv dive
pre uv dive

dinner (without bats)
yummy dinner with Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1864) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

one more
pre dinner

OK, I'll stop posting pics on YOUR trip report Link...LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Jim Mc **-- But you can all me Link (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2979) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No don't stop posting the pics. Makes it come alive. Tim we need bats!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Jim Mc **-- But you can all me Link (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2980) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, I am still working on the Kathster. Her dad wants to take us to Cuba then. I am trying to tell them both it's not enough time. I think we would need three weeks in Cuba, as it is so big. That would be the summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I'll always be BOOM here! (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13204) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

awesome recount!!!! I can almost taste the pasta :-)

more please!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1867) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LMAO...look at each of the pics..in each one someone is holding their hands up like "it was this big...." lmao...

I agree, Timmy, we need the bat pics!

I was FREAKED OUT. I went to the other side of the patio. I come back in and omg..they were EVERYWHERE flying around. I'm like "are those BATS?????"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Jim Mc **-- But you can all me Link (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2982) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And we said, " Yeah, that would be bats sugar britches." LMAO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #426) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 3:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good start Jim, look forward to the next installment...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11787) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 5:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim, really enjoyed reading your report, you have a wonderful reading flow when ya get going. :-) Too funny on the bats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiwi aka Steve (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1021) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 8:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

bats i my belfry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiwi aka Steve (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1022) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 8:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

oops!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1882) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 8:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

what? you can see his tongue! lol!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiwi aka Steve (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1023) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 8:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

bats

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiwi aka Steve (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1024) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 8:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

lickee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiwi aka Steve (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1025) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 9:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"There does not appears to be enough wine for everyone to have a glass..."

wine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1883) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 9:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LMAO...omg...Saint L is givin' the stink eye...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1884) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 9:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's a Gene Simmon's Bat....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I'll always be BOOM here! (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13208) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 9:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

these are just too much fun!!!

Thanks and MORE Please!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Linda* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7094) on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great capture of the bat tongue, Steve!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Jim Mc **-- But you can all me Link (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2990) on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 12:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've always heard, "Once you go bat, you never go back." Or something like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Carvalho (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 2:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can't show these pics to my wife, if she knows they have fruit bats on Bonaire, she may never go back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1887) on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, even thought there were like 50 swarming the patio they were totally interested in the sugar not us, and were really good at dodging us. We really need to get some of Timmy's pics of the bats too.

Once you go tongue...LMAO...i never knew bats had such LONG tongues!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Jim Mc **-- But you can all me Link (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2993) on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 9:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tim has been incognito. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Hall (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #116) on Friday, February 5, 2010 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OMG those bats are wicked. I love bats (and all critters)

Glad the trip was good.

Top Tip:
Rice Krispies the breakfast cereal make excellent breadcrumbs. I use them for making my grandaughters fish fingers.Next time if you are out of breadcrumbs try them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Modtimmmy (Moderator - Post #23) on Saturday, February 6, 2010 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here yah go ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1897) on Saturday, February 6, 2010 - 2:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Timmy:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Jim Mc **-- But you can all me Link (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3008) on Saturday, February 6, 2010 - 6:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very cool Tim. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michelle_Mel (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1612) on Saturday, February 6, 2010 - 6:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Awesome report and pics! Really cool!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration