BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Yet another trip report!
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 01-01-2010 to 04-30-2010: Yet another trip report!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #291) on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 1:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So, departed with my injury from Halifax N.S. on the 16th Jan. Got to the airport, got the preboarding and assistance arranged for the entire flight(s). Continental was very accommodating. Head to security. Remember, no carry on allowed. Put my camera bag on the thing, "whats with the book bag?", I replyed, it's a camera designated case, as I placed the printed list of rules for flight with it. They didn't like it, but did accept it. They went through EVERYTHING, even my wallet(cash). I also wore my photog vest, pockets loaded. Scanned our hands with the wand and cloth normally used on electronics, 1/2 hr later, we got to customs, answered the usual questions. 5 min. G took his laptop in case, and his newly acquired "man purse"! I must admit, it was very pleasant not to have carry on to lug about.
We stayed at Buddys again. Dive shop is newly re-arranged, carry about the same stuff as before.
Thanks to Susie from the camera shop, who let me use (rent through the dive op), her Force Fins, as we were unable to get my foot into anything else. Interesting fins, what started out as bizarre contraptions, not to mention, ugly, quickly turned into my new favorite things, fast, not 1 leg cramp, easy small kicks, wonderful for frog kicking, and so easy to don and doff. Now I have to buy some......thanks Susie! She did the same for a lady the week before, who injured her foot while there.
We also rented regs, as the only way to get our checked bags light and small enough was to leave ours at home. Carlos was happy to put our own ortho mouth peices on them for us. The gear preformed flawlessly.
The diving, boats to Kline, and shore off Buddys(was nervous to go out and about, with my foot). Fantastic. Best dives right off the dock. Octos, turtles(even 1 green), eagle rays, sparring peacock flounder(amazing, right outta sci-fi movie), seahorse, froggies, Queen Angles by the doz, as well as all the usual culprits.
Water temps consistent at 82-84. Viz was down. Most of the week the current ran to the south.
Kline was, well, Kline, lovely. Had to do the north-northwest part of Kline due to currents, and wind/surface condt's.
The Buddy boat went out 3x's to the north for the 3 tank day trip. The folks I spoke with were roughly 50/50 when I asked if they'd do it again, but all were glad they had done it.
The food at the beach bar is much better than before.
Coming home, was much less congested at Flamingo airport, took only minutes to get through, did get the pat-down at the boarding gate. They took my lighter!
Both the Chinese Market(across from Don's), well stocked, good prices, and the Sandollar Market/bakery gave us change back in USD. They're getting ready for the currency change over next Jan(according to the SDM/bakery owner). He did say that others aren't doing this yet. The market prices seemed lower to me this year, well, the beer, anyway! The rum was higher!

All, in all, for us, another wonderful trip to Bonaire.

Sadly, there was a diver death on island while we were there (Wed). Apparently a heart attack, while diving Kline. That's all I know (not at Buddys). Tragic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michelle_Mel (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1522) on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 5:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nice report Brenda...sorry to hear about the diver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Jim Mc **-- But you can all me Link (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2905) on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 5:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It was at Karpata, and my friend was the divemaster on the boat. The guy had a massive heart attack in the water, and he was dead upon getting him on the transom. Very very sad.

We had dinner last night, and he is very distraught over this incident.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy Workman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #213) on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 5:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim, Give Lutty our love and a hug (tell him it's from Judy :-)) Also tell him we'll be back May 8-22, so we'll be looking him up! He'd been to Aruba last time we were there and caught cold, so no diving. This time for sure! Judy & Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1799) on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 6:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Awe Jim, please give Lutty a hug for me...such a tragic thing to have to deal with. Condolences to the divers family:-(

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration