BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: A Trip of Firsts - Part 4, Still More Pictures
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-07-31: A Trip of Firsts - Part 4, Still More Pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #170) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was just sorting through some more pictures from my February trip and thought I would post a few more. Don't know whether this helps or worsens my PBD but it will have to do until I get my next Bonaire "fix."

Smallmouth Grunt and Staghorn Coral

Christmas Tree Worm

Squid

Another Squid Shot

Juvenile Drum and Pallid Goby

Porcupinefish

Banded Coral Shrimp

Coral Garden

On the Reef

Fireworm

Froggie at Jeff Davis

Green Turtle

Fairy Basslet on Brain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10231) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very nice Richard.

How big was the frog fish?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiwi aka Steve (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #830) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 1:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Really nice, Richard. Thanks for posting them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R J (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 1:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the pictures Richard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #575) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Awesome pictures Richard.
Thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #171) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry,

The frogfish was about 3 inches long. I have been looking for one for years and this was the first I have found on my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10235) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good for you Richard. I am still looking on my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Long (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #174) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Richard, we need more pictures! Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1428) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

NICE shots! Unfortunately, makes my PBD worse :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #172) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just noticed that the fish in the first picture should have been identified as French Grunt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip C (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great pictures Richard. Thanks so much for sharing. Two months to go. Your pictures (and everyone else who has been kind enough to share)show that whatever is going (growing) on topside doesn't seem to have affected the spectacular underwater scenery. Thanks again, Skip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deana Sansing (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great pictures! What type of camera where you using? I am a new diver and we will be in Bonaire in July. I completed my certification in Bonaire in Oct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail T. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2870) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amazing photos. How do you correct the pics to eliminate all of the particles in the water? In all of my dives, I never see every thing so pristine and clearly...... Just wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elaine sculley (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 4:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

great pictures!!!!!!! what did u say to the frog fish he looks scared?(HE HE)
es

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #173) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 7:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Deana, I use a Canon A630 camera with Canon underwater housing.

Gail, Unfortunately, backscatter is going to happen when you shoot without an external strobe. I try to minimize this by using underwater mode for anything beyond effective flash range (this mode shifts the ISO setting to avoid using the flash in most cases). For anything within three feet I almost always use manual mode and force the flash. When I have to shoot something with the water column in the background I do get backscatter. I clean this up using the healing brush feature of Photoshop. To avoid backscatter try to take pictures with some background coral behind your subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I shoulda been a fish! (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #242) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 9:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is that reef squid eating a fish?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Kwalwasser (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Richard,
Very nice images!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #174) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I believe the squid was just spreading its tentacles in that shot; don't think it had a fish. Come to think of it, I have never seen a squid eat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #175) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here are some examples of shots using the underwater mode (no flash):

Smallmouth Grunt

Spotted Eagle Rays

Seascape

Salt Pier

Dive Buddy

Dive Buddy at Salt Pier

Eagle Ray Feeding

Here are some more examples of pictures taken using the manual mode:

Porcupinefish

Frogfish

Spotted Trunkfish

Spotted Moray

Secretary Blenny

Smooth Flower Coral and Brain Coral

French Angelfish

Some topside shots:

Sunset

Sunset

Taylor Made Area

East Coast

Wind Carts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MzFish on Bonaire in May! (BonaireTalker - Post #83) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, now I am SO READY to get my camera back in the water again!!! Thanks for sharing all those great photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6323) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 7:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Most excellent shots Richard. A nice explanation of how to shoot with an internal. I live by those rules, the only minor difference is I have more of a tendency to use the flash, I have leaned no matter how many no flash shots I take, they almost always disappoint me. Get close, use the flash in manual is pretty much what I do.

I do like the white balance in the Canons a lot more than my Sony, I never get a deep blue. What is funny is I like the topside colors more in the Sony, weird.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #651) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 9:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, great pictures! Thanks for sharing and thank you for the tips!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fortunediver (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amazing photos!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1213) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for sharing, like picture post cards !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #177) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 8:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil, I take probably 90% of my pictures with flash forced and the camera in manual mode. That being said, most of my pictures are close range, many with the camera in the macro mode. Occasionally I want something that is further than my effective flash range so I use the underwater mode. If the range to my subject is greater than about three feet I don't want the flash to fire and create a lot of backscatter; the flash is pretty much ineffective at distances greater than three feet anyway.

By the way, thanks again for the great pictures you posted recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By T-Shirt Divers John and Sue (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #667) on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nice pics. Thanks for posting. I like the eagle rays.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration