BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Pre-Trip Report
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2001-05-19 to 2001-11-29: Pre-Trip Report
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Graham on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 9:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, heading for our 2nd Bonaire trip in November! We had an unbelievably wonderful time last year.

What's new, what's good, how's the snorkleling this time? Staying at BelMar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roger pili on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 1:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

New to the site. With the HV closing, is there any threat to the Plaze resort closing? Have a first time trip planned early November for 2 wks and am alittle anxious since 11th Sept. I do not want to cancel this trip however if situation degrades; might have to. Comments please:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 1:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roger! We're going to the Plaza for the first time, in November, as well. Nov 17th, I think. I never gave any thought to the Plaza closing as well, until now. I would also like to know if this is a possibility. Someone in the know, could you please coment? Levon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 10:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is highly unlikely. HV really was not a factor in the rooms inventory since they are a residence property and never had lots of guests. The arrivals on Bonaire have not been significantly impacted and barring any more unsettling news, it looks like most places will remain open and have pretty good occupancy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Folks, I would just get on the planes and get on down to Bonaire and enjoy the beauty of life. We can't live in fear 24/7 and we must take chances in life every day...even just crossing the street or putting the key into the ignition of your automobiles. We are headed to Bonaire for Thanksgiving week, November 18 thru 25...nothing will stop us from getting there....nothing. More now than ever, we all could use some peace and tranquility in our lives and Bonaire more than fills that prescription. Continue with your plans and enjoy what life has to offer you...it is all awaiting you out there. That's how I feel about it! Thanks for allowing me to spew off! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael & Carole, Thank you. Carole, we are going Thanksgiving week as well. The only thing that will stop us, is if the judge won't let my husband out of jury duty, that just came up! Wish us luck! Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kay Powers on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 3:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree...I will be there November 18 thru 25th. Counting down the days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim McDaniel on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 7:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda, Just have your husband tell the attorneys he would be a perfect juror. Just on the basis that he can "Pick a Guilty One Just Like That" (While Snapping his Finger just Once.) That should do it. Have fun while in Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 7:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree, we can't let fear control whether or not we travel. But for me, it's important to know the reality of the situation; i.e., if a resort is closing down while I'm there. It affects the enjoyment of the trip. I think it's important to dialog about the status of places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 11:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tim: Good one! I'll tell him to use that!

Mary, Yes, I agree. I wouldn't want a place to close down while we're there!

Carole & Kay, Maybe we'll run into each other Thanksgiving week. I'm Canadian, but I'm still looking forward to celebrating the American thanksgiving, especially on Bonaire!! Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 9:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wasn't Canadian Thanks Giving last week? Now, I just hope the market gets the turkeys on time this year. Carole, I will have a short shoppng list b4 you arrive. Is Joe a good Cook?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 1:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael....Joe is a fabulous cook....he loves to mix and match and experiment in the kitchen...he has a ball cooking. He is great at "regular" recipes, too. Our kitchen is so small he can't really "let loose" but yours is just right and he will work magic for you! Just let us know what to bring and we will be there with smiles and goodies! Can't wait. Need any hot sauce this time around???? I still think Indonesian dinner sounds like a good idea to me! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No Indonesian...traditonal Thanksgiving. Joe, bring your apron and chefs hat...you are in charge. Pumpkin, mince and apple pies are requred. More later. (you thought it was to be a vacation?!#)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael...too bad Cynde Lee can't ship out some of those wonderful Julian Apple Pies from Julian, California! They are sooo delicious. I don't think Joe has baked pies before...he says he is a good "cook" not a baker! (actually I'm the Baker...couldn't resist that one). Is there a way we can get the pies down there without destroying them in transit? Hmmmm. Some of the Mrs. Smith's frozen pumpkin pies are very good...ever try one? Just a thought...Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Graham on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 3:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, so much for my initial inquiry!!

This thread has gotten off on a different track altogether! Any responses to my question, folks?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 4:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry about that, Susan! Can't imagine the snorkeling ever being bad any time of year, but I will defer the "offical" answers to the "pros" from Bonaire. Have a great trip. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn & Deborah Kravitz on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 9:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What a great crowd! I'm new to this group (and diving), but expert at pies. My husband Glenn (20+ years diving) & I are arriving 11/15 and will stay at Divi through the end of the month. I should be done with my check out dives by the 18th or so, plenty of time to bake a bit. Let us know if you need anything....Glenn & Deborah Kravitz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 10:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glenn and Deborah: We will probably run into you at the Divi on land or in the water sometime between the 18th and the 25th of November as we will be there as well. Welcome aboard the Bonaire Talk group! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 10:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, Yes Canadian Thanksgiving has passed. We celebrated in Traditional Canadian way. Since, we are a border city, and my husband works in the States, mind as well celebrate twice! Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Lott on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 3:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glenn & Deborah; Carole: You will love Divi if you haven't been there before. The Divi Dive is a first class operation. We had Rofino and Geertje as our divemasters, they are both just incredible. Ask Rofino about his motorcycle girlfriend...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn & Deborah Kravitz on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 9:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi folks - I hear the mosquitos are like vampires during parts of the year. Anyone know how bad they are mid-late November? Any suggestions on repellent that's not to toxic or stinky? Deb's like Godiva chocolate to those guys. They love her silly, though she doesn't think they're funny. Can't wait til Nov 15th. All the best. - Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve and Sandy Oliver on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 9:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Avon's Skin So Soft worked great for Sandy, and she's usually a magnet for mosquitoes.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roger pili on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 11:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all for the excellent feedback. Yes, the level of risk has risen however strength is in our resolve. See you all Nov. 21 thru Dec. 1:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 6:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

In Aug. I got eaten alive while at Habitat. They were in the room. Interesting enough there was bug spray in the closet so I zapped the room, closed it all up and left for dinner.

This past trip I didn't see or hear ONE mosquito.

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 6:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen & Deborah

The mosquitos ARE like vampires! We are usually on the island around early December. Every year there are mosquitos, and lots of them. On my first visit to the island, I was eaten alive and ended up visiting the local Doc in town. I react very badly to the bites! Be sure you have plenty of spray with you. The only bug spray that works for me is Autan, you can only buy it here in the UK (very rarely seen on BON). Though I'm sure you will find a product that works for you. They do get into your room, (usually after the maid service), though most places are screened, so once you've sprayed the room, there shouldn't be any further probs.. (until the maid comes back)! Best of all, find a spray you can sleep with! S

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 7:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

When we got down there this time, Jake told us that there were hardly any mosquitoes, as it had been too dry.

Well, there may have been hardly any of the things, but the few that were there all managed to find our place, and they all managed to find me, too! My right arm, especially, was nicely bitten up.

So yeah, definitely bring bug spray. You won't regret it, especially if you're one of the sort of people who tends to attract the little buggers (like me)...

Faith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally Bell on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 9:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I basically spend all day outdoors year round next to the largest fresh water swamp in Georgia, USA. Avon skin so soft is the best bug and no see um repellant around. We bath in the stuff when we have to build a dock out on the salt marshes. We make one sweet smelling construction crew.
We will be there Dec 26 to Jan 2
Wally

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 12:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole,,,I totally agree with your above statement about traveling now....took me quite awhile to sway to that side....I usually stay up all night before the trip cleaning and such...and than have a Martini and xanex to get me to walk through the plane under normal conditions. I may need a morphine drip for this one...but am determined to get there no matter what...(The fish are calling!)..( I will be the groggy one on the chaise lounge near ocean on Sunday the 16th I think the date is...)Again...we hope to see you at some point......but I think enough is enough....too much Bonaire in our blood now to turn our spirits away.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn & Deborah Kravitz on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 9:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the mosquito advice! Hope the skin-so-soft works...just bought 5 bottles on-line (and on sale!) Last trip to Texas, I almost became airborne during a feeding frenzy. I hear alot about PBD (post Bonair depression), but nothing about my illness, PBS (pre Bonair syndrome). Symptoms include: inability to concentrate at work, sudden urges to jump in water, compulsive research & trip planning, and hallucinations of brilliantly colored tropical fish (or are those my co-workers?). Any other symptoms? Cure? Counting the days (21) Deb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 6:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Deb - you *could* try some of the tried-but-true remedies offered by people on this BT board: Drink Tequilla from a sun shower, put your face near the heat register and pretend it's Bonaire wind, wear flamingo earrings and Andy's pants around the house, listen to Moogie on CD, or Margaritaville radio, get a haircut, or two, or three, gripe about "wimmin," open a bottle of Cuvier sans wogga wogga (reserve,) set up a webcam on your refrigerator magnets, get a tatoo, pretend your husband is a donkey (hopefully, he's not) and feed him carrots, wear your regulator in the bathtub, etc. etc. Good luck, at least you HAVE a manageable countdown - mine is 3219 days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas R. Gastio on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Deb when are you arriving in Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 7:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh Hazel, I am soooo sorry...that is an awfully long time to wait..

:(

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn & Deborah Kravitz on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 8:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hazel, dear...thanks ever so for the suggestions. From Andy's messages, there might be an extra pair of his trousers floating about? LOVED the Tequila one (will do), however my sommilier is having touble locating the rare Cuvier sans wogga wogga reserve (sigh). Will try all suggested cures over the next three weeks, perhaps some simultaneosly! We arrive on the 16th to the Famed Divi Flamingo, Thomas.

Hopefully Hazel can shorten that countdown. I understand that too many carrots can have a negative impact on one's donkey!

xxoo-Deb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas R. Gastio on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 4:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Deb: I thought that your husband had told me that you were arriving on the 16th of November. I will be leaving in the afternoon of the 16th so maybe we will be passing in the Airport. What time do you arrive Bonaire...... Thomas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn & Deborah Kravitz on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 12:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom: Sorry about the misunderstanding. We are arriving in Bonaire on the 15th around 9pm. By the time we check in at the Divi, and after traveling all day, I'm sure we'll be beat. Coffee or breakfast in the morning would work.

Glenn

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration