BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: More rain than sun in Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2005-08-09 to 2005-12-26: More rain than sun in Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Dugas (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 9:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi All,

Will be arriving in Bonaire Saturday for first time(Oct.15) and the weather forecasts just indicate rain. For those that are already there, is this all-day rain or just an afternoon shower. Will I even need sun block?
Guess if I'm diving, won't need to worry too much what the weather is on the surface provided its not a hurricane.
Ciao,
Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #342) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 9:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phil, It is unusual for it to rain more then a few minutes at a time on Bonaire. Don't worry about not getting enough sun while on the Island. Don't forget your sun block. We are to arrive the same day. Staying at Dive Inn. May seeya around the Island.. Ron

PS: The Mosquitoes can be a problem when it rains allot. Don't forget the Bug Spray.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #885) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Phil,

We had quite a bit of rain the beginning of this week due to a tropical "disturbance". Right now it is VERY HOT, sun shining, little wind,, whew...

As Ron states, when they call for rain it is usually either a little downpour (5 minutes or less) during the day or more likely at night when you are sleeping. DON'T FORGET MOSQUITO SPRAY!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #335) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 1:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phil -

I'm not sure of your travel experience (probably a fair amount or more if you are an advanced diver), but let me encourage you to take and use plenty of sun protection on Bonaire.

Because of its proximity to the equator, Bonaire's sun is extraordinarily intense, certainly more so than the northern or mid-Caribbean or Hawaii or any other location that is not so close to the equator. The almost (except Sept-Oct) constant easterly breeze disguises the intensity of the sun. Don't be fooled, it can broil you faster than you realize. Of course, sunburn wears off, but the potential for skin cancer is only increased.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Mueller (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4297) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 1:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Twin - do you still have all those bug repellent wipes - I plan on raiding your stock when we get there - one less thing to pack!!!

7 more days and we will be back on Bonaire!!!YIPEEE!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2189) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 2:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Weather Underground 5-day forecast for Bonaire ( http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/78990.html ) shows the wind coming back up to 'normal' velocity and direction over this weekend. The heat index then will be normal also. Just in time for the end of Regatta!!!

'Happy Days Are Here Again...' :–)

(Message edited by glenr on October 13, 2005)

(Message edited by glenr on October 13, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back to Jeanine, or is it Tribs? (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1160) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 4:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Phil! I've been there in the rainy season and still have not experienced the joy of diving while it is raining. I hope you get the chance! Mother Nature thought I should only experience sunny dives last November. LOL! I also concur with the other BTers "bring the bug spray and sunblock!" Have a blast and pose in front of the cams for us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Dugas (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 5:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the very helpful advice. Suspected the bugs can be a challenge there. Was in Hawaii last April. Will be sure to get some 30spf and up. Will be staying at Cpt. Don's. Hope to meet some of you there.
Cheers,
Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #887) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary,

Yep, still have them...can't wait to see you all!

Hugs!

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Polopolus (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2435) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phil, bring a pair of extremely lightweight long pants, especially for dining out, sitting at tables where the air is still.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl B (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #213) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 11:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sun block? OH YEAH! I highly recommend Bullfrog. I put it on in the morning and don't worry about it until after our second dive.

Cheryl
PBDing in a BIG way...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14792) on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 8:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz is right, bring the bug spray...it has been sprinkling every morning, evenign has thunder storms off in the distance, but it hasn't affected the diving (in my perspective)...it is great...plus, it's great to look up when it's raining to see the drops hitting the surface...so, in other words, it hasn't effected our diving since we got here almost a week ago!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #223) on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 5:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

we had a few mornings of some rain but not enough to spoil any diving. we got home last night after a 14 hour travel day...it was mid-50's in ohio and our house was about 63...i slept with a sheet, blanket, and a quilted bedspread...it sure was different that lows of 84 at night with no wind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Dugas (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 6:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow! First full day here and loving it! There was a storm over on Little Bonaire but beautiful where we are. Did first dive today and again, loved it. Still pinching myself that I'm here. Thanks for the weather imput. You guys were right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1966) on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 1:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

the wind is howling today..day 2 of wind..

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration