BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Trip Re[port for March 17-24
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2004-02-06 to 2004-07-31: Trip Re[port for March 17-24
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #336) on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 3:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another great trip to Bonaire.

We flew down on Air Jamaica with no problems at all. All transfers were smooth and our luggage arrived with us, always a good start to a vacation. The return trip was just as uneventful. We picked up our rental truck at AB rental, an older trunk with some “character” but fine for our needs. Having my new digital camera I took some picture of some of it’s character flaws.just in case they were questioned later (and they were not).

Then it was on to our new home Wannadivehut. This is a new operation ran by Bart and Bob of WannadiveBonaire fame, two very likeable guys. They have taken an over an older hotel and are making some nice improvements. It’s not the Plaza and not on the water but the rooms are clean, freshly painted, the TV and the AC worked so I had all I needed to keep me and my wife happy. I understand bigger and better things are on the way. If you need a 4 star place, it’s not for you but if you are looking for an inexpensive alternative, give these guys a try. Considering it cut my cost by about $500pp over my normal trip I was very pleased. I will stay with Wannadivehut again.
Wannadivehut

We dove various sites this trip including the Hilma Hooker, Oil Slick Leap, Windsock, Eden Beach, Bari and 1000 Steps. I had wanted to dive 1000 Steps for years but the thought of carrying tanks up the stairs had stopped me. No more, it’s not that bad and the site is worth the effort. The soft corals are in great shape at 1000 steps. With the help of the Wannadivebonaire staff, I found my first seahorse and saw my first frogfish and I have the pictures to prove it. We had the honor and privilege to dive with several BT members, Ashley, Wesley, Kathleen and Mikhail. If this board does nothing else, it brings people from all over together and creates many new friendships.
1000 steps seahorse
cactus shrimp

Eating out was great as always. We tried Bobbiejans for the first time. It’s the only place I know you walk through the kitchen to get to the tables but if you like food cooked on the grill, it’s great. Gibi’s on Tues night was a blast as always, there were at least 15 people there and as always, the food was good. Most mornings we are breakfast at City Café, that about as good a way to start the day as I can think of, good food on the waterfront in Bonaire. The only slightly disappointing meal was at the Rib factory. After all the good reports it has had, the food was ok but a little over cooked for my taste. Every place has a bad night so I will try them again. It was not bad but did not quite live up to my expectations. We also had great meals at Donna and Gorgieo, Lions Den and the small rest at Wannadivehut.

Well, PBD is stetting in again but at least I have my July trip to look forward to .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #337) on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 3:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And a few more pictures.

shrimp4 scorpionfish
donkey bluetang

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3344) on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 11:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great work with the new camera, Herman! Beautiful shots. Sounds like it was a terrific trip, too. Thanks for posting your report and photos. The colors are soooo beautiful! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen Kimmett (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5240) on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 3:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wonderful pictures and thank-you for your report! Sounds like a great time:-).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Igor van Riel (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2333) on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 3:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thx 4 sharing your trip with us Herman!
Nice pictures. Congratz on your first seahorse and frogfish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Igor van Riel (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2340) on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 4:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eileen,
what are u doing awake? Trouble sleeping?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1358) on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 7:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

SUPER PHOTOS..WOW

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Lott (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #927) on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 9:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Herman,

Wow! great pictures! Can you email a few, of the dive sites? I want to change my desktop and loved the 1000 steps one....

Also, what is your new digital? I am getting one before my trip in July and am sooooo torn....

You can email me privately if you'd like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #364) on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 10:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Awesome shots!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #338) on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 1:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly,

If you want, drop me an email from the here and give me your home mailing address and I will send you a CD with them on it. I have about 250 pictures you are welcome to.....now if you sell them I want a cut of the profit :-) Emailing them you get a lot poorer quality and would take forever..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #808) on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 4:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Loved your report!,Herman. Masha danki for sharing your terrific photo's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe brannan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #354) on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 7:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If i was a little less secure in my sense of worth.....I'd hate you for that seahorse pic. BUT I'm not and that is an AWESOME pic. Thanks for the post.

cheeser cheeser

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #339) on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 9:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well Joe, if that the way you feel about it :-)

seahorse3 seahorse5

seahorse7

And for good measure

frogfish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John and Carol Collins (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 10:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Unbelievable photos Herman. How about some more!! Carol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1071) on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 11:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Herman, I think your photos are super. But you know that... :-) Thanks for letting us see!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe brannan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #359) on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 11:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rub it in Herman.....Just rub it in

Great pics

cheeser

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leigh Ann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #889) on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 3:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great pics Herman! Glad you had a great trip. Do you have any of Wanndive Hut? Would love to see the inside! Wish we could join you in July, I'm still working on it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bret Coil (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 4:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Herman, what kind of imaging setup did you use? Those are some kinda nice pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #341) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 8:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would love to see you guys again Leigh Ann. I have some outside shots of WDH, I will drop you an email with some photos and more info.

Bret,
The camera is an Olympus C-5050 in an Oly PT-015 housing with a home built handle. I was using the internal flash and to be honest I don't remember which setting but seems like F-4 or 8 @1/100 sec in manual mode. I had to clean them up a good bit with Photoshop so I need to modify the setting. But seeing as this was my first UW try with this camera I am happy with the results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara Leary (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5220) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 1:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Herman, love the pics, they are just fantastic! :-):-):-) Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #516) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Herman,

Thanks so much for your post. Bart and Bob gave me a tour of the "Hut" in February and am hoping to stay there this fall. Was the sun deck "Faulty Towers" finished?

Saving $500.00 on each visit, means more visits possible to those of us not requiring 5 star surroundings. Plus if it rains real hard you can snorkel in the road out front;-{)}

Great photos also, made me Bonaire-sick!!!

I agree with your giving the Rib Factory another try. You are so right, every place has a bad day once in a while. I ate there in February and the ribs I had were as good as any I have eaten in the states. Except my wife's of course.

Thanks again,
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bart Snelder (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Tom Check out news again, should be fun for the future!!!!
Bart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Mueller (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2052) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Herman - great pics!!! thanks for sharing - when are you going in July!?!?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #345) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 2:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

July 3 to 10 and staying at Buddy Dive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Mueller (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2053) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 2:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Darn - Thought I may be able to get up with you - I will be there July 11 - 25 at Sand$.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration