BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: First Impressions Feb 9-16
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2000-07-13 to 2001-05-18: First Impressions Feb 9-16
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Moore on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 10:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Those considering a trip should understand Bonaire's unique features: splendid coral reefs and diving, but minimal beaches; a pronounced "Dutch" flavor; not overdeveloped like St. Martin and St. Thomas, but little night life for those so inclined.
Five of the seven days were partly cloudy with numerous brief tropical showers. The standing water also meant more bugs than elsewhere.
We stayed at Captain Don's Habitat-which we enjoyed. HOWEVER, this large diving resort has a wide array of accomodations and many do not have any ocean view, despite the impression in the brochure. If you're booking be sure you know what kind of unit you're getting. Nearby Buddy Dive Resort and Sand Dollar Condos looked like reasonable alternatives.
Restaurants we liked:Croccantino(A-),Rendevous (B+),Zee Zicht (B), Rum Runners(B). Garden Cafe is a tiny but unique Lebanese place(try it for lunch). Capricco had reasonable food but truly terrible service. Dinner costs about $40-65 for two.
We flew American to Curaco, with delays both ways in Miami. Heard much folklore (not positive) about ALM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nancy edison on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 2:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thomas,
I'm not sure whether to ask or rest easy in ignorance --since we are booked on the very airline itself -- but what was some of that
"folklore" you heard about ALM? I've read only positive accounts of travelling on ALM on this newsgroup, so far....
Nancy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 3:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nancy, you haven't been reading deep enough into this newsgroup if you think there are mostly positive accounts. I'm not saying they never perform well. They do. They had been fine for two of our vacations. But their record is very mixed. You take your chances. You've probably read some positive accounts because we consider those to be newsworthy!

There was a "week of disruption" last August which impacted our vacation, and it was not a surprise, just an unlucky, costly disappointment. For example, did you read about confirming your reservation over and over and continually during your stay? This is because they can't be trusted to keep your reservation. They claimed we were not reserved for our return flight after we arrived. They also seemed (at Flamingo Airport) to have no computer link to fix this. There are only about 7 jets making the ALM routes. When 4 were grounded in the same day, there were near riots in the terminal in Curacao.

This type of review for ALM is not unusual over the recent years, but it is also absolutely possible to travel with them without a single mess-up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

While we were there Feb 3-14 we talked to several people flying ALM who did not get their luggage for a day or 2. While we, on Air Jamaica, even with the plan problems (read trip report) still got all of our luggage and had no complaints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I meant plane problems

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I for one only fly ALM between here and Curacao or Aruba - I will not fly ALM to/from the U.S. any more - I just don't feel I can trust them to get me where I need to go when I need to go, with all my luggage. Too many annoyances, plus several 6+ hour delays, and similar things happening to friends.

I stick with Air Jamaica when possible, and use other airlines, like American, as a back-up out of Curacao or Aruba. I also prefer avoiding Curacao entirely as a port of transit. Can't wait for American Eagle or some other local airline to start regular Bonaire/Aruba service!

To put things into perspective, I flew from Bonaire to the U.S. and back about 8-10 times last year.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 3:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nancy, given some of the US airlines standards ALM is a fairly reliable airlines. Because of limited number of aircraft, if one plane has problems the whole schedule has to be re-arranged. This usually means your early flight is now in the afternoon, and your connections to Bonaire are late flights. On more than one trip to Bonaire I spent long hours in Miami International waiting for the "next" flight, but I have NEVER been left there overnight. I missed a MIA to New Orlean connection because of a delayed departure from Curacao but ALM provided a room, meals and ground transportation in Miami.

Luggage, ALM policy (real or myth) is passengers go first, luggage whenever...(grin) I always pack a change of clothes (t-shirt & swimsuit), my regulators, computer, and personnal articles in my carry-on. My bags may not make the Curacao to Bonaire flight that day but there are always on the 1st flight the following morning. The ONLY missing bags I know of was a friend whose hardcase with camera, housing, strobes, etc. etc. sat in the American Airlines lost and found until he returned to MIA to claim them. He spent most of his vacation calling about his equipment, ALM was VERY cooperative, the fault was with the A/A baggage service in MIA. My only word of caution is Do NOT pack valuables in suitcases going through Miami. Time and again Ex-Pat friends returning to Bonaire have complained of finding their bags opened or damaged and the only place they spent any time at all was Miami. You will find the ALM reservation, gate and flight crews amoung the nicest folks you will every meet in an airport.

Make sure you check in EARLY !!! The Bonaire desk in Miami will re-confirm your flight from Curacao to Bonaire. Be sure you re-confirm your return flight NO LESS than 72 hours before departure. I prefer to do this in person but you can call and re-confirm. There is a kiosk in the airport terminal on Bonaire specifically for this and on the other side of the Kiosh you can pay your departure tax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lonnie hoover on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Count on a 25%,50%and25% rule with ALM and you will not be disappointed. 25% of the time there will be a major disruption to your schedule(or luggage). By major I mean a 4+hour delay, and sometimes outright cancellations without explanation and absolutely without care or compassion. In fact when things are really bad with ALM service, the emlloyees seem to take a perverse satisfaction in seeing just how nasty they can be (especially to impatient Americans). 50% of the time there will be a minor problem, ranging from a lost bag arriving on the next flight after you, to flights being 30 min. to 4 hours late. Finally, 25% of the time everything will go near perfect and service will be good. In fact, service can be quite good and friendly. problem is, you don't know which ALM you are flying until you show up and board the plane. It's always a crap shoot. ALM is a lot like crime on Bonaire. If you fly ALM enough I gaurantee they will eventually screw you over---royally. Likewise, If you are a regular to Bonarie, you will eventually be a crime victim. You probablly wont be murdered or even held up, but you will have things stolen. Last time I was there some pathetic bastard cut the gas line to my jeep and drained the gas, rather than simply siphoning it with a hose.. I digress...Your best bet is to avoid ALM like the plague. It is only a matter of time until they kill people or just simply go belly-up because of staggering debt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lonnie you summed up ALM fairly well. I feel flying most airlines is a crap shoot, the worst service I have ever encountered Delta from New Orleans to Ft. Lauderdale.

As to the cut gas line, it was a wise move, inhaling or ingesting gas can be very hazardous to your health, siphoning is downright dangerous, in more ways than one :-).

As to becoming a crime victim, IF someone leaves valuables, and almost anything is valuable to those than have nothing, in a vehicle and abandon that vehicle for the better part of an hour you are not a victim, rather an interested party. I have been going to Bonaire for some time now and the only "crime" I am personnaly aware of was a bracelet stolen out of hotel room. A safe was provided, but the bracelet was left out. When beach diving the only thing we leave in the truck is solar showers and my towels. We never lock the truck because in a land of large pieces of coral laying around what is the sense. I figure if I lose the shower or towel somebody needed them more than I. We also have a cooler of ice and Amstel (for after then dive of course) and have never lose some much as a bottle, or we never noticed (grin).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lonnie hoover on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 7:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly, I assume your comment about the cut gas line was intended to be tounge in cheek. Aside from the humor, I can assure you the experience was unplesant, time consumming and very costly to me. As to the comments about crime, you are ofcourse correct that any fool leaving anything of value in a vechile is simply asking for trouble. The problem is, much of the crime on Bonaire is not limited to parked cars at dive sites, but in hotel rooms(sometimes while people are sleeping)and to people walking the streets. I know of many people in recent years who have been vicimized by crime, some petty and some very serious. If you are victimized, you can expect absolutely no help whatsoever from the police. You are simply on your on a foreigner in a foreign land with no one to turn to. It is a mistake to dismiss the cut gas line as a joke or an isolated episode. Crime on Bonaire is extremely serious, growing and a real threat to the touism economy of the island. If you are a regular visitor to Bonaire and you have not been touched by crime, count your blessings, you soon will be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 7:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lonnie, I certainly hope not yet since we have not encountered such unpleasantries on Bonaire yet! I have friends who have had crimes against them and it is true that the police did nothing.I do not understand the island gov. nor do I care to, I am a tourist yet even though we go repeatably, we do not live there all yr round and have to deal with it. Bonaire is still a very safe tourist island compared to many in the carribean and the airline flights are legendary.
We are some of the people who fly ALM to Bonaire for quite a few yrs now and have not had any bad experiences(true I always hold my breath),I subscribe to the theory "Luck of the draw when flying anywhere . We have tickets for June booked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What news is there about the American Eagel flights from Aruba,? agent knew nothing of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 9:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lonnie my comments as to the cutting of your fuel line were tongue in check, I see no humor in your distress. However my comments pertaining to crime on Bonaire stand, especially those concering taking simple precautions. I call New Orleans home and even on my home "turf", I try not to open myself to crime. Yes, the Bonaire I knew of years ago is no longer, so I also say to all that come, you are NOT in paradise, you are in a foreign country where we can spend more on one lousy dive trip than the mean income is. Do not bring your jewelry, if you have cameras do not leave them unattended, even at your dinner table or in your room. If you walk the streets at night avoid unlight pathways... We all know the precautions because we live in violent times. I feel that for you to say that crime on Bonaire is "extremely serious" is doing that island a grave injustice, the island government is aware of the problems, and I believe they are trying to correct the situation.

Is crime a threat to tourism? Sure any crime is a threat to tourism, but I firmly believe the answer is not scare tactics, rather simple education. Let us say to those that read these threads, "Are you coming to Bonaire/New Orleans/New York/Miami? Wonderful, here are a few simple guidelines that will make your stay safer and more interesting", rather than if you come you will be threaten, robbed, etc. FWIW...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 9:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine, the American Eagle flight are supposed to start the 1st of April from San Juan. I too call my American agent who knows nothing at all. They did say to try again early in March, it seems they did not anticpate getting permission...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Tymstra on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 2:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have never had a problem with ALM either (but of course know people who have). The only time we have had our reservations changed, it was actually to an earlier flight so it is always a good idea to check at the desk when you get to Miami!

We have always been treated very well by the ALM staff. I think it is important to remember that counter staff and flight attendants have absolutely no control over flight delays, etc. Often, they are only telling you what they have been told to say and may not know the whole story. They may be just as frustrated as the passengers, especially after being snarled at repeatedly. I find that a little kindness can go a long way towards getting better service and is a lot easier on the blood pressure! I have friends who work in the airline industry. If they have one seat available on an over sold flight, the person who was polite will get it - not the one who yelled! I save my growling for the people at the top who have the authority to change policies!

As far as Bonairean crime goes - I still feel a lot safer there than I do in most American cities!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 8:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We had no problems with Alm on 2/3( inbound)from Miami (except we were an hour late) On the way home 2/17 the flight was early arriving in Miami. Our biggest delays seem to be with American. Just some day I would like to be on the 7:30pm flight to Boston and have it leave on time. Getting home at 2am puts you in a time warp for days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nancy edison on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 11:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I had NO idea what an overwhelming number of responses that seemingly innocent question about the legends of flying ALM would elicit. Thank you one and all for your honesty and friendliness. I was originally aiming to fly on Air Jamaica out of Phoenix, but alas, was told that service would not begin until April. Having travelled all over the world in the past 15 years, I have encountered all sorts of hitches to well-laid plans, and I can agree that the best advice is to find the flexibility within oneself to realize how impermanent and unexpected things can be, and to do my best to roll with the changes. I was better at this when I was younger,
but as Kate said, friendliness and ease are better
for everyone's health, and then direct the well- aimed strikes at those who can do something about
whatever problems might arise. So, now I will keep it in mind to expect the unexpected. We have to stay overnight in Miami on the way there, so I
would hope AA can get our luggage to us.

Is it worth considering a change to Air Jamaica?

I have had a car broken into on St. John in the USVI, when my friend lost her $200+, but my camera and other "valuables" were left untouched (cash is the currency of choice for drug purchases...). We had looked the perpetrator right in the eye and said "hello" when we parked our car and left it full of stuff. I say this, because this guy had been known as a thief for at least a decade, only we didn't find out until after the theft. He was very professional -- not a scratch on the car or windows, and we had locked up. Even the glove compartment was locked where the $$ had been stolen from -- after the deed was accomplished!

Since we will be travelling to Bonaire w/ a child,
I will take the nighttime precautions of avoiding darkened pathways, and basically will leave almost all valuables either at home or in a safe.
And leaving the car unlocked with not a valuable within reach seems very wise.

As to the comment on "paradise" not being on Bonaire...I have come to believe that Paradise primarily exists within our minds, and the more we search the further away it moves. "Paradise" is
a great concept for the tourist business to try to sell willing believers. Meanwhile, great people
live and travel the world round, and I, for one, have been fortunate to meet many of you in my travels and at home -- and now here on Bonaire Talk. Thanks again for all your tips :-}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nancy edison on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 11:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK -- a bit long-winded there. (I like to write,
especially in the morning....)~ Nancy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 1:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nancy, one final comment (from me) on airlines. Although I tend to defend ALM and have used them in the past, now that IU have sufficient air miles I booked American Airlines from New Orleans to Miami and Curacao and an ALM turboprop puddle jumper from Curacao to Bonaire. When you get to Bonaire I hope you find our "paradise" or at the very least thoroughly enjoy yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 6:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know that it is stressful to start out a vacation with delays or cancellations or lost luggage. But with a known (possible) factor - ALM and their history - I think I will suggest to our group travelling the end of April is to RELAX, you're on vacation, have a drink (or 2) while you wait for the plane. If you get to the island a couple of hours late - so what - you can always stop by the food/liquor store in the morning! I always look on it that vacation started the minute I left home.
As far as opened luggage or lost items in transit it's always been out policy to carry on those items of value including camera gear, regulators, computers and masks (masks only if there is space). If we get to our destination and something is missing due to theft or forgetting to pack it - rent it or buy it (if it's not too expensive).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sherry baker on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 6:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i agree, i pack the camera, film, our essentials, and variety of clothing into the carry on luggage. - we also bring some snack bars along just in case of a hunger pang and nothing open. every year i pack less things and still we do not need it all. but gail is correct - RELAX - so what, big deal, have FUN it is Vacation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Linker on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Going to BON last week of Mar. for 2 weeks.
Flying ALM, MIA to BON. What is their carry on policy - size and enforcement? We travel light but have all snorkel gear in one bag. it should fit within size limits.
Hate to show my ignorance - what is a solar shower?
Looking forward to sharing our (great) experience in BON with others!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 6:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We will be looking for you on the cam Bill, Enjoy, you will!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 6:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, Bill. Jake said something about specific luggage size on another thread - perhaps he could post it again. A solar shower is a black plastic bag with a shower head attached. If you place it in the sun while you are diving, the contents become sufficiently warm enough - sometimes even downright hot - for a good rinse after a dive. Holds about 1.5 gallons of water. Or, if you are Cecil, undiluted tequila. Hope to hear from you again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 11:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

good new. Today, some tour companies in Bonaire receiveded notice from American Eagle that the first flight will be in June from San Juan to Bonaire. Now, just need Aruba to Bonaire to complete the deal, then hopefully, competition will breed excellence. Let's hope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 12:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can also make your own solar shower. Fill old 2 liter soda bottles with tap water and leave them out on the car/truck or lying on the coral while you dive. It's great for getting the itchy salt off your face and the sand off the feet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Wansley on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always pack one of those 5 gallon collapsible water containers with us for use after shore dives. Usually you can find them in the sporting goods or camping sections of your favorite store. It holds enough water for several rinses for you and any equipment (cameras and such). Have your buddy stand on the tailgate of your dive truck with the water and have an improptu shower. Works and feels great!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 5:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great idea for the solar showers - we used one on a sailboat we owned but never thought of it for diving (that's what you get when you are spoiled by liveaboards). I'll add one of my packing list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 12:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

An empty 2 liter soda bottle left on the dashboard of your car will also be a good way to recycle thoswe empties. It gets just as hot as the solar shower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I mean empty of soda and filled with fresh water..duh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Virginia L. Stokes on Monday, March 5, 2001 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks so much for the idea about solar shower - we've also done that camping, but never thought about it for after dives. We went to REI over the weekend and got a collapsible 4 liter bottle, and added the item to our "dive vacation packing list." Seems like a perfect idea for all the shore diving on Bonaire.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration