BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Susan and Geoffrey's December Trip 2002
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2002-09-26 to 2003-03-31: Susan and Geoffrey's December Trip 2002
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Wednesday, January 1, 2003 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Warning: this page is not for the bandwidth-impaired. If you're on a dialup modem, you may not want to look at this, all the images are big (200-500k)

The Bonaire December 2002 trip report

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie on Wednesday, January 1, 2003 - 1:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nice job, Susan! If I had to guess, I'd say that the large snapper-ish thing that followed you around on all the night dives at La Machaca was probably a snook. We had them following us a lot at that site at night. I actually ended up feeding one at one point -- shone my light on a pair of goatfish, and suddenly there was a flash of large snook flying by, and then there's only one goatfish left! That snook liked me a lot after that...

Faith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Wednesday, January 1, 2003 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks!

Could be, it sounds right. It actually got to be more pesky than the tarpon!

I actually started to tweak these pages some more after posting this, so if you got any errors while looking at them, sorry!

At some point I'll probably reprocess the photos to make them smaller, but I couldn't force myself to do that yet...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ida Christie on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay. I'm doing something wrong??? I get the first page and then the parrot.

Help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 11:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ida I started out like that too. use the left arrow on the right hand side..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 2:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Drat, I'd hoped using icons that looked sort of like the "start" and "end" icons used by Real Player and such would make it understandable. Also, if you hover over one of the arrows, it says "First" and "Last", and "Next" and "Back", with the photo description.

Anyway:

| = go to the next in the list (if you're on the last it will wrap around to the first)
>| = go to the end

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 2:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh crap!

The formatting tags just made that unintelligible.

I'll try again:

|\ = Next (if you're on the last image, it will wrap around to the first)
\>| = Go to the last

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 2:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Arrgh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 3:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, I think I've figured out how to get around this:

|< = Go to the beginning

< = go to the previous one in the list. If you're on the first one, it will wrap around to the last

> = go to the next in the list. If you're on the last one, it will wrap around to the first

>| = Go to the end

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob neer on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 3:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

wait for the white fill to show up in the arrow when dragging the mouse over it - then your browser is ready to get the next picture...

guess we have a new trunkfish queen :)

nice pics!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 4:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh sorry sally I forgot to say the pictures are great.. what kind of camera did you use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Igor van Riel on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 5:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great pictures, Susan!
Thanks for sharing :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 5:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, everyone.

I know, I know - there's something just too cute about trunkfish. When we were there in July we watched them slurping up tiny jellyfish, it was adorable!

It's just the Sony DSC P1, nice and little and unobtrusive. Aside from the fogging issues (and those never happened on 3 other diving trips so I think the difference was humidity in the rooms when we were setting it up), I was quite happy with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Incredible captures Susan! Thanks alot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Kacavas on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sue, I just spent most of my lunch time looking at your pics. Thank You!!! Denise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny Stokes on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 12:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I enjoyed your pix at home last night - cable modem connection - they are great! Enough, enough already with your amateur status! Clarity, composition, color - all perfect for a virtual trip to Bonaire. And remember, even when taking photos on dry land, it takes lots and lots of film, with many discards, to get just a few memorable ones... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 8:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Ginny and Denise!

I know, there are a lot and they're big. Cable modem or T1, the way to go for those puppies!

I haven't had a chance to downsize them yet - been a bit busy of late. Geoffrey went in for his hip surgery this past Monday, and even before the fact things were very hectic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 11:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, how'd Geoffrey's surgery go?

Faith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It went well. His dressings were changed last night, and the surgeon did such a nice job putting everything back together that the tattoo probably won't even need to be touched up!

He's started doing some PT, using a walker.

Yesterday he was moved into another room. His first roommate was from h*ll: snorted, farted, hiccupped, and honked and moaned and groaned constantly. Had the TV on 24 hours a day, hung the speaker above his head so everyone got to "enjoy" the TV he watched. He seemed to resent the fact that Geoffrey was moved in. The worst part was his theatrical barfing, at full volume with all kinds of added gurgles.

The nurses took pity on Geoffrey (and revenge on the barfer): they put Geoffrey in a bigger room with a nice view of Walden Pond, and moved one of the guys who'd been in that room in with the barfer: this guy was a chronic bed-soiler, and I'm not talking bed-wetter. I guess they decided to put the two most disgusting together. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh joy! Well, I hope his new roommate is a bit less... um, audible... I hope his PT goes well, and that he's out running miles soon... :)

If he's got a view of Walden Pond, I take it he's at Emerson?

Faith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 1:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WAS at Emerson, yup!

The insurance company, that everyone was convinced would drag their feet about the rehab, turned around so fast and sent Geoffrey on his way that his doctor didn't even know about it! True, I saw the doctor about my OWN hips this morning (I'm on the same course, and probably doing this all again on the receiving end in 4 or 5 years) and he was surprised not to find Geoffrey in his room this morning.

Geoffrey's now at the in-patient rehab center in St Josephs in Lowell, with a nice view of the projects. Not a great location, but the rehab center is clean and competently staffed, which is all that matters. Hopefully, he'll be coming home in 5 days or so.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration