BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Renee & Steve's Bonaire Do-Over part 2
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2002-09-26 to 2003-03-31: Renee & Steve's Bonaire Do-Over part 2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renee Bayes on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 1:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Day 3 - Friday

Today we were signed up for the 10:30 boat dive; so, we got up and had breakfast, then drove over to Carib Inn where we were told they had a good selection of wetsuits. Steve found a shorty for $75 - not bad! Of course he didn't bring his long wetsuit with him (he never listens to me), so he scurried back to our place to get it. He dropped me off in town on his way and I did some
browsing, and picked up some swimmer's eardrops at the pharmacy. He collected me on his way
back to Carib Inn, and he was able to find a shorty with the proper fit.

We kind of slept in again and did the 10:30 boat dive. This time we went to Jerry's reef off of
Klein Bonaire. Bart was our dive master, and we got a great picture of seahorse number 2 - they really do exist!! This time the sea was calmer so no seasickness - yay!

seahorse 5

Some other images from Jerry's Reef...

A crinoid on a Purple tube sponge
crinoid

Banded Coral shrimp
Shrimp

Spotted Moray
Eel

Grouper
Grouper

School
School

Once we got back to land we decided to pick up some sandwiches at Subway, and go look for the pink bus. Subway is sllllooooowwwww. It didn't help that we were anxious to get back under the water!

We found the bus at Alice in Wonderland, and ate our sandwiches under the canopy as we talked to the dive bus driver and some other divers who had just returned from their dive. Alice in Wonderland is a nice double reef dive. I especially like the garden eels in between the reefs. I have a special soft spot for garden eels, they're so shy and cute. Kind of like me

I didn't get many "keepers" from Alice in Wonderland. I kind of just held the camera and didn't snap many pictures. Here's one cool sponge I liked..

sponge

Afterwards we drove back to Buddy's to do another dive off of the pier. We had heard from other divers about a seahorse located near one of the boat moorings, so we wanted to look for it. We didn't find him, but we did see a cool blenny sticking his head out of a hole in the sand. Charlie the Tarpon (or a close relative) also paid us a visit. He's big! I'm glad we weren't on a night dive. I've heard of others who had their first introduction at night, and he can be intimidating.

Coney in the Harbor Lady's mooring block.
Coney

I was chilly on this dive. I attributed it to being our 3rd dive of the day, and later in the afternoon. I considered getting a hood to keep my head warmer, so after our dive we went to the dive shop to see what they had. I had seen lots of people with the Scuba Do Rags. They're awfully expensive $30 for what looks to me like a babushka. (For those of you who don't know what a babushka is, it's when you tie a bandana or scarf around your head and kind of leave the point out). Anyway, they had a cool baseball cap that was neoprene, but Steve said it looked stupid and he wouldn't dive with me if I wore it .

We got cleaned up and went down to the rum punch party at the pool bar. That's always a good time. There were a couple of big groups staying at Buddy and they all liked to party. We had a few drinks, then went to Cappricio's for Dinner. We both had the Lobster Pasta - Yummy and a nice bottle of wine. Life is tough on Bonaire.

We went back to Buddy's after dinner and joined the party again for a while, then we went to bed for some much needed shut eye.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Snorkelguy {Scott} on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 1:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wonderful pictures, thanks so much for sharing them with us. This certainly helps with the PBD & light deprivation over here in the Mid-Atlantic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renee Bayes on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 1:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Scott for the compliment! You're a tough act to follow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 2:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nice pics. Isn't the lobster pasta to die for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Igor van Riel on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 3:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks 4 the new episode Renee & 4 adding the pcitures 2 the previous one!
Makes me wanna go back....... :(
It's great 2 have a new day-2-day read. Thanks Renee!!! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great story and pictures, Renee. Love the Seahorse, one of the better pictures of a tough subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James & Margarite Hix on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 6:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Really nice clear shots of the sea horse! I loved the others too. m.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James T. McPeak on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Renee, the report is TREMENDOUS. I agree, Scott is a tough act to follow! However, you sure are giving him a run. Love the seahorse, and tht big old fat grouper!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration