BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Support Bonaire: Support Bonaire Needs
Project Ideas for Support Bonaire, Inc.:
Support Bonaire Needs
Hi Jake and Linda,
Are there any specific needs that Support Bonaire has right now?
Current projects we have received proposals for and would like to fund or support, would include:
- a Pager and radio system and license for Wowo di Bario (eyes of the community), a local community watch non-profit group working to increase neighborhood security and neighbor communications. Cost around US$5000.
- paintball gun(s) and paint balls with night-time reflective paints for the Donkey Sanctuary to both mark donkeys for better night visibility and a slightly negative reinforcement (the thump of getting smacked by a paintball during marking). Cost not known.
- tents for use during the annual Dia di Arte (art day) on Bonaire, in July - NAF 2250
- An industrial size washing machine for the Maria Hoppner Foundation (foster home for children with family difficulties)
- The Bonaire Animal Shelter could use as much Frontline tick/flea pipettes as can be donated. They get the larger dog sizes and then ration them. Also Dromtal deworming tables, as well as collars and leashes.
- We are also in need for computer monitors in good working condition (at least two), and at least two small computer printers in good shape.
We received a number of computers and peripherals from numerous sources, but some of what we received (monitors and printers in particular) arrived DOA, so we need to replace these. Alternately, funds to purchase new monitors or printers would be greatly appreciated. A new monitors, delivered to Bonaire is about $200, while a printer is about $120. Money for print cartridges would be of use as well (we have provided two new Epson C60 printers to local charities so far).
That's about all that we have in the queue right now, Scott. Thanks for asking, and thank you for your support too!
We are working (with Tom, whom you know) on setting up better marketing of our efforts. Hopefully the results of that work will be seen soon.
Yes Tom is the best PR guy you will find anywhere...glad to hear you are connected! I'll get back to you privately about some donations Sharon and I will make.
| By Glen Reem on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 2:17 am: |
Jake & Linda,
Congrats on the article about Support Bonaire in the Bonaire Reporter this week. I know you are not looking for praise but it is good to see your work recognized. Keep up the good work!!
I also just learned that the Donkey Sanctuary is in need of about $1200 to help pay for food for the donkeys they are taking care of, so that should be added to the list.
| By Sarah on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 4:49 pm: |
Unless someone has already done so, Hugh and I will give the Donkey Sanctuary the $1200 for food. We'll send over a cheque this week. Sarah
Wow! Thank you Sara!
| By Sarah on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 5:10 pm: |
If I can help with the tagging, I'll do that too, though we won't be there until end of June.
| By Cynde Lee on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 4:34 pm: |
Jake, we have 2 monitors and keyboards we could donate, but don't have the cash to ship them. Any ideas????
Support Bonaire, Inc. doesn't have any shipping accounts with UPS or other similar reasonably inexpensive shipper, unfortunately, and I don't believe you can ship UPS without prepay.
Any chance either of the companies you or Mike work for would be willing to contribute shipping costs?
| By Cynde Lee on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 8:42 pm: |
unfortunately, that would be a big no for both...fairly tight budgets. maybe there is a btalker out there that could donate the shipping costs, or maybe a btalker's company could...anybody? anybody? anybody?
| By joe bobich on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 12:47 pm: |
My wife and I will arrive 2 Jan. and may be able to bring a working computer and monitor, donated by my employer, Texas Christian University, to whoever needs them most. All we would need is documentation that they will be used for charitable/noncommercial purposes.
Could someone please help me contact whoever I should communicate with about this?
Drop Jake and Linda Richter and email. They coordinate the evaluation of donated equipment to SBI and disbursement also.
Thank you for thinking of SBI and the Bonaire organizations supported by SBI. Many have needs for computer equipment.
Joe - see http://www.SupportBonaire.org - it's a U.S. 501(c)(3) public charitable corporation, and if you drop the equipment off at the Bonaire "location" of Support Bonaire (our house) I'll see to it that you get a letter from SBI confirming the donation.
Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites