BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Loras and prikichis
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Flamingos, Parrots, and other birds of Bonaire: Loras and prikichis
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, March 7, 2001 - 9:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've been meaning to share these pictures for a while. We had a flock (+12) of Loras hanging around across the street every afternoon around 5pm for almost 3 weeks.

Here is the Lora
Lora
The Lora is larger than the prikichi. And to my un-scientific mind, flaps its wings more like a pigeon. It has feathery looking wings when it flies. The Lora is a sub-species of the Amazon green shoulder parrot.

Th prikichi has more sharp formed wings that appear smooth and it swoops around like a swallow. prikichis tend to be a loud bunch - lots of screeching. Loras talk a lot but to my ear are softer. The prikichi is considered a parakeet.
prikichi
You are more likely to see these than the loras.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Wednesday, March 7, 2001 - 11:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great pictures, Linda. Were the birds just passing through, or did they appear to be attracted to something in particular? Dog food maybe? ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, March 7, 2001 - 11:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Both birds eat fruit and seeds. The loras seemed to be eating out of one particular tree that had brown seed pods maybe 5-6 inches long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, March 7, 2001 - 11:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Both species definitely appaear to be Watch Birds
watching Linda!!!

And matched right and left 'handed' Prikichis. Is this a
Linda-trained pair, posing with food held for best show
to the camera? Well done, Linda!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 12:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for posting the Lora and Prikichi pictures, Linda. Have you heard anything more about the annual Lora count that was scheduled for last November but was postponed until early this year? We were birdwatching near Rincon yesterday and a woman invited us to her kunuku to see all the loras she said were there. Wow! There was a tree just full of them. I'd say there were well over thirty of them. We couldn't stay long because the woman was in a hurry but I am hoping to get back there next week to check them out at at more leisurely pace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 2:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda,thanks so much for posting these. Ellen's post says Lora count? Is there some worry about their number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 9:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Each year the lora population is counted to determine how many we still have and where they are. Unfortunately although the Lora is a protected species on Bonaire and world-wide, people still catch them for pets. Many loras are taken as chicks from the nest. A local education program has been implemented to teach the children about the loras. Many locals still do not know that it is illegal to take the birds. Technically speaking you are not suppose to keep them at all but the birds raised in captivity must continue to be taken care of. I don't think a plan has been figured out to license the current captive birds. Many loras are handed down to family and friends when people move off island.

I haven't heard anything about the lora count. I'll see if the Aliansa group has heard anything recently. If I remember correctly, the count was cancelled because it was determined that the birds were nesting late and they should not be disturbed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda, thanks for the pix! I had asked Ellen the other day about Lora's and Prikichi's....how funny! It had occurred to me that they were missing from this Avian celebration, and to me are a distinct part of the Bonairean landscape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Friday, March 9, 2001 - 1:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great photos, Linda. It was a thrill to see the "flock" across from your house while we were visiting. Alan and I also saw several small groups of Lora (we think they were) whilst driving around off the main road near Lagoen/Lagoen Hill, and felt blessed by those sightings also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Friday, March 9, 2001 - 1:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does Bonaire have a "national" bird?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller on Friday, March 9, 2001 - 9:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think that Bonaire has an official national bird, Hazel. Bonaire is most famous for it's flamingos, considered the island's signature bird, with the lora coming in a close second.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Saturday, July 7, 2001 - 9:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lora or Prikichi? We kept calling all the green and yellow screechers loras, last month. But maybe these were prikichis... Anyone know?

pair

Also, applause for Bob who took this photo, in the park, from the driver's seat...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Sunday, July 8, 2001 - 12:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Niki...don't know if it means anything or not...but if you look at the pix above, the Prikichi seem to have all-over yellow heads and breasts, and the lora, yellow faces but green breast, back of head etc. Unless it's an age-related thing, I don't know, of course, but I'd guess lora based on that...and a pair,too. Congrats to Bob, whichever they turn out to be..nice shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 2:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Niki, they are prikichis. You can see the differences between the two birds fairly well in these two pictures. The prikichi's bill, eyes and feet are darker and the feet are also smaller than the lora and the lora doesn't have any yellow on it's breast. Kerri, check the bird on the left in Bob's picture and you can see the yellow on it's breast. The color pattern of the prikichis head varies from orange to yellow , duller in young and immature. The parrot has a shorter tail, rounded wing in flight and a hollow wing beat. The prikichis flight is fast with rapid wing beats. You can also tell them apart by their sounds as Linda mentioned. All that said, they can be hard to tell apart sitting way up in the trees and the tops of cactus!

Lora on the left. Prikichi on the right.

Lora prikichi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 3:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ellen, Thanks. It was worth being wrong for the extra pictures....but I confess, I wasn't sure whether the bird on the left had a yellow breast, or whether it might be reflected light....at least I started on the right path....and a 50% chance of being right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 4:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mannnnn, don't you people ever sleep? I thought I was bad at this....wow...you both take first prize, at least Ellen does, cuz I know her time zone...Kerri, where are you in relation to the East coast USA or Bonaire....:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 12:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Ellen, I'm glad you gave us two new close-ups. Your photos are so great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 11:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Beautiful pictures, Ellen - We've missed you! What camera do you use? Everything is so crisp and colorful. (Actually, I know it isn't the camera - it's your talent!) Nice to hear from you. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 3:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, Barry, turanbout's fair play...I live in a place named by the Iroquois..some say "meeting place', some of the current Iroquois say the same word is 'town'. Those neurotic little rodents you said couldn't stand running water have lots of 'dam' business here. We fought the Americans 4 times from the old Fort that used to be on the Lakefront, but with time has moved..or the lake has. It is from here that an attack on the U.S. President's home which set it ablaze, resulted in the coat of paint that gave it the name "White House". I am a stone's throw from the moraine left by a retreating iceberg, and from the calcium carbonate that shows this area was once a tropical ocean....Besides the Iroquois, you would find the Huron,and other First Nations. Follow the path of the slaves escaping to freedom, a route you can still find today, and you will arrive eventually at this city, which is home to more than 170 nations and speaks 150 tongues...oh yeah...and with any luck will kick Beijing's butt and host the 2008 Olympics............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 6:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kerri,

I know Toronto for it's night life and a whole lot of business trips and personal trips. It's one of my favorite cities in Canada. In fact, I liked the Spaghetti Factory so much, that I named my deli on Bonaire, The Sandwich Factory. Is it still there? cuz, mine ain't. :) (as an English teacher, I love when I can use ain't)

BUT, my heart really lies about 100 or so km above Toronto. Algonquin Park. It is my dream park. It is the model from what all parks should be structured. I have spent many hours, days, weeks canoeing the cold waters, sleeping and exploring the hundreds of beautiful islands and observing the many many many beaver and moose, and all the other wildlife. I'm a canoehead from the word go. Algonquin is as peaceful as Bonaire, but less people. I could go 2 weeks canoeing and only see 4 people, and they were MNRs. And then I discovered SCUBA diving and the rest is history.

Yeah, Toronto is cool......So, why does someone in Toronto have a sleeping problem :) .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm with you Barry, Toronto is also our favorite North American city. It's also, luckily, our nearest "big city" (to Rochester, NY), so we get there as often as we can. Sometimes, however, our only connection is flying out of there, which is much more convenient for us, generally, than US cities. Love Canada3000!!!

We haven't been to the Spaghetti Factory for years --- must go again on our next trip. It is a LOT of fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By camerieresonia on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Beautiful picture of a lovely couple of birds THANKS SONIA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henk van der Meer on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 3:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

I'm new to this group.
I'm Henk van der Meer and live in the
Netherlands.
I'm breeding with 3 subspecies of the prikichi
On this moment I'm breeding with:
Aratinga pertinax aeruginosa, Aratinga pertinax surinama, Aratinga pertinax arubensis
My huby is taken pictures of birds, special parrots and parakeets.
I have many pictures of the prikichi, but I don't now how to get the pictures in a message for sharing.

I hope to have much joy from this group.

regards

Henk van der Meer

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration