BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Name for Bat "flocks"
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: The Bats of Bonaire: Name for Bat "flocks"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #443) on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

What does one call a bunch of bats flying out of a cave? A flock? A group? At roost? A colony? A bunch of bats flying out of a cave?

This is a serious question, not multiple choice. Please help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8611) on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I believe the collective name for Bats is a colony.. BUT I like a Bunch of Bats better...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom C. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4088) on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.cmzoo.org/bats.html says "colony" or "camp".

What is a baby bat called?

Aren't bats one of the prettiest sites at dusk?:-) Having them around is certainly better than using bug sprays or those obnoxious "zapper" things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Wallace (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #232) on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 12:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom is a baby bat a cudgel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 12:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A baby bat is called a pup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Hauser (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1124) on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree Tom, I love love love watching the bats flit around my house at dusk in the summer!

I agree with Jennifer... a baby bat is a pup.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom C. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4093) on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barry, thanks for posing your question earlier. You reminded me that I need to build and install some bat boxes in our back yard - SOON.

Good one Bruce but, in this case Jennifer and Becky are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #383) on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Boy! I remember while staying at The Cayman Diving Lodge on Grand Cayman. At dusk, hundreds of bats would swarm out of the vent just under the peak of the roof. I'm not kidding, hundreds. I often wonder if it's still so.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #444) on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I appreciate the responses so far. Thank you.

I think colony, camp or roost are the collective names for bats where they "reside", but I haven't been able to find anything on what they are called when they actually take flight.

They don't camp out of the cave, or colony out of the cave, etc. They XX out of the cave.

That's the name I'm looking for.

Could it be so simple as 'fly'? Duhhhh? Not very exciting if it is. :-)

Come on... someone has to know, yes? no?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1686) on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barry, all I could come up with is this which lists collective nouns for animals.
Good luck.
Mare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #445) on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Mare. After going through that list I realized how little I know about collective animals. :-) But, no bats, which does help me. It says I know what the creator of the list knows - nothing about a collective of bats flying out of a cave.

I guess I'll just have to tell my Russian English student to say, "Hey, look at them there Bats coming out of that there cave!"

Reminds me of M R Ducks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3100) on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OMG!
So few know about M R Ducks!

shall we share?

Mare, on Seb's computer

(Message edited by seb on April 18, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #446) on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mare,

M R DUCKS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1689) on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 2:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is a quick 'test' of how well one can understand Eastern Shore dialect.
Can U read this?

M R Ducks
M R Not
O S A R
C M Wangs
L I B
M R Ducks

go here to see what the heck we're talking about.

Mare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5504) on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 4:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mare, I have that on a coffee cup. I still laugh when I see it. Growing up in Maryland, we would say "let go shoot some flares behind the barn" to kick into an eastern shore accent (weird and I don't know why, it just worked).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr. Timmmmy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3211) on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 5:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When bat's swarm or fly out of a cave is called a Migration

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Migration is when bats go to a warmer climate for the winter months. I think when they come out of the cave it's called flying. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Snowfire (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #539) on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just came across this thread, and thought I would add that flying bats are known as a "cloud", but roosting bats are a "colony". (Just as geese can be called a "skein" in the air, but a "gaggle" on the ground.)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration