BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Yellow Oriole
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Flamingos, Parrots, and other birds of Bonaire: Yellow Oriole
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller on Wednesday, March 7, 2001 - 11:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to a tip from Peggy Bowen, I got these pictures of the yellow oriole.

Yellow Oriole Yellow Oriole 2

Yellow Oriole

This cousin of the Troupial is somewhat smaller and yellow all over with a black throatpatch, black wings and a black tail. Contrary to the Troupial, the song of this bird has been variously likened to the noise rusty doorhinges make or to caterwauling cats. However, it is capable of sweeter sounds, but they are less conspicuous and uttered less often than with the Troupial. It is less numerous too and on Aruba even scarce.

Their nests are remarkable long woven cilinders dangling from the tips of branches. They often prefer tamarind trees for their nesting and in one tree old and new nests can be seen hanging next to each other. It scurries through bushes looking for insects, its main food staple. Occassionally it may also eat fruits. Text from the book Our Birds by Dr. Bart A. De Boer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Wednesday, March 7, 2001 - 11:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Again: gorgeous photos! Thanks, Ellen and Peg :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 2:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

How handsome this fella is. Is the beak curved just at the tip? Or dead straight? I guess straight for insect eater esp. on the ground? How big?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peggy Bowen on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 11:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ellen has a bunch more great pictures of the yellow oriole - I am sure she will post more if asked.
And Jerry Ligon sent me, thru Ellen, his reference list of Bonaire Birds. I know he would like more people to know about this list.
Kerri - beak is straight. Have watched them 'eat ants' and some fly like things. The introduced Troupial is taking over the oriole's territory - we saw lots of Troupials in the park this year but very few orioles (unlike the past trips to the park many years ago (early 80's) where nests would be hanging from many trees.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 12:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Peggy,

Can you please create a new subtopic under this section (Birds...) and post Jerry's list there? It would be a great resource!

Thanks,

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Do Bonairean Yellow Orioles also like cheap grape jelly and oranges? I have a Baltimore Oriole that uses a 60 ft Cottonwood in my yard for nesting. There are now the remnants of three nests hanging, interestingly all on the south side of the tree, at about 50 ft. In an interview with David Sibley (Sibley Guide to NA Birds)on MN Public Radio last Monday, he indicated that male Orioles have not only a common song, but develop their own unique song phrasings, which they sing throughout their life. So, if you learn the individual's song, you can positively identify that bird year to year. I do not know if this applies to all orioles, or only the northern variety.

Speaking of singing - the Cardinals and House Finches have been filling the air with song for about a week now.....must be they believe Mother Nature is recoving from her drunken stupor!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 3:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,

Can you set up special areas/threads which do not
'disappear' after 24 hours? So new and old members
know they exist. For things like Jerry's list and the mug
shot gallery. Something you can edit to keep to long
term items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 3:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, unless we delete something or the server glitches, we never have any threads or messages disappear, after any amount of time (this is a sore point for certain parts of the Bonaire tourism community which would prefer some messages to vanish as soon as they are posted, and if not then very soon thereafter :-) ).

So, if Jerry's list is posted, it remains available at all times.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 4:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Should we ask Jerry for permission to post his bird list? Or ask if he will post? I have a copy from him from last November, and he periodically updates it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peggy Bowen on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 4:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think you should ask Jerry to 'post' his list -- or maybe I can post a list on 'my' website or can help format something for another website....
but it is Jerry's list -- will e-mail it to Jake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, March 8, 2001 - 11:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,

My 'disappear' in marks was because posts/threads do
drop from the 'Last Day' and 'Last Week' presentations.
They are not visible to new arrivals and not as easy for
the rest of us to find as it would be if there was a link
type thing, perhaps in the bar at the bottom or threads
that stayed in the 'last day' and 'last week'
presentations. I think you said earlier that that kind of
thing would mean you had to hack each update of the
software--that is why I was looking for a compromise
that would be good for you and for us too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Friday, March 9, 2001 - 12:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, while the threads might disappear from "last day" or "last week", you can view the Topics page, also a button, and under each Topic you see each thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Friday, March 9, 2001 - 12:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Niki,

Read my last again, carefully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller on Friday, March 9, 2001 - 9:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dara, I don't know about cheap grape jelly. This yellow oriole sampled the orange and then flew off to eat more insects.

yellow and orange

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Friday, March 9, 2001 - 11:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Peggy,thanks. Webster must have eaten your post, so didn't see it 'til today. Why was 'troupial' introduced? By Nature? By design? I know Hawaii and some other places are having problems with plants and animals that were accidental migrants and found the climate and soil perfect. Even just 1 plant in someone's garden as a reminder of home.Are the Troupials damaging Oriole eggs, like a Jay? Or out-competing them for food? Or is it population/habitat since Ellen says they are scarce on Aruba,too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Friday, March 9, 2001 - 11:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops, remembered Ellen said Troupials are egg-stealers. But they seem to have got a heck of an edge since they came...?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 12:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kerri, this is an excerpt from a wonderful but unfortunately out of print book "Birds of the Netherland Antilles" by Prof. K. H. Voous. I am trying to find a copy of this book for myself!

Troupial...OCCURRENCE: Originally restricted to Aruba and Curacao, where common and widespread. Has been introduced in Bonaire from Curacao in January or February 1973 (6 birds) and May 1975 (12 birds, FCL). First nests in Bonaire found March 1974. Apparently settled since and is thriving! Already by 1976 had spread from Kralendijk to at least Onima and Goto (FCL). Though done with the best of intentions, the introduction in Bonaire is ecologically to be rejected and therefore to be deplored. Inter-specific competition with Pearly-eyed Thrasher Margarops fuscatus has to be feared.

The English version of this book was published in 1983 so, as you can imagine, the troupial is even more common now. You can see the troupials just about everywhere on the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 1:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You read my mind. I was going to ask a name. This stuff happens everywhere. Biologicals were introduced into Lake Ontario to do something or other. Then Lamprey Eels.Or maybe we had those. Now some ship brought us a present of Zebra Mussels,and they're ready to introduce something to 'naturally' prey on Zebra Mussels.If there are hardy Northern Crocodiles, who eat Zebra Mussels, please don't tell them. .....So Orioles lose unless they take out some Troupials? Although it seems like even that would be temporary....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 1:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ahhh, and I remember the curse of the introduced Australian pine( Causaurina equisetifolia L.) from my time living on Sanibel Island in Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 2:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yup.And all the pippy-poo garden folk are telling us to plant Bamboo!! Could I hear the folks in the Southland comment on Kudzu?...Easy!.... gentlefolk read these boards....Like my Mom used to say, 'Your grandmother could be your grandfather if she had whiskers'. And they want permission for humans to mess with DNA? First we gotta figure out 'geraniums'!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 9:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bravo Kerri, nuff said

Barry Baker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By camerieresonia on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

VERY SUPER PICTURE, thanks SONIA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Ribbens (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ellen, I'm new to Bonaire message board. I'm a Michigan transplant living in Savannah, GA for the past 21 years. I've been birding for years and I would like to get ahold of a book on the birds of the Bonaire/Aruba areas. I recently made my first journey to Aruba and have vowed to return to those islands and do more exploring. I just found a copy of the Pompiamentu dictionary and study guide...it's a language I would like to learn. Let me know where to get a bird book, if you would please. Or anyone else reading this. Thanks all!!
BTW...I know what you're saying about the zebra mussels. Lake Michigan has it's share also. When I was growing up, it was the alewife fish that littered and stunk up the beaches.

Charlie Ribbens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #239) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 2:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ellen
I see one "Birds of the Netherlands Antilles" in Amazon. A pretty stiff price however,$58. I think it refers to one copy,so if you really want it move quick.
Mickey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6968) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 2:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

try this one on ebay it is in Dutch.. $5 one day left for bidding..
http://books.search.ebay.com/Birds-of-the-Netherlands-Antilles_Books_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsacatZ267

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #379) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 4:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Mickey and Freddie, I later found a copy at the Bonaire library and had it printed out!

Charlie, welcome to Bonaire Talk. Have a look at this article on Bonaire Birding, there are some books recommended...
http://www.infobonaire.com/birdwatching.html

Jerry Ligon also lists his book recommendations in his bird list...
http://www.mina.vomil.an/Eilandinfo/JerryLigon.html

2005 list is here....
2005 Bird List

Here is a recommended list for Aruba...
http://www.arubabirds.com/aboutBirds/BirdsofAruba-RecommendedFieldGuides.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Ribbens (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 5:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks All...especially you, Ellen, Mickey and Freddie!
I'll pursue your leads and let you know what I end up with. Mickey, I did find the guide you mentioned, but $58 bucks? Hmmmm.... Freddie, though I'm of direct Dutch heritage (grew up in Holland, Michigan) I was never taught Dutch...so...
Have a great day my new friends!

Charlie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirkpatrick (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have new visitors at our southern California home. It is a Yellow Oriole and has been eating out of our hummingbird feeder for the last couple of weeks. We think that there is a pair as we see a lighter yellow bird also at the feeder. I thought that these birds were more tropical, like South America.

I would send along a picture if I could figure out how to include it in this message.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Moderator) (Moderator - Post #2) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Don,
Welcome to Bonaire Talk.
How to post a picture:
When you first found Bonaire Talk, there is a section on formatting towards the bottom of the initial Bonaire Talk home page.
If you prefer, click on the formatting icon on the bottom of this page, go to the section on Other Formatting, then to Images, Attachments, and Clipart and follow the directions.
I would love to see your pictures of yellow orioles.

Mare
P.S. While you're poking around looking for formattting, you might as well take a moment or two to click on the BonaireTalk Posting Policy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirkpatrick (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to Mare in pointing me in the right direction for adding pictures to my messages.

As I indicated in my last message we have a pair of Yellow Orioles in our back yard feeding from the hummingbird feeder.

Yellow Oriole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Moderator) (Moderator - Post #465) on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don, welcome to Bonaire Talk! The pictures also have to be under 50kb. If you have problems with sizing, you can always email it to the moderators at moderators@bonairetalk.com and we can help you out.

BTW, I'm just a little North of you in Dana Point! Nice to have another So Cal person on the board. We are having a "mini-meet" up my way in August, Check it out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1769) on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Don,
I used Adobe Photo Shop Elements, resized the photos, corpped them a little bit, and then saved for the web.
You can scroll over the pictures to see the label.
Yellow Oriole in Tree
and
Yellow Oriole at Feeder

Mare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jennifer Eveleth (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi So Cal people:

My husband and I were walking in the canyon just north of Laguna beach on Father's Day and saw the same guy!! Well, I don't know if it was the same guy, but you know what I mean

We live in Carmel Valley just east of Del Mar. I have set up as much of a bird friendly back yard as I can, plus took a birding class last fall. I am orginally from CA, but spent the last 12 years on the east coast and one of the few things that kept me happy (sorry east coasters, I just could never get the hang of cold) was the plethora of birds I could get to come to my yard. I am pleasantly suprised by the number and variety I have here. One of the things I enjoy doing on Bonaire when I am not in the water is birding. Great stuff.

Thanks for the photo, bye! Jennifer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kini - Bubble "no trip in sight either" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2158) on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jennifer, my husband and I grew up in San Diego, I went to Mission Bay High School (many moons ago...lol). Check out the link to our next left coast mini meet in August in Dana Point!

I have seen the yellow orioles in our hummingbird feeders as well, but could never manage to get a picture of them because as soon as I got the camera out, he would see me and fly away. I did some research a while back on it, and it seems that they come to our area once a year to mate...don't know if that's true or not, but we don't see them year round. Seems to be in late spring and early fall...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirkpatrick (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, July 2, 2007 - 11:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mare,

Thank you so much for your help with the photos. I will get better photo software so that I can do my own sizing.

Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1777) on Tuesday, July 3, 2007 - 2:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You're welcome Don,
Glad I could help.

Mare

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration