BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Too many donkeys?
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Donkey Sanctuary: Too many donkeys?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Wahlig on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 3:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Two years ago, we where in Bonaire and seeing a donkey was a special sighting. To see one on the side of the road was worthy of stopping to look. This year I was shocked to see such an explosion in the population. There were so many donkeys, that I started watching for them as road hazards.

I would simply like to raise the question: Has anyone in the know evaluated what population of donkeys can be sustained by the habitat of Bonaire?

If there are too many and they eat all of their food source, what happens to the flora and fauna of Bonaire? To the donkeys?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 12:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Suspect the populaton hasn't changed that much in 2 years--water availability has, and therefor food in their wilderness. Earlier threads have talked to donkeys coming to habitation this year for both. Sustainable population depends on environmental conditions, as it does for us. Doubt anyone has that sort of number but perhaps the Sanctuary people have thoughts about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 8:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glenn...you are probably correct re population. I am having a meeting with Marina, re encouraging folks to STOP feeding the donkeys by the road side. They really are not wild animals and do let folks approach them with handouts. This has caused serious threats to donkeys, motorists and joggers alike! Stay tuned for a follou up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 12:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good for you, Michael.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz Ginocchio on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 11:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, As much as we enjoy the donkeys I Have to agree, something has to be done. During our last trip (end of June beginning of July), Ed accidently left the gate open to our yard. Later that evening (it was dark) he went to take the garbage out, well it was one of those you had to be theres....but I heard two screams...one from my husband and the other from the donkey who walked into the yard and knocked the garbage can over to see if there was anything to eat!!!! The had frightened each other. Needless to say we both make sure the gate is ALWAYS!!! closed. We will be back down November 25-Dec 2 and will bring a weeks worth of NYT for you...the new computer is up and running and thanks re: our website...can't wait to revamp it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 11:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My daughter lives right behind the Voz di Bonaire radio station. One night, with the front and back living room doors open, 'several' donkeys thundered through the room, out and over the backyard fence. Doors are closed since.

In June, I was eating dinner out at Kon Tiki when a donkey looked in the back door of the dining room, then the front, then went around to the kitchen door. Miriam said that had been happening during the drought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 10:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen...just goes to show how welcoming G's house is.....:):):) I'm sure it would help me decide to keep the doors, too, welcoming or not. :) Good thing no one was hurt.

I had about 9 to 11 that would come around the house about 11pm or so...of course, I was closer to the mundi bush than G. The drought definitely drew them in towards town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Schroedel on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 1:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Donkey population is on the decline; now around 200 plus or minus. Drought and cars have contibuted to this decline. Gov't reportedly wants to kill all the donkeys but had *promised* a plan whereby Sanctuary could take care of entire population. Sanctuary still waiting for the plan. Police have allegedly killed donkeys for the "sport" of it. These animals served the population well as beasts of burden until cars arrived about 50 years ago. Now perhaps too many seek the "final solution" instead of the "compassionate" one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 5:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wish I could do more to help....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Schroedel on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sarah,
It is the feeling of many that the *main* reason donkeys are still alive on Bonaire is that the Government has responded to public support and pressure. Besides making contributions to the Sanctuary, perhaps you and your friends and contacts might consider writing the Government and ask that they follow thru with a plan whereby the Sanctaury would care for all the donkeys on the island. This approach would eliminate the problems between donkeys and people that now exist and, at the same time, provide humane care for these animals. It takes a hard heart indeed not to be *touched* by the donkeys' plight, especially after having made a visit to the Sanctuary.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration