BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Satellite Tracking of 'Tom' week of Oct 24
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: STCB (Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire): Satellite Tracking of 'Tom' week of Oct 24
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #121) on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 10:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Friends,

Male hawksbill 'Tom' continues on the move, now again towards Puerto Rico. He swam some 70 km in the last 24 hours. At this rate he may reach suitable habitat near the islands around next Wednesday or Thursday. At the moment his is in waters that are nearly 5000 meters deep.

These last few days we have been looking for adult hawksbill turtles around Klein Bonaire to place another transmitter on, so far without luck. Our next step is to patrol No Name beach at night starting Monday to see if the turtle that nested two weeks ago returns to lay another nest. Hopefully, not all the adults have departed yet. Also, the Rangers from Washington Park reported recent green turtle nesting activity at Playa Chikitu, so we may go out there to await the return of turtles there next weekend. Should we be successful there, than it would be the first green turtle that we track from Bonaire.

We will keep you posted,

Robert P van Dam

Project Director
Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire

PO Box 492
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Netherlands Antilles

phone (599) 717 2225
cellular (599) 790 0433
email stcb@bonaireturtles.org
website www.bonaireturtles.org
map

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #708) on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andy & Robert

Many thanks for the update.

Good luck Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #122) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 2:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Friends,

'Tom', our male hawksbill, continues to move in a north-northeasterly in the general direction of Saba. As with the day before, 'Tom' is spending very little time at the surface and traveling at a daily rate of 60 km. He is approximately 570 km off Bonaire.

Once again, the team patrolling No Name Beach in search of a nesting hawksbill to fit a satellite transmitter on failed to locate one. Tonight is probably the last opportunity will we have for discovering a nesting hawksbill on No Name Beach..

Best regards,

Andy Uhr

PO Box 492
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Netherlands Antilles

phone (599) 717 2225
cellular (599) 790 0433
website www.bonaireturtles.org

map

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1204) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andrew,
Thank you for taking the time to post the trackings for us. I find them very interesting. I just came back from Bonaire on the 17th and I was priviledged to see two turtle releasings on Kline! One was loggerheads and one was hawksbills. They were incredible to watch. I also saw the resident turtle with the back fin missing and many others this trip! I saw so many that I actually lost count! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Belinda Z (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #204) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 9:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andrew,

I would like to extend my thanks also for the time you invest in keeping us updated. Please know that it is greatly appreciated!

Darlene,

I'm glad to hear that the turtle with the missing fin is doing well - we saw him (her?) back in February and feel rather attached now :-) I know I'll be devastated if I don't see him/her next March. Maybe I should start a "Have you seen this turtle" thread so I'll know he/she is okay.

Anyway, thanks.

Belinda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #123) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Friends,

'Tom', our male hawksbill, continues on in the direction of Saba. Yesterday, 'Tom' covered around 40 km and is approximately 600 km off Bonaire.

Yesterday morning, during the routine monitoring of No Name Beach, a new hawksbill's nest was found. It seems the turtle we had hoped to fit with a satellite transmitter the previous night came ashore sometime after we had left the beach. Its our best guess that she is the last nesting hawksbill in the area. There is a chance she will remain here a while longer and attempt to nest again in approximately 2 weeks.

We have also had inquiries about 'Extra' the female loggerhead we tracked earlier in the season. We are still getting signals from here transmitter daily. 'Extra' is still in the same location previously reported, about 150 km off the coast of Honduras.

We will keep you posted.

Best regards,
Andy Uhr

PO Box 492
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Netherlands Antilles

phone (599) 717 2225
cellular (599) 790 0433
map

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #713) on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 2:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andy

Has there been any signals as to Tom's progress.

Regards

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #127) on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 4:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No further signals have been received from either 'Tom' or 'Extra'. We were hoping the problem was on the satellite side of the setup but we have been informed by the Argos satellite system staff that they are no longer receiving any signals at all from either transmitter. It is very strange that both transmitters would fail the same day but that is what appears to have happened.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #714) on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 4:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andy

Sorry to hear that, it must be very frustrating for you. Let's hope that you are right and that Tom and Extra make it back to Bonaire.

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #129) on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 2:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you consider that we are mixing a wild animal, electronics and saltwater together, problems have to be expected. We have had very good luck to this point. Thanks.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12665) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 7:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Awe, that's a bummer that you have lost the signal for both...I hope Tom made it to Saba:-)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration