BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Birding Info Needed
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Flamingos, Parrots, and other birds of Bonaire: Birding Info Needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nitrox Mike (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, August 8, 2004 - 10:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be in Bonaire in September and would like to take at least one birding trip while there. I have seen several recommendations on using the services of Jerry Ligon but have been unable to get in touch with him. Does anyone have a current email address for him.

Also does anyone know where I could purchase a CD or cassette of bird songs of Bonaire so that I might learn a few before arriving ? Any other suggestions or birding tips would be appreciated. Hope I receive some responses but it seems this group may have "migrated" to parts unknown.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Johnson (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Monday, August 9, 2004 - 1:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You might try http://www.discoverbonaire.com/nature.html or http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/771/61810.html#POST104695

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #750) on Monday, August 9, 2004 - 10:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The best chance of seeing the flamingos up close is at Gotomeer, with the road along the salt pans the second best bet. The Banaquits (Chibi-Chibi's) like to hang out around restaurants and patios where sugar has been put out for them. Troupials and Yellow Orioles will sometimes come to the sugar also. Parrots and parakeets are hit or miss, your ears are the best way to find them. They often are in town during the early morning and late afternoon. The Ani's hang around town a fair amount. Some of the other birds hang out in the park at spots where they know they will get handouts. Otherwise just look for the birds in their favorite types of habitat. Quite a few transients will be on the island on their way to points south at that time, so bring an eastern US bird book along. I will be on the island during the entire month of September. I am not a bird "watcher", I call my self a bird "looker" since I don't keep lists or such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rozelle Wright (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 8:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This e-mail address works for Jerry Ligon jcligon@flamingotv.net
My son and I took a tour with him July 30th and saw a lot of birds. I first gave the old address in my trip report and then found the right address. I inadvertently left a birding book in his car, so I know this one works. See the bird section of my trip report: http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/1022/175984.html?1092142704

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration