BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Adopting a Baby Donkey (was "I'm Cheating")
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Donkey Sanctuary: Adopting a Baby Donkey (was "I'm Cheating")
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullett on Thursday, January 4, 2001 - 10:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know that I should post this message in Bonaire Talk but there seems to be more activity here. And, this picture is cuter than the guy mooning everyone! When we returned from our trip in October, my wife, Su, "adopted" this baby donkey from the sanctuary. We won't be back until this October and she'd love it if someone going to visit would bring "Elly" a bag of apples.
Elly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullett on Thursday, January 4, 2001 - 10:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

P.S.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 11:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike

I am going Jan 20th. I will bring Elli some apples.
I also have a donkey there. What a nice job Morina is doing. (spelling of her name is not right, sorry).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dawn Pacheco on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 12:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That picture is just too cute! I wish I was going to Bonaire so I could bring a bag of apples too. What's all this about adopting donkey's? How can I find out more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 12:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

She is a cutie, Michael. Dawn, you can find more information about the donkey sanctuary here:

Donkey Sanctuary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Mullett on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 2:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks so much, Jerry. I knew I could count on this group. Having a "pet" on Bonaire adds a new dimension to the trip, doesn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan
We use to stay at the Bonaire Beach Bungalows. we had cats, dogs, donkeys, and 5 big green Igu's.
Every Am A donkey would come for his apple, and what ever he could eat, dive bags, shoes, t's.
We loved that about Bonaire. But, in time there will be no donkeys left, some of the people on Bonaire are not very nice to the donkeys. I do hope things change. I will do whatever I can to help, as you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Newsgroup Moderator on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, Michael, but we need to attempt to keep some order on the site, so I moved the topic where it belonged. However, take heart - anyone looking for recent postings will easily find this thread.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 5:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cute photo, Michael...between that and the photos on the donkey sanctuary website, my daughter also now wants to adopt a donkey during our trip (by the way, great website there with all the photos...kudos for the sharp work go to NetTech NV---who are those talented people, anyway ?)
Its a great deal, actually...didn't realize you could do that until we saw it on the website a few weeks ago. Nice way to be able to help out, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Mullett on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 11:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, the photo was e-mailed to us by Marina, who runs the sanctuary. She does a great job of keeping in touch.
Robert - I know your daughter will love visiting and hope that she adopts.
To the Dive Cam Group - sorry I conned Michael into posting there but everyone always mentions their upcoming trips and I wanted to get the donkeys some more visibility. We didn't visit until our fourth trip to Bonaire and I am very sorry about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Sunday, January 7, 2001 - 12:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey this is a great idea!, Since we all care in some way or another to help out the island in some way, it could add up to alot Maybe we cann't take on a project as big as a beach but there are other things that you can find to help out. The Reporter always posts ways you can help.It's always appreciated. Adopting a donkey sounds like fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lise Dews on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 3:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just saw Elly and she has grown since the picture...she is very cute and both my girls took turns petting her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sherry baker on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i could all let you adopt me, and i could live on bonaire, i would be very good to keep in touch and send photos that i am not starving and am well cared for by all the contributions of you wonderful people. ( i am kidding, sort of)!!!

seriously, adopting a donkey is a rather cool, idea, besides, i have been called things resembling a donkey .. lol!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullett on Sunday, March 4, 2001 - 9:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

(From Su M.)

Thanks so much for reporting on Elly, Lise. Elly (and Marina) sent me a card and an updated picture of her two weeks ago. (They are very good about keeping in touch with "adoptive parents".) I couldn't believe how big she was - I actually wondered if she was pregnant but hope that she's still too young! Was she gentle with your daughters? I won't be able to visit until October and really appreciate your post. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 3:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is a shot of my husband, Joe, feeding our newly adopted donkey, Joy. We did get to visit with Joy last October while he was just a wee little baby....he has grown since then! This is our first adoption but will not be our last. If you love animals and would like to help out the wild donkeys of Bonaire, then you should visit the Donkey Sanctuary run by Miriam on the Island. If your pocket/purse can afford to do so, you should consider adopting a donkey for one year. There are now 47 donkeys living at the sanctuary. They do wonderful things for these gentle animals. If you cannot afford to adopt one, you can make any amount of contribution you can handle....even if it is only a few cents or a few dollars, etc. Here is Joe and Joy in May 2001.Joy and Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 3:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops...the correct name is Marina! My apologies!! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 3:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael Mullett: I believe Joy and Elly were the two little babies we saw in October...if you look closely, the other critter being fed in the picture I just posted is Elly...she is to the left of Joy (the darker one in the pic). I will post a better pic of Elly taken this May for you, OK?elly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullett on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 8:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks so much for the update and pictures. Elly
must be all grown up now!! We won't be there until October to see her ... and the others. I had always donated money at the airport but am
ashamed to say that it took me 4 trips to actually visit the sanctuary and adopt. Marina and her staff are doing a wonderful job and I encourage all to visit - bring apples.

Look forward to the updated picture of Elly.
Thanks.
Su M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No, Michael, she is still a growing young lady! That is Elly in the second picture I posted. She and Joy are still being bottle/formula fed as well as plenty of apples and the such! She is as cute as ever, tho. Just so sweet. They are much bigger than you last saw them in October 2000, but they are not fully grown-up adults as yet. We did bring tons of apples for the entire crew and they all thoroughly enjoyed them! Here is another shot of some of Elly & Joy.Hope you can see her a little better in this one.donkey sanctuary

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration