BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Bonaire Marine Biologist "Did you know..." Lessons
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Fish and Sealife of Bonaire: Bonaire Marine Biologist "Did you know..." Lessons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A place to learn more about marine life on Bonaire has just been established. Caren Eckrich, a Marine Biologist living on Bonaire, is creating weekly "did you know...?" lessons about different marine creatures at this Website http://ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html. Right now she has lessons posted about Razorfish, Octopus, and Parrotfish. One more lesson will be added each week!

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ida Christie on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 11:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the site. Had no idea about the parrot fish. (sand) will never be the same....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 5:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the site, Scott! Have added it to my "FAV's" and passed it on to some landlocked kids I know...and their parents, as well! I will work on the kids to talk their parents into meeting us on Bonaire one of these days! Not fair the way I am doing it, but it just might work! Great site. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerard geertjes on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 11:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sand production in progress.....

sand

This redtail parrotfish (Sparisoma chrysopterum) is also in the business of sand production. Who said the beaches of Bonaire are just a load of crap?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sherry baker on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 11:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

what a nice clear photo - seems he is doing what he does best!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 11:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gerard..:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerard geertjes on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 9:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Look what I just found in the REEF CAM archive……talk about sand production!

stoplight sand 1

and later that same day....

stoplight sand 2

b.t.w. Sarah and Sherry, thanks for the compliments!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are strange creatures. We just love to jump into a mixture of decay, debris, and excrement!

Can't wait to get wet again!

Thanks for the picts Gerard. And, thanks for letting Caren's "Biologist's Corner" use your photo...much better than the one I shot!

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Sunday, August 4, 2002 - 10:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another "Did you know?" lesson about starfish has been added today at http://ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 9:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Do you know what a Moray Eel is doing when it opens it's mouth and shows you all those teeth? Bonaire Marine Biologist Caren Eckrich just added another "fishy lesson" about Morays at..

http://ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cristin M. O'Hara on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 3:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yea! My very first posting after a year of "lurking"! Finally figured out how to create an e-mail address that would work for this board (the Irish apostrophe thing didn't work with the board mechanics). ANYWAY, my husband and I are BIG fans of Caren's. We first met her a few years back at S.D. And rediscovered her in her new venue last year. We've taken her Sea & Discover snorkel tour and think she is a great resource for the ever curious diver. We look forward to learning even more from her this year . . . and meeting the new addition to the family!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 4:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cristin,
Glad to have you in the "non-lurking" world with us!!! I passed on your good wishes to Caren...her and Frans are a little busy with baby Bonnie to read BT regularly right now!

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 10:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire, has posted another "did you Know?" lesson at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Her lesson this week is about bioluminescence. I've seen the ocean glow at night, but had no idea most of this light was produced by just one type of creature.

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know Snapping Shrimp stun their prey with a loud snap and high speed stream of water?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know Frogfish have a fishing pole and lure attached to their head?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about Frogfish at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 9:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you again, Scott and Sharon! I just love your site and share it with some young friends of mine. I have sent an email to join up for your notifications. Great work! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Sunday, September 8, 2002 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Carole,
Thanks for the encouragement! The Ocean Adventures Bonaire Ocean Camp will open late fall 2003! In the meantime I hope you continue to enjoy Caren's "Did You Know" series on the website.

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Sunday, September 8, 2002 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jellyfish. What are they made of?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about Jellyfish at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ostracods. Why do they glow in the dark? And what the heck is an Ostracod?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about Ostracods at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sponges. Are they plants or animals?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about Sponges at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bender on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 6:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We met Caren at Christmas 2000 when we enrolled our 9 year old daughter and her 8 year old friend in her classes. We signed them up for 3 days, and they wanted to go back every day! My wife even joined them on two snorkel trips! They really enjoyed her teaching and are anxious to see her again when we return this Christmas. Keep up the good work, Caren and congratulations on the new baby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SANDY WEISS on Friday, October 4, 2002 - 10:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4TH, 2002

HI ANYONE,

I WILL BE TRAVELLING TO BONAIRE FOR 1 DAY IN NOVEMBER AND I WOULD LIKE TO GO SNORKLING AT KLEIN BONAIRE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF EBO'S REEF AND EBO'S SPECIAL ARE NICE SPOTS TO SNORKLE AT FOR AN AVERAGE SNORKLER AND IF THESE TWO SITES ARE DEEP BECAUSE I PREFER TO STAY ON THE SURFACE OF THE WATER?? I ALSO REALLY HAVE AN INTEREST IN SEEING SEA HORSES...IS THAT POSSIBLE ALONG KLEIN BONAIRE AND IF SO, WHERE'S THE BEST SPOT TO SNORKLE FROM?? I'VE BEEN SNORKLING BEFORE IN THE CARIBBEAN, BUT I'VE NEVER SEEN A SEA HORSE AND THIS IS OF SPECIAL INTEREST AND CURIOSITY TO ME. I HOPE THAT SOMEONE IS OUT THERE TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU SOON. THANKS AND TAKE CARE.

SANDY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Saturday, October 5, 2002 - 12:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sandy,
Snorkeling Klien. If you are taking the water taxi to Klien, then most likely you will snorkel on the north side..unless you want a long walk to the south side. If you are dropped by the water taxi you can walk along the shore to the east and then have a very nice and long drift snorkel seeing lots of nice coral and fish.

If you take a dive center boat trip, then I'd suggest a site on the south side of Klien. I especially like Forrest in the shallows. Lots of activity and generally good visibility.

As for seahorses...best to ask someone at the dive shop. They will know where to find them....but might not be able to see one in the shallows....

However....my mom is a snorkeler and did a program with Caren at Sea and Discover. Caren took her to a location where she was able to see both a frogfish and seahorse in about 5 feet of water!

Good luck and enjoy Bonaire!

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tom and barbara wilson on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 10:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder if someone could help me with this Squid Behavior. These photos are from our recent trip (Sept '02). I observed a lone squid turn dark and quickly back out of a hole in the coral it would move a few feet away and then renter and repeat. I approached the hole and the squid flashed some shades and rapidly cut me off to enter the hole again.
Here are some photos of it. The first one is the squid in the coral hole and the second is the squid moving out. These two photos are at 35-40'off WINDSOCK.
http://www.pbase.com/ip35perspective/squid

The rest of the squid photos are in the shallows at Belmar.

Any thoughts,
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 10:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom,

That would most likely be Squid egg-laying behavior. I have video of that on-line from September as well at http://www.bonairediving.com/richter/20020907-KarpataReserve/

You need a high speed connection to see more than an impressionistic presentation though :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Snorkelguy {Scott} on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 8:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very nice Jake, I love to watch squid. I swear it seems like they are looking back at you and their eyes are following you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tom and barbara wilson on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 8:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes! Jake thanks that is exactly what this squid did. I love these creatures!
My camera has video capabilities but I did not think of it at the time. I was pretty happy capturing what I did.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 9:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Tom,

Jake is right on with his explanation. The dark colors you saw are interpreted as warnings to predators. Squid also use this coloration when mating and threatened by another male squid. They keep the side of their body that is toward the female a light color (presumably attractive), and the other side of their body dark to drive the other male away.

Scott, you are right about their eyesight. Squid have highly developed eyes that aid them in predation, shoaling, and mating.

If you want to learn more about squid and octupus get this book "Cephalopod Behaviour" ISNB NUMBER: 0 521 42083 0(he) by Roger Hanlon and John Messenger. It is a great review of all the significant research completed regarding Cephalopods. It covers all aspects of their life including birth, feeding, defense, predation, shoaling, schooling, and reproduction.

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Snorkelguy {Scott} on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 4:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the suggestion Scott, it sounds like an interesting read. I also find it interesting how if you swim towards squid they quickly swim away, but if you just stop and look at them, they appear to stop and look at you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Scott,
Yes...big scary people swimming toward the little squid make them think we are going to eat them...and some of us do...but not in the water!

Your observation is right on. Lots of fish react the same way...but to your point, if a person does not act like a predator, then many fish resume their normal behavior and many are curious like squid.

I think squid might be my favorite ocean creature...so many interesting behavioral characteristics.

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 11:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We found it fascinating that if we looked down and away from a school of squid (do they come in schools? flocks? herds?) that they would swim up close to us to investigate, but the minute we looked up at them, they would swim away. Dan took advantage of that behavior to get some good pics -- he would look down with the camera in position, let them come close to him, then quickly look up and get a shot off before they could swim away. One of those shots is now the background on my PC at work...

Faith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Snorkelguy {Scott} on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 11:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great tip Faith, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Faith,
Good question! Squid are considered to be in "shoals" when loosly grouped together, but in "schools" when they react in the same manner at the same time...same is true with fish.

Eye contact is really important in predation...that is why many species of fish have lines running through their eyes, or false eye spots in different locations on their bodies. Both appear to be mechanisms for confusing predators regarding the location of the eyes, thus the head.

Squid are certainly an exception as they have relatively huge and very well developed eyes which are not hidden. They depend on color change, ink dispersal (most species), and the ability to move quickly forward or backward for their defense.

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 11:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sea Cucumbers...why do they eat their own mucus?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about Sea Cucumbers at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jawfish...who cares for the eggs?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about Jawfish at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Sweeney on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 10:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Sandy from FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4TH, 2002, I can highly recommend the dive site Ebo's Special. I logged it as a sloping wall / very shallow reef dive on 28 AUG 97. My comments were "juvenile yelowtail damselfish! in spades." "Elkhorn coral in shallows. Fantastic!" I guessed the visibility to be 100 ft. with a smiley face. I noted a mild west to easterly current. I dove from the trimaran "New Toy."

On a tangential thread, some computer/internet types may profess indignance at your use of CAPITAL LETTERS. Don't worry about that. They think they mean well, although perhaps they used to be less tolerant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 7:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gender Change

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about Gender Change at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know there is a marine worm with metal teeth?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about bloodworms with metal teeth at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 2:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott.. I like that one..:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 5:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sarah,
Have you studied bloodworms yet? This was really new to me!
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 6:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott,
yes, we looked at Annelida last year...

I know you're interested in this stuff Scott, here's a few extra bits for you on this marine worm - Glycera dibranchiata.......

They're called bloodworms 'cos their skin is pale (you can see the red fluid)... they also habe gills (gas exchange)... also, after spawning, they die!....

Bye for now, and happy reading.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know most fish start their lives as tiny current-driven creatures?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about plankton at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Snorkelguy {Scott} on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 10:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Scott,

In case you hadn’t checked out my 12 part trip report, we had a great squid encounter…

Part 7 of Trip Report

I’m really enjoying Caren’s lessons, thanks for posting the links!

I hope you and Sharon are well.

Scott (the other one ;-))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 10:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Scott,
I did see that report...great shot of the squid! We need to change your name to SquidGuy! Given your interest in, and success with squid I think you would really like the book Cephalopod Behaviour...lots of good info on octopus also!

When are you back on Bonaire?

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Snorkelguy {Scott} on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 8:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the suggestion Scott; I’ll definitely check this book out.

I’m sure we’ll be back in Bonaire some time in 2003, although I’m not sure exactly when yet. One thing is for sure it won’t be soon enough!

We never found the time to meet up with Caren this past trip, we’re certainly going to the next time, I’ve heard so many good comments about her knowledge of marine life, I’m sure I could learn a lot.

Hope your preparations for you move are going well.

Have a happy New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know damselfish are farmers?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about damselfish at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By clint harsch on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

??I have gotten opposite input on wearing gloves on a reef. I never do because they make taking pictures harder and I don't touch anything anyway. I have seen articles and was tought that the the oil from ones hands will kill the coral and you should always wear light gloves. On the web cam messages today they are saying that you should not wear gloves. What gives??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 3:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Clint,

Wearing gloves makes people oblivious when they're touching and doing damage to the reef. When you touch it bare-handed, you notice -- anything from a possible scratch to down right ouch from fire coral. That tends to be something of a wake-up call to make you a bit more careful the next time you're a bit too close for comfort. :) The point is not to touch the reef, period.

If I remember correctly, Bonaire Marine Park rules say: gloves are not to be worn at all, with only 2 exceptions: when diving a wreck, or using a mooring line to descend or ascend. If you use them to descend a line, you are expected to remove the gloves immediately once you've reached depth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 3:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Clint,

It's a Bonaire National Marine Park rule - no gloves (except for: 1) diving on a wreck (two gloves okay); 2) ascending/descending a mooring line (one glove I think); 3) doing a clean-up dive (one glove I think); 4) medical reasons certified by a doctor (circulation problems); and 5) disabled, needing webbed gloves for propulsion.

An ordinary diver doing an ordinary dive is not allowed to wear gloves because it encourages (or doesn't discourage) grabbing onto whatever is nearby for stability and compensate for poor buoyancy and/or lack of coordination. I've seen gloved divers pull themselves across the reef here and elsewhere, so it's not fantasy (and yes, I did have a "discussion" with said divers here on Bonaire).

As far as bare hands vs. gloves for handling organisms, I've been taught that bare handed is the only way to do this (when the situation permits and allows such handling), because gloves will rub away the protective slime most sea creatures have, while hands won't - e.g. petting Charlie or whatever his name was (the large grouper at Bloody Bay Wall off Little Cayman). When the slime is removed it greatly increased the chance of allowing bacteria to get in where it shouldn't and hurt the creature. Perhaps Sarah or Caren can comment more...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't realize about the cleanup dive but it makes sense, as do medical reasons and disabled-diver reasons. Thanks for the correction, Jake!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By clint harsch on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 4:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, was just wondering. I have only used mine while cold lake diving, find them to restrictive, but I can see using them to pickup sharp garbage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 4:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake that is always what I've heard, but lately I've been hearing that fish that like to be touched are being harmed by the contact. I believe there was a whale shark (or manta in the Pacific somewhere) that was observed to have an infection where he liked to be touched. AFAIR.

Seems like all contact with fish, and coral should be avoided. Water borne mammels (seals, porpises and whales) should be OK, if it's they're idea.

I'm not saying I'm without sin, two notable ones, I can't help myself if I have a squirrel fish cornered I have to hear they're chirp. I about spit my regulator out every time. The other is my buddy bass in Lake Winni, I don't really touch him, he touches me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 7:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Caren is so much more qualified than I am, but here’s what I can tell you… and I'll keep it brief!

When divers and snorkelers come into contact with corals, the epithelium of the coral can be damaged, leaving the animal vulnerable to disease.

Mucus production is very important in marine organism defense (against disease). The mucus protects the epithelium. Cnidarians are known to produce immunoglobulin (antibody molecule). Should the mucus barrier be disrupted, toxic secretions can get deep into the coral tissue.

Caren, how did I do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi gang,
With baby and business and all...Caren doesn't get online too much...so I'll pass the questions and your excellent reply Sarah on to her via email...then post her reply here!

In the meantime...think about this. One of the purposes of the mucus barrier on eels is to protect them as they slither through rock and coral...much tougher than the human hand.

Also...did you know...when Green Moray Eels are removed from the water and don't have the mucus they are actually more of a purple color? I'll have to suggest that one to Caren for a new lesson!

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is there an algae living in the green moray's mucus giving the color, as with corals???

Gloves don't encourage touching (they are inanimate), they allow it. Divers touch or don't touch. And bottom objects can be touched-- you just have to pick bare places ar algae spots on the coral heads. Unfortunately, those are both easy to find these days in Bonaire waters. Careful divers with gloves do no harm.

The general ban on gloves while diving is the easy way of 'law enforcement'. I suspect there would be no more measurable damage if divers were educated about touching in the orientations and allowed to use gloves-- most would comply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott, I'll look forward to Caren's post..:)

Glenn, the Green Moray is in fact blue.. it's the protective yellow mucus covering that makes it look green......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, RGB 'additive color'! :–) TKS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Caren emailed me back with her input regarding handling marine life. Here it is..

"Under no circumstances should you touch coral since the polyps are very delicate and their skeletons very sharp and hard. Practically any pressure crushes the polyps against their rock skeleton. Corals in an ideal world recover from this type of damage. But we're not living in an ideal world and with all of the pressures that corals are dealing with these days (overfishing, pollution, and too many nutrients), simple damage often results in sickness and disease that kill the entire colony.

Fish are strictly off-limits in my view. They don't like being touched. Sometimes fish put up with being handled if they know they will be fed. I don't believe in feeding wildlife for many ecological reasons.

I often allow people to touch sea cucumbers, brittle stars, and conch since these critters are not damaged by careful handling. I always return the animal to the exact spot where I found it and watch to make sure it's OK.

I also explain this to the people I'm with.

I justify this type of handling because I believe it creates a link between people and sealife - a connection that people will remember and cherish. When people love something, they will be much more likely to protect it.

If you do handle creatures, bare-handed and without sunblock would be best.

I hope this has been helpful.
Caren Eckrich"

Another thought...if handling the marine creature is not beneficial to it, and if there is doubt regarding potential harm, then just look!

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If they don't touch each other when reproducing, why on earth would they want to be touched by YOU?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let's see, cats and dogs and horses (donkeys on Bonaire) and even people like to be scratched and that is not a necessary part of their reproduction. Sounds like a non sequiture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 1:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well Glen, cats and dogs and horses all are quite intimate with each other when having sex and generally interacting. They are not covered in mucus and touching each other as well as other animals is natural to them, as it is to (most) humans.
But fish have that mucus, and they don't seem to touch all that much from what I've seen unless it is hostile/defensive behavior. And even if they do like to touch each other that does not then include touching by a scuba diver.

Fish do have their own version of being scratched, being cleaned by a variety of juvenile and small creatures, and they are sure all over their hosts, no question about it.
Now I understand there are a lot of people wo fish and they feel different about touching fish, but the rules are a bit different for scuba diving,especially in a marine park. I get annoyed with people who are happy to kill corals,balloonfish, and anything else unlucky enough to come their way.
So don't ride the turtles, OK?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Caren..

Scott, I would also be very interested to hear back from Caren on the following short study I've been doing on the island:

I have been observing the Acropora species (Elkhorn and Staghorn coral) over the past few years; it would appear that a number of Acropora are exhibiting WBD. Unfortunately, the etiology of the disease is still not known (?). I also noticed areas of increased macroalgae biomass. I was able to get a close look at some of the corals for myself, in particular those that are exhibiting infection. Hugh and a Marine Biologist visiting the island (on holiday)kindly took close-up shots for me on their dives. I will be looking into this further at the University. Thank you Bevelyn!

But the good news is that Bonaire's reefs do remain some of the healthiest in the world, and that's something to be very proud of indeed.

I realize that Caren is very busy, perhaps you would be kind enough to give me her e-mail address?

Thanks
Sarah

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sarah,
Caren's Website is www.seandiscover.com

Her email is info@seandiscover.com

I know she will love to hear from you! Please keep me posted regarding your research...sounds facinating.

When are we going to get you underwater so you can take the photos?!!!

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 7:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Scott

In approx 4 weeks! Though I still prefer the freediving!

Thank you for Caren's details, much appreciated..

Sarah

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 4:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sarah,
Just heard from Caren...she is looking forward to hearing from you. Are you getting certified in cold water? Brrrrrrrr

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 5:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's great Scott, thank you.

Yes, I have to do it here, (should have been last October, but Uni commitments got in the way), so we're aiming for mid Feb. It'll be a lot of fun!

Sarah

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #202) on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know flounders are masters of change?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about flounders at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/flounder.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #208) on Sunday, February 9, 2003 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know build their own mucus tents?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about parrotfish at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/parrot_tent.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #209) on Sunday, February 9, 2003 - 6:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That should have been parrotfish build their own mucus tents!

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1997) on Sunday, February 9, 2003 - 7:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Scott & Sharon! I share your links with my young friends every time you post one. Thanks ever so much! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #210) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 12:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Carole, I'll pass your comments on to Caren...she really enjoys putting these mini-lessons together...and now they have also been picked up in the Bonaire Reporter!

I really like your profile picture...great colors...especially the Chibi Chibi.

Hope to see you on Bonaire someday!

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2003) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 4:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You really can't take a "bad" photo on Bonaire! My husband didn't think I should post "his" pic, but this is one of my favorites at the Divi. Just one of the many, many reasons we love it there so much...brilliant and vibrant colors...in addition to the waters and the people and all the wild critters....just some of the wonders of Bonaire. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #211) on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 7:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know Sargeant Majors turn blue when preparing a nest?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about sargean majors at http://www.ocean-adventures.org/sargent%20major.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1866) on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Scott

I still plan on contacting Caren. If you have contact with her soon, could you please let her know that I will be e-mailing her with some Q's very soon.. I'm gathering info for my research project,(organic pollutants in marine and freshwater fauna).. so, as you can imagine, I'm rather busy!..

Thanks Scott

Sarah

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #212) on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there Sarah! I'll let Caren know. Whay type of organic pollutants are you researching?

Any dive certification news?

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1867) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 5:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Scott

Nitrogen & Phosphorus!

Almost there! It's been incredibly cold here for a while, so we're waiting for the temp to increase a little!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #214) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know coneys hunt small fish in cooperation with eels?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has posted another "did you know" lesson about coneys at www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #226) on Friday, April 4, 2003 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know squid use color changes to communicate?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has edited another "did you know" lesson about squid at www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2239) on Friday, April 4, 2003 - 7:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks again, Scott and Sharon! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #232) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 5:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know coral has a "hot date" once per year?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has edited another "did you know" lesson about coral spawning at www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #233) on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 10:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know certain sponges attack and kill coral?

Caren Eckrich, a marine biologist on Bonaire has edited another "did you know" lesson about coral spawning at www.ocean-adventures.org/biologist.html

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2351) on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 1:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks again, Scott! Spectacular site and offerings for all! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Grawe (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Thursday, December 9, 2004 - 9:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I noticed no new messages have been posted here in over a year. I was just visiting the Ocean Adventures web site and think it would be a perfect place to take group from my school. I tried the e-mail on the web site and never received a response. If anyone has any information I'l love to get the low down.

thanks, Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Laura a.k.a. Snowfire (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #294) on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 12:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

*dusting off old thread*

Does anyone know if Caren ever planned to share any more "Did You Know?" articles? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2577) on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 9:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sure Caren planned to add articles; her second daughter may have interrupted the process though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Caren Eckrich - Sea & Discover (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Laura, I'ld love to - it's just finding the time...I just posted a thread in 'Dining' and hope to continue the 'did you know's in the near future. For instance, did you know that sea turtles have claws on their front flippers? Males have larger claws than females and use them to hook onto the female's carapace while mating. The female has to swim for both of them so that they can breathe at the surface every now and then (it takes a while...).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Laura a.k.a. Snowfire (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #318) on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Caren! Wow, so nice to "meet" you. I've really enjoyed your articles, and look forward to perhaps reading more. They're great!

And no, I didn't know that about sea turtles -- amazing.

Thanks!! :-) :-) :-)

(Message edited by snowfire on February 16, 2006)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2596) on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Caren, how delightful to see you posting around these parts again! So what do the girl turtles (turtellas?)use their claws for, stability when digging?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Caren Eckrich - Sea & Discover (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 4:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From what I've seen, the claws are not used in the nest digging process. They may aid in crawling along the beach. I'm really not sure. They may just be a remnant of when they were tortoises living on land - the claws of tortoises are used in digging for food. Good question. Can anybody add to this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1292) on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 3:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Caren, good to see you posting!
I saw a turtle wedge itself under a ledge munching on tunicates. It may have used its little claws to help steady itself as it munched along. We got quite close and it was much more interested in eating and barely acknowledged us.

Mare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lowe Johnston (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 9:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, couple questions...
- wondering about parrotfish sand.. read that it is calcium carbonate. however, sand is glass isnt it.. so i dont get it.
- how small a piece of starfish can regenerate into a whole starfish
- what is best place for snorkelers to see snapping shrimp/are they in shallow water.
thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (GH) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #128) on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lowe, welcome to Bonaire Talk! Try checking out this website. Click on the parrotfish. There is the fish behavior information, and all kinds of information about the fish common to bonaire.

http://bonaire.talks.free.fr/

Have a great trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Burgess, MD, PhD (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Sunday, August 2, 2009 - 2:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please don't pick up, touch, injure, scare, or otherwise disturb wildlife. It is unnecessary and not compassionate.
Wes

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration