BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Bananaquit
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations: Flamingos, Parrots, and other birds of Bonaire: Bananaquit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 11:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bananaquit

This is probably the most popular bird on the islands. With its yellow belly and black back and wings it looks as if dressed in a tailcoat. It got its Dutch name ("Sugar thief') because it has adjusted so remarkably to the human environment that it has become a well-known raider of sugar pots on breakfast and coffee-tables. It also likes to build its nest in lampshades and decorative trelliswork.

In a more natural environment it collects nectar from flowers, snapping up small insects as well. If they cannot reach the nectar in the normal way they will puncture the base of the flower to get at it. This robs the flower of its chance of pollination of course. Fruits are also pierced to get at the sweet juice. They breed the whole year round, building one nest after another. (from " Our Birds" by Dr. Bart A. De Boer)

chibi chibi bananaquit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 11:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Ellen! I wondered when we would hear from you again! As usual, you are in tip top form. We will look for the sugar thief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 2:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ellen, post the animated chibi chibi! I first encountered these little guys being fed sugar water at Jibe City...surprised they don't suffer from "beak decay" with all the sweet stuff they consume :- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 10:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok Dara, this was one of the first animations I experimented with so it's not that good. This is a chibi chibi (bananaquit) that likes to use my dog's water bowl to take a bath. This was taken last year during the time of the 2000 Olympic games. I think he is in perfect form!

chibi chibi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 10:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ellen --- that's marvellous!! You are SO talented with the computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 12:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thx, Ellen! Makes me giggle as I imagine your dog sitting by observing the spectacle, frowning with a rumpled brow :- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 3:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pretty good form yourself, Ms.Ellen. Is the bananaquit related to the banana daquiri? They appear to share a 'hiccup' gene. Not a bad spelling lesson, for those who don't know how many 'a's and 'n's in banana. B-A-N-A-N-A-Quit! See. LAMOJ...that's Laughing at My Own Joke, for you scholars. I made it up. Works for me........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 9:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Way to cute. I'll have to get my kids in to see that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 1:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

After the little fellows finished stealing sugar they would bathe in the water glasses at the old Sunset Beach Hotel..between that and feeding the mice breakfast was always a fun affair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By camerieresonia on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lovely pictures ELLEN thanks we wait others !!! SONIA

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration