BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Languages: Learning and investigating papiamentu
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Languages: Learning and investigating papiamentu
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By adrien bagarry (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, April 2, 2009 - 5:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"Bon dia"

I introduce myself: I´m a french student in Translation Studies from Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona, Spain.

I grew up in the French West Indies (French Guyana) and I always heard about Papiamentu.

I would love to learn the language and then write my Ph.D thesis relative to the culture-bound problematic rendering Papiamentu into european languages and vice versa.

So, could you tell me if I could have a scholarship in due to learn Papiamentu, and, if it does exist any grant that could help me during the research period?

As it concerns the main subject of application I don´t know if I will focuse it about Audiovisual Translation or Litterature, but in any case I hope it could help the diffusion of Papiamentu.

The subject interest would depend on the real life facts (does it exist channels in Papamientu, do you have editorial houses in the island, etc.).

"Pasa un bon dia"

Best regards,

Adrien BAGARRY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3631) on Friday, April 3, 2009 - 8:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You give us to much credit! Our language, based in Portuguese, is from the Cape Vere Islands of West Africa. We have a small amount of tomes written by local historians, etc. and a dictionary which just was released in its third edition and that is about it. You may want to consider doing a joint study as related to former and current Dutch possessions and their languages, ie. Bonaire, Aruba and Curacao for papiamentu, Saba, Statia, St. Marteen for their English patois and Surinam (you former neighbor) for taki taki. I am sure there is a lot of material but I doubt there is any money to support research.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lucas leblanc (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Monday, April 6, 2009 - 11:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Adrien,

You may want to contact Hélène Garrett at the University of Alberta, Canada (if she's still there). She received her PhD for her work in papiamentu funded by a grant from the dutch government. You can find more information in the book "Haiku in Papiamentu", by Elis Juliana and Hélène Garrett. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #278) on Sunday, May 3, 2009 - 5:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Adrien-
I see similarities between Catalan and Papiamentu, do you? Now that would be an interesting doctoral thesis! See if the Erasmus Project might help pay for your studies being that Bonaire is a Dutch protectorate. Keep us posted. I attended the University of Barcelona but had never heard of Pompeu Fabra until recently, and now I hear of it a lot. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3673) on Monday, May 4, 2009 - 3:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Papiamentu has a lot of Portuguese in it since it had a root in Cape Verde.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By adrien bagarry (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, May 4, 2009 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you for answering me. The references could help me a lot.
Linguists cannot say if Papiamentu has roots in Cape Verde but the only thing that is sure is that Papiamentu is the only language based on iberic languages (catalan, galician/portuguese, spanish) and not a koiné of those languages. And of course its construction with the Dutch descriollization that makes a real mixed language.
It´s nice to you to try to help me. I have already done an Erasmus so I can´t do another one, furthermore it´s reserved for ungraduated students...
Pompeu Fabra University is quite "new" it can be the reason why you haven´t heard about it when you attended classes at the UB...but this university tries to be innovator as much as possible and impulses contacts overseas that´s why I decided to be part of it.
If you are interested in language history I could send you a great powerpoint from a German Professor that did a conference trying to explain all the theories and giving an approach to the "TAM" Languages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #279) on Tuesday, May 5, 2009 - 8:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Adrien-
I'd love to see the PowerPoint! You can send it (please) to my school email: hicksonk@nps.k12.ma.us. I just got back from BCN one week ago today. So happy I was there for Dia de San Jordi. Love that city. When I was there in 79-80, everything was just changing over from Castellano to Catalan. I'd love to study catalan here, but it's hard to take a NON-on line class when you live on an island! Sigo buscando...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brianna sel (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 9:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

how do you say "i love bonaire" in papiamentu ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3978) on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 3:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mi stima boneiru

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brianna sel (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 3:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

is Mi stima boneiru the correct spelling and everything? are there any tone marks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #343) on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 6:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

mi ta stima boneiru

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3981) on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 10:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

sorry Pietri, but most Bonarieans leave out the ta..I checked before I made my commitment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3982) on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 10:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

further clarification if you will: In Curacao, the would say Mi ta..in Bonaire they leave it out. Either way, the sentiment is the same..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #344) on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 4:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i checked it out too .. so both are correct ..just depends...sometimes there is a variation between Playa and rincon ...it's all in the fun of learning the language .. i must be influenced by korsow/curacao ..

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration