BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Truck rental insurance
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Truck rental insurance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise K (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2951) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 10:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK .. I KNOW it has been discussed many times before. I just want up to date opinion/fact. I know my VISA cc does not cover insurance of rental of trucks (yes for rental cars, not on rental trucks). I can't see on American express if trucks are excluded or not. If it covers trucks then I will apply for a card, if not - no.

Do you know if AE covers trucks insurance? Or do you have other options to recommend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1246) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 11:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

you have to sign up for this, it is not automatic just by using the Amex card. I believe AB rental puts a $500 charge against the card until the truck is returned undamaged. Be aware that most rental agencies do not take Amex.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do?intlink=premiumprotecthub_browsepromos_pcrp%2304&gclid=CKSkrKaD5acCFRlPgwodBhi2-A&fp_keyword=%5BAMEX+Truck+Rental+Insurance%5D&fp_source=Google

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise K (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2952) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 12:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thank you Grunt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Cooke (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 5:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We used AMEX at ABCarrental in January. AB now charges a $25 "fee" to use AMEX. That was still much cheaper than buying full coverage. We always get the mid level coverage (can't think of what it is called) because it covers some things AMEX won't. As of January, trucks were still covered on AMEX.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 4:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Doesn't AMEX also charge an additional fee (~$20) for the basic coverage? Also, all this insurance is just for the vehicle you rent. Damage done during an accident to another persons vehicle is covered by the included (no extra charge) liability insurance the rental company caries. Also, the CDW (basic whether from AMEX or purchased at the rental company) only cover damage due to collisions. It does not cover ruptured tires, broken headlights or windshields or "acts of god". Nor does it cover damage due to theft. I am not sure about AMEX, but the CDW you purchase from the rental companies also carries with it a deductible (mine was $565.0). If you want the premium coverage (~$20.00/day)it covers some of the things the CDW doesn't, but no all. You'll need to read the policy if you think you need additional coverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2366) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 9:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AMEX covers trucks, and with no deductable. I have the free Blue Card, and I have to pay 19.95 per rental. It only covers CDW for the rental, no liability on the other guy. I have had to collect twice on the insurance with no problems. I call AMEX every year when I go to Bonaire just to make sure that the "Premium Car Rental Protection Plan" is in efect. The plan will cover you for 42 contiguous days for $19.95 The plan also has a $2500.00 personal property coverage with no deductable as well.

We have used it twice a year for 5 years and have saved a bunch on CDW... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #515) on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 12:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As others have stated, you have to proactively notify AMEX that you want to enroll in the special insurance plan for rental vehicles. The premium coverage for AMEX is $24.95 (for each unique rental period). I used my AMEX with Budget in January with no additional surcharges from Budget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #313) on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 3:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Telerin and Budget both accept AMEX.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carter farrell (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #158) on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 11:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please note that amex insurance varies according to your country. In europe they do not cover trucks, and there is no extra insurance they sell for trucks. On the other hand, my am ex covers all expenses relating to dive accidents (in water less than 130ft.) The coverage seems similar to Dans or any other separate dive insurance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ron DeMink (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #115) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 9:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

AMEX is the ONLY card covering trucks on Bonaire that I know of right now. And yes AB charges $25 to use it for their rentals. I use the $24.95 per rental type that you sign up with AMEX . It then kicks in WHENEVER you rent a vehicle with your AMEX card.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb DuBois (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 1:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How does this work when the rental is part of a package?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2372) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 7:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you pay for your package with Amex you are covered if you apply for the special coverage plan... Ron

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration