BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Rent a scooter or not? Is it safe?
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Rent a scooter or not? Is it safe?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Flavio Luis Garcia (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 7:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be snorkeling in Bonaire for 5 or 7 days (and looking forward to it !). As I do not dive and will be alone, I am considering to rent a scooter instead of a car to get around the island. My question is: is it safe to leave the scooter alone while snorkeling? I heard that theft can be a problem... or am I being too paranoid?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #759) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 6:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Flavio.

I used to work at a scooter hire shop on the island. If you didn't already know, you need to have a motorcycle licence to ride a scooter on Bonaire. In many parts of the world, including the Netherlands, it is permissible to ride one on a car licence but this is not the case on Bonaire. Although this is not always enforced by the rental companies, if the Police have a purge & stop you, they will confiscate the scooter.

As far as theft is concerned, yes it does happen. Some scooters are more attractive to renters than others so I would suggest that you rent a 4 stroke scooter. They are not as desirable to those who steal them as the engines are not as versatile as a 2 stroke. In addition, 4 stroke engines are quieter, more reliable, better on fuel & more environmentally friendly.

You will be given a strong chain & lock with your scooter you should always use it by securing it around the rear wheel & an immovable object such as a steel post. If it isn't chained to a post, thieves can simply lift the machine & carry it away. Most of the scooters that were stolen from us were never chained.

Theft of any kind in any country is possible but if you are careful, you should be OK. Check with your credit card provider to see if you are fully insured against such things for extra piece of mind.

A scooter is a great way to see the island..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Flavio Luis Garcia (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 5:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fantastic info, Antony. Thank you so much.
I'm feeling more confident to rent a scooter now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #408) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 1:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Flavio, Antony has given you very sound advice. We just returned from the Island and I noted many scooter rentals. I believe the cost of gas has driven some to this method of transportation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #281) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 1:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Keep in mind that you will not save much if you end up in the hospital. The roads in Bonaire are pitiful at best........ and the drivers are not much better. You have very narrow roads with enormous potholes, tourists driving pickups with mirrors poking out further than they are used to and much less visibility with a higher number of blind spots.........plus large areas of water. That's not even mentioning fatigued drivers due to multiple dives and the heat.

It is an acciedent waiting to happen on a scooter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #905) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 11:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm with you on this one Fid, and I think Antony is too. Unless you ride 2 wheels a lot there is a pretty good chance of having an accident. I didn't find this out by doing everything right, and I did ride motorcycles for quite a while.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #761) on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 6:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Some fair points made & as pointed out, if you don't know what you are doing, you can get hurt. I lost count of the amount of people that I had to pick up out of the gutter.

Luckily, nobody was seriously hurt but many got hurt in the pocket for repairs.

Look at it this way. If you have little or no experience of riding a scooter, why would you choose to try it out thousands of miles from home, with no helmet while wearing shorts & a tank-top on roads full of potholes in a country with an already stretched health service.

There were a number of occasions that I would not let people rent because it was obvious that they had no clue. I figured that I would rather have them shout at me & walk away than have to scrape them off the road later.

That said, if you know what you are doing, it is a great experience & the sense of freedom is unbeatable.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration