BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Arrival Procedure and Total Rental Car
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2010: Arrival Procedure and Total Rental Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Matheson (BonaireTalker - Post #56) on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 8:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi. We we are headed to Bonaire in December. The last two times we stayed at Sand Dollar and rented from Budget. This time we have decided to stay at Eden Beach and dive with WannaDive based on so many good recommendations. They use Total Car rental as part of the package so I guess we are going to give that a try in spite of less than stellar views on Total here. Hoping for the best. Can someone help me with info on the process of picking up the car since apparently they are off the airport? Is it within walking distance? Should we get our luggage and make the hike or leave someone with the luggage while I try and negotiate the rental contract? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #330) on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 10:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

John, I have rented from Total 3x within the last 2 years. They are at the airport,once you exit the building on your left, in the building with all the other rental companies. Walking with your luggage across the parking lot is no big deal, your get in line, do the paperwork and they will drive the car right in front of you, you get a token for the exit and you are off to a wonderful vacation! Now, the process could be faster, it is all done by hand, since we book online only we could expect forms prepared and ready to go, that is not the case. I don't care, I am starting a vacation on a Caribbean Island, I know things go at a different pace here. So take a deep breath and be patient! For the return you drop everybody and the luggage off first at the curb, then return the car, allow time for that..... We never had return issues, service or mechanical problems. Left the car unlocked everywhere we went, didn't keep the tank too full, yes, the gas thieves are still very active on the island. The motorcycle battery we had worked well, it was in response to battery thefts ,yes, also still happens all the time. Knowing some of these Bonairian issues definitely helps! Minor details!!! Enjoy your vacation!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #29907) on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 10:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very well put Chris:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Matheson (BonaireTalker - Post #57) on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 2:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ha ha. Thanks for the update Chris. Sounds like pretty much the same drill as when we were there four years ago then. I had heard that they had moved off site along with some others so was confused. I can make out with half tanks of gas, misplaced batteries, pods of cruisers in the afternoon, paperwork done by hand, etc provided Brights and blue water are still available so I think we should be great. Two weeks till the three day trek it takes us to get there starts. Looking forward to standing in that line now!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration