BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Limited Slip Differentials
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: Limited Slip Differentials
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Gates (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #197) on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 11:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Do any of the agencies rent trucks with limited slip differentials?

How about the jeeps.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #312) on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 4:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is this a line from "My Cousin Vinnie"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2561) on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 4:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kate.."My Cousin Vinnie" was the posi rear traction in one of the cars. Not to be confused with the Sac O Suds foodstop. :-)

William.. If you want a viscous LSD, rent a Subaru!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Naylor (BonaireTalker - Post #78) on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 4:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does it really matter. As long as my truck gets me around, that is all I care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Gates (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #198) on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 5:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Trevor: It probably won't matter. However, being 70 and traveling alone, I prefer to better my odds if its not too costly. I'm planning a couple of trips to the park [Wakaya, Boca, etc] as well as the short-cut back to town from Karpata. Just trying to minimize chances of getting stuck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #805) on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill
Just stay out of the Salinas and you're home free. I HAVE seen a few people stuck in Salinas, over the years. Speaking of years, it looks like for the first time since 1980 I won't get to Bonaire this year.
Maybe next year
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #893) on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 7:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've done the park and the Karpata shortcut in an AB Toyota pickup with no problem, though he road in the park made me wish for an F250.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6192) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 11:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

omg Kate, I thought the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #314) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 12:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince... you are too quick! I knew it wasn't the line from the movie, but like Kelly, it was the first thing I thought of! Sorry William, I know it was a serious question...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1173) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, according to the movie, positraction is a limited slip differential (William, if there's a chance you'll get stuck in the park, they usually won't let you in not matter what vehicle you have--for example, if it's been raining a lot. January can be very rainy--but who knows how 2010 will be; this year there's very little rain so far compared to last year):

Mona Lisa Vito: The car that made these two, equal-length tire marks had positraction. You can't make these marks without positraction, which was not available on the '64 Buick Skylark!
Vinny Gambini: And why not? What is positraction?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power equally to both the right and left tires. The '64 Skylark had a regular differential, which, anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothing.
[the jury members nod, with murmurs of "yes," "that's right," etc]
Vinny Gambini: Is that it?
Mona Lisa Vito: No, there's more! You see where the left tire mark goes up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the '64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But that didn't happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the '60's, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.
Vinny Gambini: And because both cars were made by GM, were both cars available in metallic mint green paint?
Mona Lisa Vito: They were!
Vinny Gambini: Thank you, Ms. Vito. No more questions. Thank you very much.
[kissing her hands]
Vinny Gambini: You've been a lovely, lovely witness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2565) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 2:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW Ruth..I'm impressed! And you are correct.
Now lets have some KFC with a cold beer & watch a rerun! :-)
What a great picture that was. The acting & script was superb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1174) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I love that scene-she won the Oscar for this.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Gates (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #201) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 2:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I liked that movie!

Since way back when my wife and I lived in snow country; we are very familiar with the problem of one rear wheel spinning and the outer having no torque.

In fact my wife got cut off and ended up in a a snow bank toward the end of her driving test - you guessed it, one wheel spinning. She couldn't rock it out; neither could the inspector. He walked back to his car, drove off, and two-weeks later Carol received her license in the mail. Was she ever surprised?

If I remember right Detroit started offering limited-slip differentials a few years later 1961?

Being reasonably experienced in driving in Ice and Snow, I should be alright with what everybody else uses - a 2 wheel drive truck or jeep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #947) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 6:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

L..M..D..A..O...

ok,William, I think you need to see if you can rent a 1963 Pontiac Tempest for the park...

omg, i think i snorted. I loved that movie..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3125) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tink,

I believe 'a 1963 Pontiac Tempest' is a bit of a Low Rider for the Park! :–)

One of my favorite movies also!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Gates (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #202) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 8:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tink

Go to 12.278560 -68.405540 on Google Earth.

Click on the little blue square [Leben].

That is probably as close as we will come to finding a 1963 Pontiac Tempest in the park. That car very likely has a non-slip differential -- probably one that doesn't rotate at all.

Rental rate might be right, if I could find the owner. However, the ground clearance looks to be a bit low.
[snort, snort]

Yes, a favorite movie of mine as well!

Probably time to close this thread.

lol Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Gates (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #203) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 9:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One final one for the Road ...
http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/pont6306.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4032) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 9:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ya just never know what thread is gonna take off around here.

Snort, snort, snort, snort, snort.....

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration