BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Using AMEX for Truck Rental
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: Using AMEX for Truck Rental
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #841) on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 2:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know this subject has been discussed previously but I wanted to make this post to clear up any questions. I've always used my AMEX to rent a truck in Bonaire because AMEX will cover the insurance cost. I've heard some grumblings that AMEX no longer covers PU trucks in Bonaire so I just called AMEX and asked the question. The customer service rep advised me that AMEX insurance does NOT PU trucks if you have the regular AMEX card. However, they do cover PU trucks if you have a premium card. I have the AMEX gold so I am covered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #535) on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 4:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just Googled on "American Express Premium Car Rental" and got directed to AMEX's website, https://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/dom/us/en/feefreeservices/pages/carrentallossdamageinsurance_allccsg_shareddetails.do?vgnextoid=063a9501c3a0e010VgnVCM20000012b3ad94RCRD&vgnextchannel=3c830da9846dd010VgnVCM10000084b3ad94RCRD&name=carrentallossdamageinsurance_allccsg_shareddetails&type=intbenefitdetail. From there, I clicked on the "upgrade to Premium insurance option and got to https://www152.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do?source=CCSG#03. I then clicked on the Coverage option.

According to this AMEX site, you ARE covered for pickups if they are part of the company's regular rental fleet AND you have the Premium Car Rental Insurance. There is also a regular car rental insurance program that I did not look at, but the key appears to be the Premium Car Rental Insurance, not a premium AMEX card, for covering pickups.

There is frequent confusion over this program and oftentimes customer service agents do not have the correct information.

Thanks Gregg for posting what you did and forcing me to verify the premium coverage I have with my regular AMEX card.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2052) on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 7:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have the blue card, and have the special Premium Car Rental Insurance connected to that card. I just talked to the company, and I am covered for our October trip... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1161) on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 9:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Me too. I've got the Blue Card and have used the Premium Car Rental Insurance connected to the card to get reimbursed for some truck damage I had to pay on Bonaire. Worked like a charm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #860) on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 11:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Mr Gould (Semper Fi), having the same Blue Card. Mine is through Costco but works exactly the same way. I have it that if I use the Amex card for a vehicle rental the Premium insurance is automatic. I only use it (Amex) in Bonaire so all is good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob fraser (BonaireTalker - Post #87) on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 9:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

okay me too I have the blue card and it worked this past August liked it always has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carter farrell (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #145) on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 10:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It all depends which country issued your card. I believe non of the European issued cards include pick ups

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mosel (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 7:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was going to ask the same question. With the premium plan pick ups are included in Bonaire.

My question is with AB Rental. In their insurance clause it states "the renter is fully responsible for the rental income that is lost as a result of AB Car Rental not being able to rent out the rental vehicle due to damage and/or damage repair.

that is what worries me about AMEX. Will they pick up that cost?

Anyone ever have that situation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2448) on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 6:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill..I suspect the answer to your question is a strong "NO" from AMEX's point of view. I've never seen this coverage offered by AMEX. AB's potential claim against a renter is based upon what we call in the U.S. business interruption insurance.

In other words consequential damages incurred as a result of the time factor in getting their vehicle repaired. IMHO, AB should protect themselves from this risk by purchasing business interruption insurance & not passing this onto the renter. Let them verify to their carrier the alleged loss.

The reason being is that the renter has no way of independently verifying the alleged charges which could be pursued against them; i.e., how does the renter know that in fact they have sustained an economic loss? Was this vehicle already promised to someone else? If it were damaged, wasn't their another spare vehicle which could have been utilized to save the rental? Why was their a delay in repairing the vehicle? How much was the alleged bus. interruption loss and how would you really independently verify it?

See what I mean? You'd be "between a rock & a hard place" in trying to defend yourself on this, especially bearing in mind a business in a foreign country.

So, from my risk management perspective, personally I'd eschew a contract with this language.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. West (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 9:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I switched from AB car rental to the local Hertz franchisee on Bonaire so that I had no worries about the AMEX optional premium car rental insurance coverage. The Bonaire Hertz franchisee has many Chevrolet S10 manual transmissin crew cab pickup trucks available, and they also list a regular cab Isuzu D-max diesel pickup truck available. I've only rented S10's from the Bonaire Hertz franchisee and we've had zero problems.

http://www.interislandcarrental.com/rates0910.html

The truck rental rates are slightly less expensive from the Bonaire Hertz franchisee than the local Hertz franchisee on Curacao, but the Curacao hertz franchisee has switched to newer model Chevrolet Colorado crew cab pickup trucks with automatic transmission.

http://www.curacaocarrental.com/rates.html

In either case, the weekly rate from either the Bonaire Hertz franchisee and the Curacao Hertz franchisee include 'one free day' if you check the math. You also might find an applicable coupon at Hertz.com, or get an additional discount at Hertz.com using AAA, Delta, Continental, etc. CDP's if you're a member of such auto or frequent flyer plans. Just make sure you bring 3 or 4 color printed hard copies of any such coupon with you no matter which island you travel to, as well as the 'guaranteed rate' hard copie(s) of your reservation details.

(Message edited by rj_west on September 27, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mosel (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 10:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I contacted AB about the clause that states you are responsible for days the car is not in service do to any damage as they stated that:
When a client has no CDW or F.I. the following is possible:

For a damage amount of USD 250 or less, we charge only 1 rental day.

For a damage amount between USD 250 and USD 500, we charge a maximum of 2 rental days.

For every USD 500 damage amount more than USD 500, we charge the client 2 rental days extra.

The maximum we will charge , f.e. when the rental car is a total loss, is 30 rental days.

With this clause they are almost forcing you to take their insurance or take you chances.

I wrote them back and told them that this is not acceptable and they have not responded.

Hertz is looking good, thanks Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Krispi **** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7441) on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 10:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

my AMEX makes the statement that loss of use will be covered ONLY if the rental agency can prove that they had all their cars rented and no replacement for the damaged rental car.
I would guess on BON, the Rental places do rent all their cars most of the time though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2451) on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 5:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill...They should not charge anything unless they can prove to you their business interruption loss (the same way they'd have to with their insurance carrier).

And, I might add, because someone told you this verbally or in an e mail, doesn't necessarily make it legally binding. This language must be in the signed contract. Is it? Basically this is just another angle that they can "ding you". And that's the way I see it.

If they want to protect themselves, let them purchase a business interruption policy instead of trying to strong arm the renter who has an extremely limited ability (if any) at defending themselves with respect to this issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #863) on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 11:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does AB figure the cost per day of lost rental income to include the insurance you did not buy?
If so,that adds quite a bit more to the tab.
I have to agree with Vince on the business interruption policy.
If they buy such and add it to the cost of a rental, that is OK. I can see that cost up front.
Do not hide potential and not defined future costs in the boilerplate of the rental contract.
I have used AB for the last eight years, always using AMEX. This is making me rethink that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #173) on Monday, October 5, 2009 - 12:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

They must be salivating over the new roundabouts. Just imagine the profit they are going to make from all those inevitable fender-benders.

Greed always comes back to bite the greedy in the end. I just rented a car in Mexico and it had so many dents and scratches that there was no way I could possibly get charged for any I put on it. I just wonder how many people they have charged over they years for damage that they didn't bother to fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel J. Zielinski (BonaireTalker - Post #78) on Monday, October 5, 2009 - 12:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any new evidence that AMEX covers liability? I paid CDW last time I was in Bonaire just to get the liability coverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By reid nelson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 6:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i contacted amex regarding my "premium car rental coverage" that goes into effect automatically when using the card to rent a car/pickup.

as far as "loss of use" following dammage to a car i might rent, i was told that amex would cover it provided the rental agency would provide a "fleet utilization log" to them. they said that they can only ask - there have been cases where companies refused to provide this in which case the renter is up the creek... seems like i better ask about AB's (or anybody else's) policy for providing this log upon request if i'm going to use amex.

something else i have seen discussed on this board is whether to lock the car or not when leaving it unattended. amex didn't care whether i lock the car or not as long as i keep the keys with me at all times - if i don't turn the keys in after a car is stolen they would assume i left them in the car and i would again be up the creek.... i think i'd want to double check that statement though since i've heard it both ways, even from amex. my feeling is that it's safer to lock the car but then deal with the hassle of fixing the broken window when the bad guys steal your stuff (i don't leave much visible to interest others)....

lastly, amex told me that they do not cover liability - if i hurt someone else i better have auto insurance to cover it. probably obvious to most people, but i just wanted to add it in....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2478) on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 6:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

[my feeling is that it's safer to lock the car but then deal with the hassle of fixing the broken window when the bad guys steal your stuff (i don't leave much visible to interest others)]

Thanks Reid for your thoughts on this but I really don't think that's a wise conclusion. You might want to rethink it. And as far as procuring a fleet utilization log from the rental company in order to defeat their "loss of use" claim; I'll just tip my hat to you & say "good luck".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1171) on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 8:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It doesn't matter if you leave much visible to others or not. If you roll up the windows and lock the truck, they assume you are hiding something and, odds are, your going to get your windows broken. People telling you this stuff have been to Bonaire many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2071) on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 1:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you park your truck at a site with the windows rolled up, and the doors locked the perps WILL bust one of the windows to gain acsess! You will be responcable for the repair, or atlest the deductable. With AMEX there is no deducable, and they cover personal loss such as a regulator, or camera, or other pesonal items($2500.) left in the truck. Get a police report, and take care of the problem when you get home. Repairs to your truck will be charged to your AMEX card, but you will be advised to contest that amount. The lease company then makes out a report to AMEX and gets paid for there damage. Have used this program 2 times with no problems... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #883) on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 6:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know if Caribe Rental has the same "loss of use" policy as AB Rental?
I see they also accept AMEX.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration