BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: What type of vehicle do we need?
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: What type of vehicle do we need?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Whiting (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 11:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are doing a week long visit in October where we plan on snorkeling and seeing a bit of the island. The only gear we will have is our suitcases on arrival and departure and then our snorkeling stuff during the week.

We plan on spending on day in the Park so I was wondering what type of vehicle is going to work the best for us? Do you need a truck to go into the park? Once I get this figured out I can go ahead and book a rental.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #852) on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 11:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would recommend a "cheap" pickup truck. It will come with a standard shift, so make sure you know how to operate that. That type of truck will get you anywhere you want to go on island if you use common sense. You do not need 4 wheel drive for the park, but being able to drive a rutted dirt road is a real plus. The park is a trip not to be missed. Enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken's" Barbie"~Ruth~*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1995) on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 12:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You must have a pick-up truck in order to do the park. And I agree, the park needs to be done. Since you are snorkeling, make sure to stop at Wayaka II in the park. It is our favorite snorkel spot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald van Tol (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 9:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last year a couple in the room next to me rented a small car with AB. They were able to swap it for a pickup(for one day) when visiting the park. I don't think there was any extra charge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Whiting (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 10:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ronald that is a great idea and I will look into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Milestone (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 10:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jamie , Try Voyager Car Rental they are cheap good cars pick ups for the park.

www.voyagereventscarrental.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Johnson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #532) on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 12:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Harry:

May I ask if you have any affiliation with Voyager beyond being a customer? We all have our favorites but over 50% of your posting have been an endorsement for Voyager.

(Note: I have never used Voyager and can't comment either way. I used to use Netty but she went to Holland. Then AB. This year I am trying Telerin. I have been happy with all.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Milestone (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 1:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No, i don't have any affiliation with voyager
i'am just a customer. butt my experience are very good about this company. thanks Harry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3675) on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 1:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I miss those little toasters on wheels....remember them? Were they Suzukis? I didn't know about the sites past BOPEC then, and I'm not sure they would make it there, or over the "short cut", but they sure were fun to putt around in...

NOTE: I have no professional affiliation with the toasters-on-wheels, nor anyone who rents, sells, or manufactures them. I may have tried to pick one of them up in a bar once, but that was just coincidence....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #783) on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Over the years I have gone to the park in everything from VW bugs to Pickups including Toasters, but a few years ago when I showed up in a Toaster they wound not let us in. No amount of talking would convince them. Best check before going.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3678) on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 2:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, the Toaster would be, uh, toast in the Park. I was just reminiscing.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Whiting (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 2:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

After the 'suspect' Voyager boosting in a couple of other threads I think I will stay away from them. Numerous other good choices to go with. But thanks for all the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3818) on Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 8:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The toasters had a tendency to flip over..Load of tanks would raise the center of gravity and drivers would loose control.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #616) on Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 8:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I knew a young woman and her boyfriend who flipped their Suzuki toaster. It landed on her head and she literally lifted off her head...truth from her own lips.

She recovered from her injuries, but she also ruined her career. She came to Bonaire as a last vacation before reporting to NASA to be an astronaut after grueling testing and training.

A tragedy to say the least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #617) on Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 8:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I used the toaster for 7 years and personally didn't have a problem, however I read about potential dangers in Consumer Reports before I bought ours.

The primary danger to flipping was not the payload, but braking too hard when the front wheels were turned. If my memory serves me correctly (from '92) this could occur at as little as 15 mph.

I would think if tanks shifted, possibly from a hard turn, maybe the brakes were applied too hard thus causing a flip.

It was at one time the vehicle to use, with a top of course, in the 90s. That's why we bought one. Sounds like the park made a very wise decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2406) on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 5:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jamie..I think the operative question is how many people in your party? If it's only 2, I'd recommend the Suzuki Jimny. It's also 4 WD which many trucks on the island are not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2358) on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 9:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

barbara, the original toasters were daewoo's. they were replaced by suzuki's a few years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #785) on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 11:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

These little vans where designed originally to fit a category of small vehicles in Japan called Kei. They where made to avoid taxes etc.
after WW II. Over the the years they have been made by many different Japanese companies sometimes with exactly the same body. I remember Honda, Mitsubishi and Suzuki at the same time.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3701) on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 11:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, Dae Woo, yeah, that figures!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration