BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Car rental
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: Car rental
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cindy Reeves (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Friday, April 17, 2009 - 2:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I made reservations for a car thru tropical holland car rental for the month of May. Now I can not get ahold of them. There phone number will not connect and they dont answer their email. Are they out of business. I probably will have to find another car now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annie Fox (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 9:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cindy,

Tropical car rental is out of business,
You can try it by
www.voyagereventscarrental.com
ask for Mr . john

They are the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 2:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Text removed by moderator. Reason: self promotion

(Message edited by modtom on April 19, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bette ( Perpetually from you know where) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1740) on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 12:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cindy,

I'm sorry to hear about you troubles but you're not without options.

Annie from Voyager Events Car rental is right, they could be an option but there are more.
Like:
Hertz
Total
Island
Caribe
Bencho
AB
Telerin
Etc.
You might to give them all a try to find out who has the best car/price for you.
Good luck and I wish you a fabulous on our Beautiful island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helene Dudley (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 8:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

CAUTION - In April of 2009 I rented a car from VOYAGER EVENTS CAR RENTALS & TOURS and was concerned when the man told me the $565 US refundable deposit would stay on my credit card for about a month. It is over a month, the charge is still on my bill and I am now fighting with my credit card company to have the charge removed. An email to VOYAGER has not been returned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs - is on Bonaire!!! (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8567) on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Helene...contact your credit card company and refuse to pay the charge. Explain to them what is going on and force the credit card company to deal with Voyager.

I find this very odd as the deposit should have just been used toward your bill. That is a very high amount for a deposit. Was it a deposit or was it the hold for insurance purposes? If it was the insurance, they should have never actually charged the card, just put a hold on the money. Can you provide us any more information?

Whatever you do, contact the credit card company immediately to preserve your rights under the law.

(Message edited by jeanineclark on May 28, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Freddie* (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11970) on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 11:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If I may ask.. was the car damaged at all when returned to the agency??? {of course excluding the already damage you signed for when you first rented it}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helene Dudley (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 12:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No, there was no damage to the vehicle and it was returned on time and I was told that the charge would be removed from my account but that it might take a month. This concerned me at the time but there was nothing I could do since I was told this was how it was handled in Bonaire. Once I alerted Voyager this morning to the message I had posted, I heard from John immediately and he says he is working to remove the charge. He indicated this has happened several times before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bette ( Perpetually from you know where) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1752) on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 12:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles Helene and I do hope they are solved by now.

Looking at the high amount of the deposit you paid, I suspect this is about the security deposit.

It happens indeed more often with 1 or 2 credit card companies. The pre-authorizations appear on your statement as charges but as long as the "charger" can prove, by copy of swipe machine slip (by lack of a better name) that it is actually a Pre-Authorization, your credit card company should remove this from your account.

What should be of the utmost importance here, is the service. Action should be taking immediately by the "charger" and he has to do everything within his power to release the hold as soon as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3699) on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is no way any reputable car rental agency on Bonaire charges you and then issues credit. What is done is a pre-authorized amount is posted to your card and if the rental agency does nothing it automatically disappears after 10 days in most cases. If you were told anything different, it is either that the agent did not know how to post a pre-athorized amount or was doing something shady. I would venture to say that MCB or RBTT is the bank that handles the clients account and if you don't get it resolved by Monday, e mail me info@chatnbrowse.com and I will supply you with the contact person on Bonaire you should talk to. What it amounts to is that the merchant has had a very low cost loan for a few months from the credit card company!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wolfgang Armbruster (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 12:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just returned from BON after having rented from Voyager for a week and can't tell you how pleased I was with their service.

Not only did they promptly deliver the car to our hotel, but they were as friendly and as fair as any car rental agency we had ever used.

I have no ulterior motive to endorse Voyager and am posting this only to express my pleasure in this most positive rental experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helene Dudley (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 7:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

After many emails and promises from Voyager Events and CAr Rental that the $565 'authorization' fee would be (and even had BEEN) removed from my credit card, I am still waiting for that credit to appear on my statement. It has been 2 months since the 4-26-09 rental and I am extremely dissatisfied with the service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Folds (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #133) on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Are you the lady that put diesel in the gas tank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jolly (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1449) on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 6:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Probably not a good stab at humor Ron. Although I did that once in the UK !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jolly (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1451) on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 6:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Probably not a good stab at humor Ron. Although I did that once in the UK !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jolly (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1452) on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 6:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops - double post? Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helene Dudley (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, July 2, 2009 - 5:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The $565 'authorization' for Voyager Events and Rental Car from April 26th has finally been removed from my credit card. I am happy the matter has been resolved, but not happy with the amount of time and negative energy this entailed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helene Dudley (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, it seems that the $565 deposit 'authorization' fee has not been removed from my credit card after all. After 3 months, I am still battling to have this charge removed. Voyager has admitted the charge was invalid, but their bank has not sent through a correction to remove it from my credit card. That charge never should have been placed on my credit card to begin with. I am totally frustrated with Voyager, with the bank and with the tourist bureau that has done nothing to resolve this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By maggie dobbins (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 6:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maggie PLEASE STAY ON ONE THREAD!!! you have questions to answer on the last one

(Message edited by modfreddie on August 31, 2009)

(Message edited by modfreddie on August 31, 2009)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration