BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Best currency to bring: CC, Travelers checks, or US$
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: Best currency to bring: CC, Travelers checks, or US$
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Strange (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 2:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello All,

I have searched and searched but cannot find a thread on the best type of currency to bring to Bonaire.

Here is a quick rundown of my stay. There will be two of us and we will be there for 8 nights. My hotel and car rental are already paid for. We will be eating most breakfasts and lunches at home, but dining out. We will be taking a trip to the park and doing the "regular activities".

What is the best type of currency to bring to Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Natalie S (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #201) on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I bring some US dollars, and also use my ATM card to top up on US dollars from M&C bank machine downtown. I tried traveller's checks once, but that was more of a PITA. I have some local currency left over from my last trip and I'll use that too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt, back May 2nd (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #755) on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The ATM will give you local currency if you wish, making it easier to pay without currency conversion. I have to agree travellers checks area PITA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #446) on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nathan-- Don't forget to notify you bank if you plan on using any kind of credit card
With all the Identity fraud a memo in your account might save you some angst

On my first visit I had this happen, and you can't blame them for trying to watch out for you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane and Bea (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #261) on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 4:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just take us dollars . Also we take a credit card with in case we don't want to spend the us dollars. Dollars are excepted everywhere

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #207) on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 8:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Unless you don't mind the ATM fees and credit card "exchange fees", bring Travelers checks. We cash 2-3 hundred at a time for local currency. You get the best exchange rate at the bank and, if you time your bank visits, it only takes 10-15 minutes.

(Message edited by sparty on February 27, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom... yes, I is -) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9293) on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 8:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have never been charged a fee when using ATM next door to Michael's Chat n Browse or downtown across from where Julio's Snack is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lori Mulhisen (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 8:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

During three trips, we used U.S. Dollars without a problem. During our fourth most recent trip, we went to M&C Bank downtown and exchanged our U.S. Dollars for Guilders (bring your driver's license and/or passport to the bank for identification). I think this worked a lot better for us because we did not have the hassle of figuring out if we got the right change after paying in U.S. Dollars and getting Guilders for change. Whatever floats your boat--U.S. Dollars are accepted everywhere but you will almost always receive Guilders as change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveWarm (BonaireTalker - Post #61) on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We take US dollars as well, with a CC backup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #833) on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We took a lot of travelers checks in $50 currency and never had a problem because we carry our drivers license for proof of who we are when using them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Ingram (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Tom's comment on the ATM fees.
We have only used the one close to Chart n Browse and have never been charged a transaction fee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always take US dollars with a CC for back up. Then when we get change in Guilders we use that and donate whatever is left over to one of the donations boxes at the airport. I also agree, let your CC company know you will be travelling. Ours was denied once and we had to call to find out why. It was because they noticed "unusual" activity. Nice of them to do so, but embarrassing when we got denied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michelle K.Melillo (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 1:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Bt'ers.. I've always brought USD and my debit/credit card. I've been to Bon' approx. 7 times and have had no issues at all. It's a very easy way to pay!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration