BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Car rental before we arrive?
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: Car rental before we arrive?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marlene A. Koons (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all who post here. I am wondering if there is any savings in reserving a car ahead of time or just wait til we arrive on the island.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1843) on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Depends on what time of the year you want the car/truck. A lot of people rent transpertation on Bonaire.

Marcolva Maria Henriquez (Poppy)
Telerin Car Rental
P.O.Box 347
Cell: 599-9-5163001 (24 Hrs)
Tel: 599-717-4108 ( office)
e-mail: marcolva@hotmail.com

Check out this lady! She will meet you at the airport with your rental! No waiting in line, and no walking to the other rental offices... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marlene A. Koons (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I read a lot of posts and have sent off emails. Poppy's was the most expensive, unfortunately. We will be there mid-May.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz .... back to Bon 3/29-4/4. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #229) on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The only concern I would have about waiting would be that demand might exceed supply and there would be nothing available. Maybe that's not an issue in Bonaire. We've always reserved ahead of time. I tend to overplan though and hate leaving stuff up in the air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jolly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #666) on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 6:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would say reserve a car/truck in advance. Better safe than sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #307) on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 6:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, when we rented from Poppy in May of last year, she was the cheapest ... with awesome personalized service. Sorry to hear she won't work out for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just rented from AB car rental and they were very great to work with, we had a problem with one truck and we had another in about 5 minutes!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By terry sherman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Do not rent from Island Car Rental- we nearly missed our early (0730 AM flight on Continental 1899) due to the Island Car rental agent's insistence that the flight always left at 0830. Fortunately, I am not a trusting soul, so I insisted that my husband drop me and all our dive gear at the airport at 0600. We paid our departure tax and got ticketed, and he made a mad dash back to the rental agency at the Plaza to drop off the vehicle. They were nonchalant about their misinformation, but it caused a lot of stress and panic for us. He was the last person through security that morning (02/21). I think what really bugged us was their insistence the airlines was wrong, and they were right-go figure. There were plenty of issues with the two vehicles we rented as well. Rent from someone else-until they can get things straightened out there....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annie Fox (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Indeed, very unpleasant for you guys.
I have always rented from Voyager Events. I think that they are the cheapest (got the info from serving on the net) and the service was great. I had a small problem with a pick up truck once, but they fixed it in no time......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Johnson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #506) on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My personal approach is to reserve a car in advance. They can run out (more likely during certain times of the year).

My approach: Take a taxi to your hotel when you arrive. You are tired and just got off of a long plane ride -- do you really want to wait in a long line? Besides, the taxi knows where your hotel is and they can help load the bags.

Either later that day, or the next day, I pick up the rental. As I have it pre-reserved, they meet me at my hotel at a certain time. I am a bit more rested. And, the best part, if you are staying in whole week increments, I often avoid the cost of an extra day -- thus paying for the taxi ride and then some.

One other tip: Be sure to compare apples to apples on prices. Extra driver fees vary place to place. Insurance varies place to place (both in coverage and in cost). Plus there are taxes. Somebody that quotes an all-in rate may seem expensive but may end up being cheaper than another quote that left out some of these items. Your CC car rental insurance may or may not cover you -- check in advance. While it can save you money, you need to understand the limitations on locations, vehicle type and coverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helene Dudley (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 7:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

PROBLEM - I DID rent a car from VOYAVER EVENTS CAR RENTALS & TOURS and was troubled when the man told me the $565 US refundable deposit would stay on my credit card for a month. It is over a month, the charge is still on my bill and I am now fighting with my credit card company to have the charge removed. An email to VOYAGER has gone unanswered. .

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration