BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Vehicle Purchase
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: Vehicle Purchase
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 3:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have read some of the previous posts on this topic but feel I still need some questions answered.

1) Were can I find listings of used cars/trucks for sale on the island? (internet or community boards, etc)

2) I need a cheap vehicle for 3 months. It only needs to last about 3 months. How much should I expect to pay for a "beater?" It needs to fit a few tanks and 2 dogs. Is Naf $1000-1500 an unrealistically low expectation?

3) Can I realistically expect to be able to sell the vehicle before I leave (in December) and recoup some of the purchase costs?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1814) on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

kevin, i found my truck by happening to park next to it at kooyman. you can also look on the bulletin boards at cultimara, budget marine, and places like that. there is also a publication called 4-sale that comes out (i believe) once a month. the ads are in dutch, papiamentu, and english...sometimes the same ad in all three languages.

i can't say for sure how much to expect to pay but you might be a little low in your estimates. remember, you want it to run for three months, not spend half that time getting fixed just to stay running.

december might be a good time to sell it. you'll find a lot more people coming to spend the winter then.

i've had mine for three years now...i'm sure others here will give you more information and more recent information.

good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Pat.

Do any of the dealers offer a short-time lease? I'm trying to keep my budget as low as possible. The rental companies won't do extended rentals for a discount either.

Any other thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gregg Babcock - LBR #13 (BonaireTalker - Post #100) on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can view the 4 sale publication online at http://4sale.bonaire.biz/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you for the link Gregg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3529) on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 4:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

leases are pretty high and run 18 months or more. Some of the rental places will rent you one of their older cars for good rates. Check out Total, Island, etc.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration