BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Driving from the airport to Santa Barbara
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Driving from the airport to Santa Barbara
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bartek Jankowski (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 1:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi everyone!
Our visit to Bonaire is very close. We'll be staying in Santa Barbara and I start planning our way from the airport to our place (Kaya Aleksandrit). I wonder, which road to take to get there? When I look on the satellite picture, it seems that the best (not complicated) way is driving along the coast to the place which looks like some kind of chemical depot, then to turn right and take the road which leads directly to Santa Barbara. However, I'm not sure what is condition of this last road (on the satellite picture it looks worse than other roads). Do you have other suggestions?
Best regards, Bartek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14603) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 1:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Give this map a try.
http://www.bonaireislandinfo.com/island_map.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #674) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry
I think he will be better off with this one. They are linked but don't really overlap. Maybe someone that can draw tracks on the map will jump in.
The street he is looking for actually shows on this one.
Mick
http://www.bonaireislandinfo.com/town_maps_enlarged.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bartek Jankowski (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 5:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thank you Jerry and Mickey for your answers.
Actually, I know both maps and my only problem was to find the best (possibly quickest) route to Santa Barbara from the airport. Unfortunately, neither of those maps shows such route. However I've received also a private message which explains the route step by step (if I can write in such words with respect to a car ;-)
It's good idea about drawing tracks on the map! I'll do it myself on basis of the private message...
Once again, thanks for help and best regards,
Bartek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Tink**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8079) on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 11:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bartek, I assume this is your first trip to Bonaire? I wouldn't worry about the "shortest route" as everything on Bonaire is pretty "short" in terms of travel time. It is a VERY small island...and I mean VERY small. There are no street lights on the island, only stop signs. I think you will do just fine, so don't stress over the route, enjoy which ever one you take, cause you are only about maybe 15 minutes away from the airport...maybe 17 with a "longer" route ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1701) on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

tink....street lights??? we call them traffic lights here in ohio. there are some street lights...bonaire isn't totally dark at night. however you can call them whatever you like in CA. i think the only traffic light on bonaire is attached to pasa bon pizza.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #88) on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 1:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bartek, I think the "street" you are referring to is not a street. It may have been intended to be one at one point but it is a dirt path with intentional barricades placed in it. My suspicion is that it exists because it is the access route for the pipe from the water plant to the water tank on the hill.
- barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Tink**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8081) on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 2:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

dang it Pat, I just knew I should not have posted before my coffee (can you visualize my face? LOL)

Yes, Bonaire is not all dark at night because they do have street lights....they do NOT however, as Pat mentioned, have stop lights/traffic lights/or whatever you call them in Poland Bartek...lol and a wink ;-)

Thanks for the chuckle Pat...we still have no heat in our work building...I know, we are wusses in California, but it's 41F outside and 55F inside. I do admit though, I do better in the cold than in extreme heat...so I sort of have a "half a scowl" on my face!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1704) on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ok, we have your inside temp beat...its 70 in here now...but it's about 8 outside. a real heat wave. it was -2 last night at 930PM and i think about -4 this morning when i looked out.

ok...now i remember the pic of you before coffee...if i would have remembered it before i posted i would not have made jokes about CA people. are you all dangerous before coffee?

one morning as mary and i were driving from our condo to the airport to leave bonaire it was really dark. as we drove by donkey beach we could see the city all lit up...at about 430AM. one of us looked at the lights and said "playa...the city that never sleeps" and the other replied "yeah, except between 1130AM and 2PM"...(ok, maybe you had to be there)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #675) on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 5:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bartek
If you are by any chance on any flight that arrives after dark you will have a tough time following any directions to that area .In that case I suggest you get a cab to lead you up there.
Enjoy
Mick

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration