BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Amex and truck rental
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Amex and truck rental
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By NoGoSlo (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Tuesday, December 9, 2008 - 2:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been reading on this board extensively about insurance thru Amex when you rent a truck. Sounds like a good deal.

One question: The Amex terms require the truck to be rented using the card. How about when your hotel package includes the truck rental? Do you need to pay for your package with the Amex card? I'm travelling with a big group who is getting our trip through Caradonna.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jolly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #140) on Tuesday, December 9, 2008 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like a question for Amex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #180) on Tuesday, December 9, 2008 - 7:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

First of all, call AMEX to be sure of the inforamtion, take names as well.

That said, I had a similar situation two years ago and thought I was covered even though I rented thru my resort. (they paid the rental company and my charge was to the resort). When I returned home, I found that AMEX had not charged my card. Luckily, I did not have an accident.

Last year, I called AMEX in advance and explained the situation, gave them my dates, and took names.

They charged my card for the insurance and told me, if I got double billed once my charge card was charged in Bonaire, to call them for a refund.

When I got to Bonaire, I picked up my car from Budget, using a voucher from my resort. There was no separate billing or charge from AMEX related to the ins., just the charge from my calling them ahead of time.

Again, I did not need the insurance so I do not know what would have happened if I had had an accident but, I would believe with the insurance charge on my account and my invoice relating to Budget, I would have been covered.

Best Advice, call AMEX yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edge (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Tuesday, December 9, 2008 - 8:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We use AMEX whenever we go to Bonaire. I make sure to charge the travel agency costs including the truck rental to the AMEX card. Then I call AMEX insurance 1-800-263-9669. I have to identify the charge that included the truck rental and then they manually charge me for the insurance. I also confirm every time I call them that this will cover a rental truck in Bonaire - just in case the rules change.

Edge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bonaire Beach Condo ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1798) on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

NoGoSlo: When you rent a vehicle using the premium protection plan AMEX dings your card $20 (if memory serves me correctly) for the additional coverage. To my knowledge if your rental vehicle is part & parcel of the accommodations you will not be charged the additional amount from AMEX & hence will not have coverage.
That's why I advocate always have a separate charge
on your AMEX directly from the rental company. This way there is never any questions or ambiguity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hix (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2209) on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 5:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have done this several times and AMEX assures me I am covered. Deny all other insurance on the rental, use the card to allow the car rental place to hit the card for the $ 500.00 deposit and add one driver for $ 10.00.

I know this works because I had a $ 100.00 battery..." yea well " stolen from the truck. Charged it to the card called AMEX told them the "story of the battery" viola...I was covered and the $ 100.00 was refunded to my card the very next cycle.

AMEX charges 19.95 per YEAR for the additional coverage that includes the pickup trucks....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edge (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 5:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Perhaps the amount AMEX charges for the additional coverage depends on which AMEX card you have. We pay $19.95 for the enhanced coverage each time we rent a car using our AMEX. You should check your card's benefits.

Edge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt, back in May (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #686) on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have the AMEX "Blue" card and the $19.95 charge for enhanced (read: pickup) coverage is applied for each rental. I believe the coverage is good for up to 45 days per rental. For vehicle rental purposes I use it only for renting a truck while in Bonaire, as the charge is made ever time you rent using the card. As far as I know it the only credit card that covers a rental pickup outside of the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Gutman (BonaireTalker - Post #87) on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I also have Amex Blue card and it's a fee EACH time you rent a vehicle, although our charge is $24.95. You also have to sign up to the program before you rent, so call them and have them explain it to you. The charge happens automatically each time you rent a vehicle so, if I were to rent a car for one day, for example, (whether here or there) I would not be using my Amex card since I would not want the $24.95 fee charged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hix (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2210) on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 4:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I stand corrected it is, now &24.95 for each rental......still a much better deal than a charge for each and every day for the insurance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1794) on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 6:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The difference between the $19.95 and $24.95 plan is the amount of coverage. We have the cheapest plan... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Frank (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #721) on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 6:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just took out an Amex Blue specifically to get the premium car insurance. There is a choice of plans as noted above - 19.95 or 24.95. I read the coverage and it should be noted that while it covers vehicle damage and medical expenses, accidental death and dismemberment for the renters it does NOT include liability coverage. From the FAQ:

Does this plan cover damage to other vehicles or injury to another person?

"No, the premium car protection plan does not provide liability or any other coverage such as uninsured motorists, damage to any other driver's car, or the injury of anyone or anything. You may request liability coverage through your car rental company".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bonaire Beach Condo ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1816) on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 6:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David.. That's quite correct. Which is why it pays to have an umbrella liability endorsement on your homeowners policy. The coverage is world wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Frank (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #723) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Which I do not presently have...was going to cost us big due to our occupations. So after reading the insurance options and coverage details again on line I will be coughing up the extra for comprehensive coverage, as liability alone is not an option. Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #189) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 7:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't have answers to this question but am curious.

1. I think I read somewhere that car rental companies provide the "liability" coverage for damage to other cars as part of the rental.

2. If 1. above is incorrect, are you sure their rental insurance covers liability to the other car?

Personally, I like having my umbrella policy along with Amex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Frank (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #724) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 8:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I checked with Belmar and they sent me a copy of the explanation of what is covered by CDW and "full insurance". I also looked on the AB website. Only the full plan at 19.00 per day covers 3rd party damages. The AMEX plan does not. So only use the AMEX plan if you have other liability ins. or you are willing to take the risk.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration