BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Does State Farm auto Ins. cover international rentals?
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Does State Farm auto Ins. cover international rentals?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Irene Lee (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 6:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was wondering if any of you know whether or or not State Farm insurance covers rentals outside the US, like in Bonaire? I have to wait until Monday to call them and I was hoping for any answer before then.

I've traveled extensively around the world but the few times I've rented a car I've used either travel insurance or in the case of Ireland, local insurance.

I'm not getting an AMEX card just for this. I already have 2 credit cards with crazy ridiculous high credit limits and I'm not taking out any more credit :-)

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #656) on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 6:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Irene
My agent has told me in the past that State Farm does not offer an overseas policy.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Irene Lee (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 6:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Mick, that's what I thought. I am trying to find rental truck insurance that is more reasonable than what I have "heard" about Bonaire local insurance.
I'm renting from Telerin (through Caradonna dive/drive package) but since they have no website I can't easily get information. Caradonna said that CDW would run around $176-$208 for the 16 days we need it. That's a lot of money given the fact that there is a $550+ deductible.

That would be over $700 I would pay out if I happened to hit something. I might just roll the dice since I have never been in an accident or hit anything (not even in 2 trips to Ireland driving on their little roads). Driving here in Alaska in the winter doesn't count :-)

It's just that this trip is already costing over $5200 and I still have to buy the trip insurance. I guess I'm just being cheap but another $300 for something that covers very little is hard to swallow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1771) on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 7:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Irene, You can contact Telerin Car Rental from the US with this Letter head:

Marcolva Maria Henriquez (Poppy)
Telerin Car Rental
P.O.Box 347
Cell: 599-9-5163001 (24 Hrs)
Tel: 599-717-4108 ( office)
e-mail: marcolva@hotmail.com

We have a AMEX card and The only thing I use it for is Truck rental twice a year on Bonaire. If you get the Blue Card there is no service fee... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #176) on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron,

I am like you, I have an AMEX card just for truck rentals on Bonaire. Before, I rented cars and vans and used Master Card. MC did pay off once when we were the victim of a hit and run while parked near Karls.

Lately I have been thinking of using my AMEX card a bit more often because I have heard storie so some credit card companies starting to cancel cards that are not used frequently and the balance paid off monthly when they are used.

I wondered if anyone here has had such an experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Irene Lee (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can see the advantage to having an AMEX card and I used to have on years ago. So few places accept them that I just closed the account. I don't need another credit card and I don't want to hurt my great credit score by opening a credit account that I don't even need. Bonaire is the only place I would ever need to use the AMEX rental benefit. Doesn't seem worth it to me at this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt, back in May (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #667) on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is a link to an explanation of the Amex card. Scroll down to the post by Mel Briscoe and look at the PDF file.

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/32/320473.html?1181356811

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt, back in May (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #668) on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you shop Costco you can get an AMEX blue card for no costs or fees and get rebates on purchases. My rebates pay for my Costco membership and more. It may be worth a look if Costco is near you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bonaire Beach Condo ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1782) on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 7:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Irene..read the definitions in your auto policy. I believe it says for policy scope, US, it's territories & possessions or words to that effect.
So you'd have coverage in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, but definitely not on Bonaire.All the policies issued in the US use basically the same language for this.
As far as I'm concerned, AMEX is the best card to use, bar none. So you may want to reconsider.

I agree with you that the amounts charged for CDW
plus a ded is COMPLETELY out of line & bears no relationship to the true cost of this coverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Babs (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12228) on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 2:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's my recent experience for what it's worth....I purchased the rental car insurance at Budget car rental on my recent trip to Bon. It turns out that several of the car rental agencies (I checked out a couple anyway) have a deductible associated with the insurance you purchase, somewhere between $500 and $750. Someone ran into the back of my truck while parked at Bobbejan's. The damage was not extensive but I had to pay a good portion of the deductible when I turned the car in. Even though my Platinum Signature Visa covers out of the country rentals it did not apply to TRUCKS!!
So, if the Amex card covers all damage and any type of vehicle it seems well worth it to me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bonaire Beach Condo ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1783) on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 3:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Generally speaking, your credit card's automatic car rental insurance will not cover the rental of pick-up trucks on Bonaire or elsewhere, and may not even cover SUVs or the like.
American Express offers "premium car rental protection" (zero deductible too) and covers theft, damage, etc., for a flat fee of $19.95 per rental (up to 42 days contiguous) and it covers rentals in the Netherlands Antilles.

With this plan you would waive all collision/theft surcharges on your car rental agreement (liability insurance is not covered however - that's separate), and instead let AMEX cover you.

If you are renting a car on Bonaire, you will still be liable to the car rental company for damage to your rental, which would then be charged to your card, and then you'd have to have AMEX work it out for you with the car rental company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7039) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 11:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just note that some companies, like AB, will now charge you an enormous deposit if you waive their insurance regardless of if you have insurance on your AMEX card. My last trip I had to cough up an additional $1500.00 for a deposit on the truck. Since I am not independently wealthy that hurt my trip in a major way. Thankfully I can eat on less than $10.00 a day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #662) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hmm.
My 2cts. AB has always seemed kind of high handed to me.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Irene Lee (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 3:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't care about a $1500 deposit. Deposits are normally put on credit cards.

I'm going with Telerin so I will just suck it up and pay the local insurance fee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7042) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad to hear that $1500.00 does not matter to you. The local insurance shouldn't be an issue then either. Have a great trip and be sure to post a report when you return. Remember, we love to see pictures.

(Message edited by jeanineclark on December 2, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bonaire Beach Condo ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1791) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 6:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Tribs..I certainly agree that $1500 is a lot of $. So, you may want to consider using another rental firm whose terms & conditions are a bit more palatable so to speak. Everyone has a choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Irene Lee (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 6:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree that it's a ridiculous amount. But the difference Tribs, is that the $1500 is a hold on a credit card. It's NOT an actual charge that you will have to pay for. Where as the insurance is an actual payment. No need to get snippy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7043) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 7:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wasn't the one getting snippy. You disregarded it as if I were an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about. In reality, $1500 on a credit card is a serious issue when it cuts into the budget for the trip. Unless of course you have an extra $1500 sitting around somewhere to cover this expense. Again, since this does not seem to affect you, good for you. For some of us, loosing $1500 on a credit card we were planning on using for diving or something else is a serious issue - even if it is released after the fact because you can't use it on the trip. I was just trying to be helpful. Glad to hear that $1500 does not matter to you.

Vince, I've shopped around a lot and always end up with AB because no one can beat their prices. At least this time I know in advance of the $1500 fee. Last time I got caught off guard because I didn't pay attention to the change in their policy. It was my fault, but it was a shocker since every other time the deposit was $350.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1777) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 7:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ron,
I was on the Bonaire Talk and saw this. Thanks.
But she never contacted me.

Explanation: CDW.
Regarding the insurance, in case of an accident and it is your fault, and
damage to all involved is more then $.300, = you pay only $.300, =.
(Deductible)
The rest is covered by the insurance.
If damage is less you pay what the damage is, up to US$.300, = (Example: you
make a small dent that will cost only $.100, = to repair you pay that $100, =)

Some Credit Cards Company covers the CDW. You need to check with yours.

You can choose to take the vehicle without insurance.

When you decline the insurance you are responsible for all (FULL) damage
done to all involved.

Cost for insurance for 16 days will be US$. 192,=
Local taxes for 16 days is US$.78.93

And as you may know, we accept ALL CREDIT CARDS.

Regards
Poppy

Poppy sent this to me to clear up any questions on CDW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Irene Lee (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 8:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chill out Tribs. You take things personally that aren't meant that way. I'm not independently worthy I just have good credit and high limits. My concern was the out of pocket amount that seems high to me and that's why I started this thread.

Let's just end this discussion now. My question has been answered. Thank you to everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7050) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 8:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad to hear you know me! As I said before, have a great trip.

I guess I will take my reprimand and go chill out. Because of course, that is not being rude or snippy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Irene Lee (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 8:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ron. I didn't have a need to contact Poppy since I already had the pricing info. I was just looking for other options for the insurance part.

Glad to confirm that the price I was quoted was the same, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ron DeMink (BonaireTalker - Post #65) on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 - 12:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

believe it or not Crap one covers cars & trucks and doesnt charge for foreign use of their card. Only place I use it is on Bonaire-BUT let them know when you are leaving USA and How long and where you will be or else they might lock your account!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #296) on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 - 1:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'd check on Capital One covering trucks in Bonaire. I talked to them earlier this year and they told me pickup trucks were not covered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ron DeMink (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Thursday, December 4, 2008 - 12:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

DARN! These CC companies change faster than dirty socks after a race. well, MC or visa might , have to read the ins. fine print...also some of the CC companies limit coverage to only 2 weeks, while others will go 1 month or so

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1781) on Thursday, December 4, 2008 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, the only CC company that covers trucks is American Express(PREMIUM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION PLAN). I have ALL of the major CC, and have talked to there agents about this subject... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1631) on Thursday, December 4, 2008 - 11:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

i think visa covers rentals for a month (not on trucks...as stated, only amex covers trucks with some of their cards). mastercard will cover rentals up to 14 days. so if you're staying over a month you can start with one card and go back just before the insurable period is up and switch to the other card.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration