BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: So, I must rent a truck/car?
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: So, I must rent a truck/car?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We will be in Bonaire for a week in November. (Wohoo!) We're snorkelers and maybe one of us can get some windsurfing on the side. We don't dive.

- Must I rent a car or a truck to get around? Could we just bike around? How about scooters?
- Who would you all recommend? I'd like to keep costs to a minimum. (See the story about the expensive flight:-) in another thread)
- Any credit cards besides Amex (don't have one; could get one) offer international collision damage waiver?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1556) on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 5:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

mary, i would guess you could rent a bike or scooter if you are just snorkeling. years ago we rented scooters on st. croix for snorkeling.

you'd have to check with de freewieler or rento fun about costs.

remember, if you are bicycling,the wind might get to you after a while. it's tough riding into it but you feel like lance armstrong once it's at your back.

i don't know of any credit card other than amex that could cover the cdw for a truck. most other cc's cover it for passenger cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #816) on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, I'm a lazy old fart....lol....but pedal cycling in Bonaire's heat would present a challenge I am unwilling to attempt. While the island is not huge it isn't a postage stamp either and some form of internal combustion powered conveyance will add a great deal to your total vacation experience.

Scooters at the minimum will get you all over the island to enjoy the sights and dive sites. I scuba and my first trip to Bonaire rented a dandy scoot from Rent-to-fun. It forced me to dive only the house reef but I DID travel everywhere on it for sightseeing. For snorkelling only I'd opt for a small car rather than rent two scooters. It does rain on Bonaire from time to time and rain and scooters are not a great match.

(Message edited by chicagorandy on October 19, 2008)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration