BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Solar cars
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Solar cars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #760) on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 3:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Remember the discussion we had about solar cars/hybrid cars ??
http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/32/371447.html?1217630069

AB car rental read it also - and acted on it !
They made contact with the company in Sarasota and last week the 1st solar car arrived on Bonaire. It is a kind of try out car, they have also to see how it all works out, but the first impression is very positive !
They intend to rent the car starting 1st of November for $30 + insurance + tax .....

What I like too, AB is also a dealer for these solar cars now, so lets hope that lots of people are going to be interested to buy and make Bonaire even more enviromental friendly !
http://solarcarcaribbean.com/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RA. aka Agent 99(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3159) on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah! That is very encouraging news Brigitte! It makes every bit of sense to me to have solar cars on Bonaire. (I must admit I am biased, my husband is in the solar business) but seriously, this is the way to go! thanks for letting us know, my next trip I will most certainly request a solar car from AB!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bonaire Beach Condo ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1708) on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 6:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Way cool. As a second car, may be a really good idea for those who live on the island. Now if they can only get it to go a bit more then 25 MPH it'd be a no-brainer. And.. no one could ever siphon your gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #761) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 9:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

25 mph is 40kmh and that is what the biggest part of Bonaire roads allow...
coming from Kralendijk past the airport to Punt Vierkant there is just the piece from Plaza Hotel to the airport which allows 60km , and that I guess will be changed soon enough as there is a lot of new houses there , in principle it is already now "bebouwde kom" which means 40km allowed only - I guess it will be changed in the near future.
But that aside, why and where would you need on Bonaire to drive faster ? I can only see the road to Rincon along Tras Montana and the road to Sorobon after Sabal Palm ......
And all that aside ... the idea of not needing any gasoil/gas on a little island like Bonaire which is always proud to say it cares for its environement should make it more than interesting to use these cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Meet me at the 3Day in Atlanta (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4436) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I LOVE IT!!! And when I saw that in the Bonaire Insider I specifically thought of our conversation on here and you Brigette. How great is this!!! I agree that if it could go faster it would be great for some areas of the US. I work about 5 miles from my house but most of the roads are 40MPH so WAAA that wouldn't work for me - unless...hmmmm!

Anyway - I am so glad that someone listened and I really hope this works out on Bonaire - more good green things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo Irakliotis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #108) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Exactly what kind of protection does this "car" offer to its passengers in case of an accident?

What kind of diver would want to rent an electric golf cart, in Bonaire? Al Gore, perhaps, if he wanted to dive on a pony tank. But even Al himself would want something with more space to accommodate an 80 cf tank, BCD, and accessories.

I cannot see how you can haul 4 tanks and diving gear for 2 passengers in this car(t) for a 2-tank shore dive trip.

So what's the intented clientele for this car(t). Suicidal snorkelers?

(Message edited by lgreco on October 17, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bonaire Beach Condo ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1714) on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Leo..I really don't think that the intended audience for the car are the typical divers that visit and dive all week. I think for those who live on the island it would make a great second vehicle. Zipping to pick up some groceries, a case of beer, driving to the marina to take the boat out, zipping out to Lac bay, birdwatching etc etc.

From what I understand, AB is going to be a dealer & I suspect the local population is what they're truly aiming at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3427) on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I saw the car Thursday and was offered a ride, but the open sides during Omar made me ask for a "rain check" It does have great possibilities for local use but for rentals even with modification for dive equipment, it would be limited since it needs to be charged at night as well as using solar to top off the batteries. The resorts would have to install charge stations for guests.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo Irakliotis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #109) on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince, Mike I can see some practicality of the cart as a second vehicle. Still, the former paramedic inside me keeps asking about passenger safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3429) on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I had the same thought even though there are seat belts but no roll bars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo Irakliotis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #110) on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are seat belts! That's a good thing for sure, Mike. That and a helmet might provide some protection. I've responded to so many terrible and fatal head injuries that I cannot imagine how people dare drive around without a seat belt or ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annie Fox (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I rented the same solar car in Key West, and I must say, at first i had to get used to it, but later on, i couldn't live without it.
It is such an easy car and of course it is an economic car. I would really like to buy one here.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration