BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Vehicle Rental: Yes or No?
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Vehicle Rental: Yes or No?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan DelGesso (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just booked our Divi reservations yesterday for a mid-February Bonaire trip (am taking the Mrs. there as a surprise for her 40th birthday). I'm wondering if we need to rent a truck for the entire week or just for a couple of days.

We are non-divers, just "casual" snorkelers. Intend to do some sightseeing, e.g., the park at the north end, but other than that am unsure just how much we'll use a vehicle. I really don't want to pay for something that will sit most of the time (then again, I could be mistaken.)

What do you think?

Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6838) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BT, Dan. Hard to say, normally I highly recommend renting a truck, but you are staying near everything and you're not hard core snorkelers, you might be able to just rent a few days for sightseeing. Maybe just play it by ear, if you get there and feel stuck, rent one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan DelGesso (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil:

Thanks. I've requested information from several of the auto rental places on the island and am awaiting replies.

I also have a post on
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/general-travel-vacation-discussions/252157-planning-surprise-mid-february-trip-2.html

I am psyched about visiting Bonaire in February! Can't wait!

Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #611) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would recommend renting a small, inexpensive car.

Go to Jibe city to hang out or take surfing lessons
Visit washington Park
Go to Lac for a snorkel
Watch the flamingo's at the saltpans
Do a driftsnorkel from La Dania's Leap to Karpata
Snorkel at 1000 steps
Visit the earth ship; a house made out of recycled materials
Go horseback riding
Rent a kayak
Go caving
Bring some stuff for the boys at the Maria Hoppner foundation
Go to Rincon
Drive the dirt roads in the Kunuku

A week is to short to see/do it all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6839) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dan, I believe there is car/trunk rental right at the Divi, this may be more convenient.

Bob all to true, but I think this is their first trip to Bonaire and there is plenty of great stuff to fill a week within walking distance of the Divi. It really depends on how much they want to see and do, some people are satisfied lounging by the pool. I actually think I drive myself to much on Bonaire, my standard line is "No naps, sleep when you back to work.".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #276) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 7:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When we stayed at Divi (first visit to Bonaire), we rented a truck from Poppy. We wanted to keep all our options open and be able to go when/where we felt like going. Plus, this truck rental was our airport transportation.

Another great place to drive to while on Bonaire is the animal shelter. They would welcome any donations you can bring. And the cats and dogs would love some additional attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan DelGesso (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 7:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

April:

I figure we'll rent a truck for a couple of days during our stay because we will want to see the sights.
Interesting that you mention the animal shelter. We have 6 cats (5 rescues) and a 12 year-old Field Spaniel. My Mrs. (aka Mother Nature) will want to see it. Our whole family is into animals. On holidays, we donate for each other to Best Friends, an animal rescue society here in the US. (http://www.bestfriends.org/)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan DelGesso (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 7:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob writes – “I would recommend renting a small, inexpensive car.
Go to Jibe city to hang out or take surfing lessons
Visit washington Park
Go to Lac for a snorkel
Watch the flamingo's at the saltpans
Do a driftsnorkel from La Dania's Leap to Karpata
Snorkel at 1000 steps
Visit the earth ship; a house made out of recycled materials
Go horseback riding
Rent a kayak
Go caving
Bring some stuff for the boys at the Maria Hoppner foundation
Go to Rincon
Drive the dirt roads in the Kunuku
A week is to short to see/do it all”

Hey, Bob:
What do we do on day two?
;-)
Seriously, thanks for the tips. You have given me a great starter to-do list of activities for our visit. I plan on renting a vehicle for a least a couple of days so we can tool around the island and do a few of the things you mention (already booked Woodwind for a day trip).
Now, if you enjoy single-malt scotch and a cigar...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan DelGesso (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 8:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil:

Finding the right balance between sightseeing (driving around all day) and sitting on our butts will take some planning. Fortunately, it appears the island is small enough for us to have it both ways. I am busy researching masks, fins, and snorkels (we already own wetsuits) so we'll have our own stuff to play with on our visit.
Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carey moluchi (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Sunday, October 5, 2008 - 9:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We got great masks and fins from Bruce at Carib Inn at extremely good prices. We particularly liked the snorkelling split fins that he had two years ago. The comfort and manoeuvrability (ok no spell check)are excellent.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration