BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Directions to animal shelter
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Directions to animal shelter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spicy Mad (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can anyone give me directions on how to get to the Animal Shelter? We'd be coming from Sand Dollar. Are there any maps that show the location?

Regards,

Spicy_Mad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3334) on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 8:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stop in at Chat n Browse (on Sand Dollar property). I have maps and give pretty good directions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spicy Mad (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 4:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Will do. We were at your place many times on out last trip,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4034) on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It took us 45 minutes to find the shelter, so yes call in on Michael first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spicy Mad (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mos def will do. We too got lost. Ended up downtown and had to abort our plans. I'm sure we were close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3342) on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will personally lead a convoy if need be. The shelter is a great place to visit....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #271) on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It really is tough to find. We had turn by turn directions including landmarks and still drove right by it, but thankfully my husband has eagle eyes and knew as soon as we drove by. So worth the trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6775) on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Interesting, I found it the first time I looked, maybe I just got lucky. Now we headed toward Lagun and the East side lighthouse, so the shelter was on the way. The only trick is to find the turn on to Kaminda Lagun which is a hard turn to find. Here's the map.

Turn to shelter

Here's what you are looking for.

Shelter

It's on the right, down a small drop-off. It's about the last house. If you run out of houses, you've gone to far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3344) on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

or if you hit water you also have gone too far...The offer of a convoy still stands..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6778) on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Now that I think about it, I did not find it the first time. I drove by it and pulled a "U"ey, everyone in the car was yelling at me, but I needed some fur time and would not be denied. They all thanked me afterwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3280) on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 1:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When you turn into Lagoen Road, spy the monkey on the left. I hate seeing him caged but he seems happy. I bring him a banana or treat when I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3346) on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Watch your fingers..he bites..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spicy Mad (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 6:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all- with all this info (and the potential convoy) we are resolved to actually get there this time....perhaps more than once. It seemed easy enough to get to coming from the circle the last time.....perhaps it is easier coming from down town(?).

Just a little more than a week now. :-)~>
Regards,
Spicy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Meet me at the 3Day in Atlanta (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4147) on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

When I went it was real easy from downtown. You just have to know the dutch spelling for animal shelter - at least that helps... ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RA. no more, no less (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3006) on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just visited it and it was very easy to find! The animals are so wonderfully taken care of, I send huge hugs and kudos to all the volunteers!

The kids and I visited twice and left feeling sad we couldn't take a few home (especially Geena the cat, we bonded instantly!) It's so clean and the animals truly seem happy and almost all were friendly and begging for pets and attention. We tried to give a lot to them.

Sorry, this was about directions, I just got carried away thinking about all the sweet dogs and kitties!
(Jane please say hello to Nemo for us, the kids loved him!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #273) on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did Fiona the cat ever get a home? She was the black and white cat I liked so much when I visited May 2008.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RA. no more, no less (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3007) on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 7:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think Fiona was gone, there were several black and white kitties though. I am going to post some pictures later of many of the cats.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration