BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Bike Rentals
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Bike Rentals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeannine Cahill (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 3:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This will be the first time that my boyfriend and I come to Bonaire and we are very excited about exploring the island. We have rented a car for the week we will be there but we also want to have bikes to get around with as much as we can. So i have a few questions:
1. Where is a place you can recommend to rent bikes?
2. Are bikes rented out for weeks at a time or just by the day?
3. How accessible is the island by bike?
4. When renting a bike do you have to reserve ahead of time online or by emailing? (we are going for the 1st week in Aug)
Thanks!
Jeannine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (Moderator) (Moderator - Post #13) on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 3:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BT Jeannine,

Give this link a try.
http://www.infobonaire.com/cycling.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3225) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Riding a bike against the wind is for the hale and hardy...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RA. thankyousir,mayIhaveanother? (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2748) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 12:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband still cracks up, we rode south from Divi and back we peddled like crazy and got no where! It was like the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz, I expected to lift off any moment! But it was fun. It was especially crazy when we got near the airport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeannine Cahill (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

very windy? is it everywhere on the island? during august?
So do i need to reserve a bike far in advance or can i rent one when i get there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11817) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, it's windy and HOT! But fun, the north end is a blast. The south is windy all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7575) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 8:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In August, the wind dies down, even on the south side. I go for two weeks every year that time and yes, it is hot, not sure it is the best time to ride a bike around though...but the wind actually dies down on the south side as that is where I stay. Love that time of the year as so many far south dive sites are much more easier to access and enjoy. The heat doesn't bother me, I am in the water most of the time. On a bike, well, that would be a different story. September is another month of no wind, even Jibe City usually closes on the south side due to lack of wind and takes their vacation then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Stanfield (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #155) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 9:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeannine,

You should not have any problem renting the bikes when you get to the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5950) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

jeannine, welcome to Bonaire Talk. Michael is correct, it's not something a lot of folks do. keep in mind that the roads are narrow and there are no "emergency" sides, so you will be sharing the roads with all the cars, please be careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3227) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Why not buy a bike at one of the local shops for about nafl 300. It is about the same as renting one and then you can donate it to Maria Hoppner when you leave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #253) on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can rent from De Freewieler in town, or the dive shop at Den Laman. When on Bonaire, I bike a lot. It´s great training because the wind is killer. If you do the entire south loop, it´s flat as a pancake, but with the headwind, you swear you are getting nowhere. Be careful if you are riding anywhere north of Cargill Salt just before the work day, or just after. They drive like lunatics, and they don´t generally cut a wide berth around you. And there is no shoulder to speak of, as Boat Chick said. Don´t wear an iPod while riding, please! Be aware of your surroundings. Happy biking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Frank (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #703) on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've rented twice- once from Die Freiweeler (sp?) and once from BDA. The bikes we got from DF were Dutch bikes in poor condition. We got practically new well maintained mountain bikes from BDA. Price was similar.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration