BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: AmEx coverage and leaving the truck “unsecured”
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: AmEx coverage and leaving the truck “unsecured”
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg & Lani Muelrath (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Monday, July 7, 2008 - 5:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have an upcoming trip to Bonaire and plan to use AmEx and decline the CDW. The last time we rented on Bonaire, the car agency’s formal policy (aka the fine print) specified that the car must be secured (windows up and doors locked). AmEx’s Premium Car Rental Protection policy states that benefits will not be paid if there is a violation of the rental agreement with the Rental Company. Clearly, AmEx policy makers have never parked a locked truck at one of Bonaire’s isolated dive sites.

In the past, I tried to work around this by having the car rental agent sign a statement that it was preferred that the car be left unlocked with windows down. However, I’m wondering if in the event I did need to file a claim, the informal statement of an agent would be trumped by formal company policy, leaving AmEx legal grounds to deny the claim, since the truck was left unsecured.

How have other BTers dealt with this discrepancy of dealing with a car rental agency’s formal policy of keeping doors locked against the reality that to do so is an invitation for a smashed window in no time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cindy Edgerton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, July 8, 2008 - 9:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Greg.

We used AMEX to pay for our last trip to Bonaire for the CDW insurance also. I am sure you are aware that for Bonaire, the coverage is not automatic but you need to sign up for it with AMEX and pay for your car rental with the AMEX and they charge you an extra $19.95 for it. (Visa doesn't have any way to cover CDW for car rentals in Bonaire.)

We had booked with Sanddollar and the lodging package included the car rental too - and had paid for that with AMEX but we had to contact AMEX before our trip to have them manually charge us for the CDW since the Sanddollar charge didn't look like a car rental.

Most of the car rental agencies on Bonaire don't accept AMEX and I can't help but wonder if that is partially because of the CDW issue.

Anyway, I specifically asked AMEX about the locked car issue and was told that they would not cover any loss if the car was not locked. We did lock our car but never left anything of value visible in the car and never had any trouble. We plan to do the same when we visit Bonaire this December.

Hope this helps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Francis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - 11:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I called to sign up for AmEx Premium, as we had in previous years (the ONLY one I knew to cover pickup trucks), and was told that due to some decision just 3 weeks ago, residents of some states were ineligible (!!!), and that included Ohio (mine).

Folks might want to check out their eligibility well in advance...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3203) on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The reason most of us here don't like to accept amex is the amount of time it takes for them to pay us. Visa, MC, etc. all are settled daily..sometimes amex is weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By toni beck (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 3:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

ok this is all new to me but since i am planning to rent a car while in bonaire i guess i should ask the "stupid" question so i will know. what is cdw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1552) on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 5:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Toni..Not a stupid question at all! The term has morphed over time. It used to stand for Collision Deductible Waiver. That is, the rental company would have a fleet policy which provided them with physical damage coverage (like collision) on their entire fleet of vehicles but it would carry a deductible, say $500. When you paid this, they would waive the deductible and you would not pay anything if the vehicle was damaged.

It has now morphed into Collision Damage Waiver which essentially means you pay for collision coverage however you will still be charged for a deductible if the vehicle is damaged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edge (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 9:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The other thing to be aware of is that if you rent a car in the US and already have car insurance, your existing insurance usually covers the CDW (check with your agent to verify your coverage). Also, when you rent domestically and pay with a credit card, many cards also provide CDW coverage.

But when you rent internationally, your car policy usually does not extend coverage to the rental car and credit cards don't normally provide the CDW either, so this is an issue for most people only when renting internationally (though the domestic rental companies usually try to talk you into buying CDW from them too).

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, Live From Bonaire in 10 Months (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6464) on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 10:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check with your personal companies (credit and insurance). I am covered internationally. It varies by policy and credit card and blanket statements do not apply. As Edge wrote "usually" and that is the key.

The interesting thing to watch for is what the company on Bonaire has in their policy. Some have disclaimers now regarding broken windows, encouraging you to leave the vehicle unlocked and windows down. This might conflict with some US policies regarding having the car secured. Check with the rental agency on Bonaire regarding what they require to have you covered and then contact your US carrier. Also find out what the deposit will be if you refuse their insurance. As of January 1, a few companies changed their deposits based upon which level of insurance you chose.

Whatever you do, remember the safest way to go on Bonaire is: windows down, car unlocked, nothing valuable in car - ever, and key with you while diving. I saw lots of broken glass this last trip. Not worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Francis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 7:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

CORRECTION to my post above: I was apparently misinformed, and the good news is that AmEx's Premium program *is* in effect for residents of Ohio (and probably elsewhere as before). I was told by Amex that I'm eligible as before, and I used AmEx to secure a car at AB Carrental, which indeed triggered the $24.95 charge for insurance.

This made me happy. I like being covered, even when renting a pickup! That seems to be the part that's hard to get coverage for through the credit card programs...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg & Lani Muelrath (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Below is the AB Car Rental policy. It’s probably similar to all of Bonaire’s rental agencies’ policies. Regardless of whether a renter is buying the CDW or declining due to use of AmEx, it’s important to note this clause under Article 8: “Whenever the renter leaves the vehicle behind, the key and all valuables must be removed and the vehicle must be locked.” As we do most of our dives at isolated dive sites both north and south of town, it would seem that adhering to this clause by locking doors would result in at least one trip if not more to the police department to report a broken window and then to the rental agency to exchange cars and then file a claim with AmEx. And then resume our dive trip and hope we wouldn’t return from a dive to find another broken window.

General Terms and Conditions of AB Carrental

Article 1.
These general terms and conditions form part of the car rental agreement between the rental company AB Carrental and the renter of the vehicle.
This agreement can only be amended in writing to be signed by both the renter and AB Carrental.
The 'Check Out Report' of this agreement, specifying details with respect to (the condition of) the vehicle, the rental period, the rent, insurance options etc. forms part of the rental agreement.
In this agreement the word 'vehicle' means a car, bus, truck, pick-up or any other vehicle as specified in the rental agreement. Furthermore, where applicable, it also implies wheels, tools, equipment, accessories and vehicle documentation.
Fuel is not included in the rent. Returned vehicles must contain the same amount of fuel as when they were handed over to the renter. If this is not the case, there will be a refill charge for each shortage of 1/8 fuel tank. The renter is not entitled to any refund for over-tanking.
Before tanking the renter must ascertain which kind of fuel the vehicle requires. AB Carrental can never be held liable by the renter for any damage caused by usage of the wrong kind of fuel for the rented vehicle.
The renter will be held fully liable for any and all damage caused to the vehicle engine, in case he/she has used the wrong kind of fuel.
The renter is not bound to any minimum or maximum mileage (free mileage).
Vehicles are only rented out to persons who have been in the possession of a valid driver's license for at least 2 years.

For customers under 25 years of age, the conditions below are applicable.

20 years - CDW premium of USD 30 per day
21 years - CDW premium of USD 26 per day
22 years - CDW premium of USD 22 per day
23 years - CDW premium of USD 18 per day
24 years - CDW premium of USD 14 per day

From age 25 onwards the normal premium of USD 11 per day is applicable.

Full Coverage Plan USD 8 per day on top of the premium.

Vehicles are not rented out to persons under 20 years of age.
Article 2.
The rental agreement is concluded for the time period and at the rate as mentioned therein or as has been otherwise agreed upon in writing. If the rental company has given permission to return the vehicle at a later time, the renter remains liable for any and all damage caused to or with the vehicle until the moment the vehicle has in fact been returned to the rental company and the rental company has inspected it or has engaged a third party to inspect it.
Upon conclusion of the rental agreement the renter must inspect the vehicle and report any damage and/or defects immediately to AB Carrental, of which a written report will be drawn up. Any damage or defects reported at any moment thereafter is not admissible and the renter will be held responsible therefor.
If the renter wishes to extend the rental period, AB Carrental must be informed thereof in advance, i.e. before expiry of the agreed rental period. The rental period thus extended will remain subject to these general terms and conditions. All vehicle insurances taken out for the initial rental period shall be automatically renewed for the period of extension.
If without prior notice to AB Carrental the vehicle is not returned to the rental company within the agreed rental period, AB Carrental has the right to repossess the vehicle forthwith. In such an event the renter shall owe the rent as specified in section 5 up until the moment the vehicle has in fact been repossessed by AB Carrental Furthermore, all vehicle insurances taken out for the initially agreed rental period shall be automatically renewed up until the moment the vehicle has in fact been repossessed by the rental company.
If the vehicle is returned later than as indicated in the rental agreement, the renter will be charged a basic fine of $15.- for the first hour. For each subsequent hour the renter will be charged $ 10.-.
The vehicle must be returned in good condition at the location designated and at the time specified in the 'Check Out Report'.
When the vehicle is returned, it will be inspected by AB Carrental report will be drawn up of any damage/defects found, which will be charged to the renter.
Article 3.
The renter is not allowed to remove the vehicle in any way whatsoever from the island of Bonaire. In case of removal from the island by ferry, cargo-ship or whatever other means of transport, a report of theft will be filed with the police, as the rental agreement and all rights consequent thereon shall be null and void as of the moment of removal. A fine equal to the current market value or book value of the vehicle (at the discretion of the rental company), increased by collection and interest charges of at least 15% of the selected value, shall be imposed. In addition, the renter shall be liable for any and all legal and extrajudicial expenses incurred.
Article 4.
It is not possible to cancel the rental agreement, unless a written cancellation clause has been explicitly agreed to.
Article 5.
The insurance conditions are available for inspection and form part of this rental agreement. Upon request a copy will be given to the renter.
The renter is fully liable for any and all losses not covered by the insurance.
Only if an official police report of the accident is submitted to AB Carrental proving that the damage was not due to the renter's intent, fault or negligence and that the damages can be recovered from the other (known) party to the accident, will the own risk deductible charged for damage to the rented vehicle not be applicable. Until such moment that all damages have in actual fact been recovered from the known other party to the accident, the renter will be held liable and responsible for all damage. There will be no refund to the renter until all damages have been fully recovered from the other party.
AB Carrental has the right to change the insurance conditions. If this is done, AB Carrental will make sure that any such changes are indicated clearly and are available for inspection at the check-in counters.
No insurance
When renting a car without insurance, the renter is fully responsible for:
any and all damage to the rented vehicle, caused either by the renter and/or by an unknown third party, irrespective of the extent of the damage;
any and all damage to the rented vehicle, due to burglary and/or theft;
any and all damage inflicted upon any third partie(s) resulting from a collision due to the renter's fault;
the rental income that is lost as a result of AB Carrental not being able to rent out the rental vehicle due to damage and/or damage repair;
claim settlements with the police, third parties and insurance companies.
When renting a vehicle without insurance, a deposit for the expected rent plus a deposit of USD 1,500 shall be reserved by means of credit card authorisation issued by the renter upon conclusion of the rental agreement. CDW (Collision Damage Waiver)
The own risk deductible amounts to USD.350 for any and all damage to the rented vehicle resulting from a collision/accident caused by the renter or an unknown third party. The renter is fully liable for any and all damage to the rented vehicle amounting to less than aforementioned amount.
Damage due to burglary and theft is not covered by the insurance.
The own risk deductible amounts to USD.350 for any and all damage inflicted upon any third parties resulting from a collision due to the renter's fault.
Full Insurance.
The own risk deductible amounts to USD.100 for any damage to the vehicle resulting from a collision/accident caused by the renter or an unknown third party. The renter is fully liable for any damage to the rented vehicle amounting to less than aforementioned amount.
Only if a police report can be submitted proving that the renter had not left any valuables in the vehicle and had put the key away in a safe place, will the renter not be liable for any damage to the rented vehicle resulting from theft of (parts of) the vehicle or from burglary,. In all other cases the own risk deductible amounting to USD.100 shall be applicable. The word 'valuables' includes items such as: mobile phones and/or accessories, cameras and/or accessories, diving gear and diver's watches, jewels, wallets, instruments of payment such as credit cards, checks and cash money, computers and palmtops and/or accessories, visible bottles of liquor, cigarettes, car or hotel keys, designer clothing and/or branded articles and accessories.
IMPORTANT: only if he/she has submitted a police report as referred to sub B, will the renter not be liable for any damage to the rented vehicle in the event of theft. Therefore the renter is advised before turning in the vehicle to carefully inspect it for damage himself and to make sure that the spare tire and car tools are still in the vehicle. If upon returning the vehicle the renter has no time left to report any damage to the police, AB Carrental will nevertheless recover all damages from the renter up to the amount of the own risk deductible amounting to USD.100
The own risk deductible amounts to USD.100 for any and all damage inflicted upon any third parties resulting from a collision due to the renter's fault.
Article 6.
Upon conclusion of the rental agreement a deposit for the expected rent plus the applicable own risk deductible shall be reserved by means of credit card authorisation issued by the renter. Only renters who have taken out the Full Insurance will be allowed, upon their express request, to pay their own risk deductible deposit in cash.
Article 7.
The renter is obligated and undertakes to pay any and all amounts due before leaving Bonaire. If necessary, all legal and/or extra judicial collection and interest charges amounting to at least 15% plus legal fees will be charged to the renter.
Article 8.
Only the renter of the vehicle, as specified in the rental agreement, and persons specifically mentioned in the rental agreement as 'additional drivers' are authorized to drive the vehicle. There is a surcharge of Naf 17.80 (US$ 10.-) for each additional driver mentioned in the rental agreement. Any damage caused by an additional driver will be recovered from the main driver, i.e. the renter.
If the renter has allowed another person not mentioned in the rental agreement to drive or move the vehicle, or if the renter has been negligent in preventing third parties from driving or moving the vehicle, the renter shall be fully liable for any and all damage caused to the rented vehicle, the passengers or any other third parties. In such a case the renter shall not be entitled to any insurance coverage.
The renter must make sure that, apart from the drivers mentioned in the rental agreement, no one else will be given the keys to the vehicle.
Each and every occurrence (harmful event), irrespective of whether third parties or possessions of third parties are involved, must be reported immediately to the police (tel.: 717-8000) and to AB Carrental (tel. airport office: 717-8980). Failure to do so will result in cancellation of the insurance coverage making the renter responsible for any and all damage caused.
The renter is not allowed to drive on unpaved roads, nor in the National Park, unless he has rented a pick-up truck or a four-wheel drive car. Damage to cars and buses due to driving on unpaved roads is not covered by the insurance. If cars or buses are found to have been used in the National Park, AB Carrental shall have the right to charge the renter a fine of USD -.150. The renter himself shall be responsible for salvaging the car, if this should be necessary, and any and all expenses involved therewith shall be for his account. AB Carrental is not in any way obligated to provide assistance in such cases.
The renter shall be fully liable for any and all damage caused by or to the vehicle whilst driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medication.
If any misrepresentation has been made with respect to the validity of the driving-license or if the driver has been disqualified from driving, damage caused to or by the vehicle will not be covered by the insurance.
The renter is fully liable for any and all costs resulting from traffic or parking violations or from any other offences committed during the rental period.
Whenever the renter leaves the vehicle behind, the key and all valuables must be removed and the vehicle must be locked.
If the vehicle has to be towed away, all costs involved shall be for the account of the renter, unless a mechanical defect caused its malfunctioning.
It is not allowed to use the vehicle to transport passengers or goods for hire or reward, nor to tow or push other vehicles. Violation of this provision will make the renter fully liable for any and all losses of or damage to passengers, goods or the vehicle.
The vehicle should not be overloaded and should be handled carefully. It is not permitted to transport more passengers than can be seated in the vehicle, including the driver.
Flat tires should be changed instantly. Failure to do so will make the renter fully liable for any and all damage caused. Naf. 25.- (US$ 14.04) will be charged for repairing a flat tire. If the tire cannot be repaired the cost of a new tire will be charged.
Naf. 44.50 (US$ 25.-) is charged for changing a tire, unless AB Carrental had failed to provide a spare tire and tools for changing tires.
The renter is not allowed to participate in any road-test, race or contest with the vehicle. Violation of this provision will make the renter fully liable for any and all damage caused.
In all above-mentioned instances where the renter is held fully liable, the insurance coverage is excluded.
Article 9. Night depository
After office-hours the renter may turn in the vehicle at the AB Carrental night depository at the airport. This is only possible if the renter has notified AB Carrental in advance that he wishes to do so. However, the renter remains fully liable for any and all damage to the vehicle found upon inspection by AB Carrental, which will take place immediately upon opening the office the following morning. This inspection will be carried out on the basis of the damage report drawn up by the rental company upon conclusion of the rental agreement.
Use of the night depository is only possible, if the renter has paid the deposit by means of credit card authorisation upon conclusion of the rental agreement, so that AB Carrental can use the credit card to obtain payment.
Article 10.
AB Carrental shall not be liable for any misuse or loss of personal belongings, goods or luggage belonging to the renter, the authorized (additional) driver(s) or any other users or passengers of the vehicle. The insurance does not cover any such losses either.
AB Carrental shall not be liable for any damage or personal injury resulting from a collision or any other accident and inflicted upon any passengers (including the renter and/or any additional drivers) transported in the rented vehicle.
Article 11.
We charge US$. 75 at confirmation.
At "no show" and with a cancellation by client less than 1 week prior to arrival there is no refund of this amount.
Article 12.
AB Carrental is authorized to repossess the vehicle before expiry of the rental agreement, without any prior warning or judicial intervention and without prejudice to its right to full compensation for any and all costs and losses, if it appears that the renter has made any misrepresentation with respect to the purpose of renting or obtaining the vehicle, which is of such a nature that if AB Carrental would have known this purpose in advance, it would not have concluded the rental agreement, or if it appears that the vehicle has been used to violate the law or has clearly been abandoned, or if the renter is in breach of any article of this rental agreement.

Article 13.
If any provision of this rental agreement should be null and void or invalid, this does not affect the applicability and validity of the remainder of the agreement.
In case of any difference in interpretation of the Dutch and the English text of this agreement, the Dutch text shall prevail.
Article 14.
Netherlands Antillean law shall be applicable to this rental agreement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Francis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seems to me that you can use the AmEx Premium, then leave the windows down while diving. Almost no one reports any problems with vandalism, and no one can steal when there's nothing there, so you shouldn't have to file a claim.

But you are covered by AmEx's program when you lock the car in town, and while driving, which is the important thing! And you if you compare CDW coverage of $11/day X 14 days vs $25 for AmEx... Think of the dinners you can buy with what you save.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1562) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

$11/day for collision coverage with a large deductible is over $3600 per year just for collision damage insurance on 1 vehicle. Really, would anyone pay that rate back home on their auto premium? Isn't it just a bit excessive? I pay $275 PER YEAR year for my collision coverage.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration