BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Condition of Karpata shortcut
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Condition of Karpata shortcut
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Melo (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #157) on Tuesday, July 8, 2008 - 8:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I looking for a report on the condition of the shortcut from someone who has been on it recently. Last year the ruts were getting pretty deep in spots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda and Jim (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - 9:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were there a month or so ago, and you're right, the roads were prettyrutted. However.........

I had read somewhere that the park service had re-graded all the roads and cars are able to traverse the roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Boyd (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - 9:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ed, I took took the shortcut a couple of days ago and it was ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6831) on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, the Park roads are not all re-graded...only the areas that were paved before and perhaps a few "new" spots where there is a grade up or down but definitely not "all" of the roads were done.

Glad we have a high vehicle (SUV) when we went this year. Didn't need four wheel drive at all but clearance was a factor.

that's the fun about the Park, tho! Always an adventure and hangin' on by the seat of your pants at times on the dirt roads! Have fun!! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stine (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #227) on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - 10:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The question was the shortcut from Karpata right? I was on it yesterday and the first part is really rutted badly. Had the truck in first gear and almost stalled. After the rough part it was no trouble. I surely wouldn't use it if there had been any rain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6833) on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - 11:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not certain if the is the same shortcut you are asking about, Ed, but this one was was one we took last month with the SUV and loved the challenge down the hill!

If I recall, at the top of the hill there are some heavy duty micro wave or cell phone discs on towers...huge ones, and then we took a left turn and started down the hill not far from there. Might be the Karpata shortcut. Here's the photo of the road I am referring to. Carole

shortcut

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6834) on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - 11:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I"m back! Here are two more shots of the shortcut we took....might just well be the Karpata shortcut road.

The first shot is at the top of the hill looking towards BOPEC towards the NE. The second shot is on the road (paved) down below approaching BOPEC. I'm guessing it is the same road you are asking about Ed. Let me know if it is, OK?! LOL.

top of hill

bottom of road

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Melo (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #159) on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole,
The second set is not the Karpata shortcut which doesn't go near the sea. Perhaps the first set is but you were going down the deeply rutted section. The real challenge is making it up since you have to drive rather slowly in first gear and you're constantly close to stalling. The shortcut goes from the road between Karpata and Rincon and goes uphill to the microwave? towers at the high point and then downhill to a point close to Oil Slick Leap.

Last year the uphill portion was extremely rutted as it approached the top. Sounds like that's still the case based on Jeff's report.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stine (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #228) on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were actually on the road in January, also. It is much worse now than then. Some of the ruts were deeper that the axle of the big Toyota Hilux that we were driving. It takes some strategic planning to make the ascent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, Live From Bonaire in 10 Months (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6456) on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm with Jeff. I drove it a few times over my trip and that first part is very bad with many deep ruts. The last time, we decided to just take the long road to Rincon to avoid possible damage to the truck. This was July 3.

(Message edited by jeanineclark on July 10, 2008)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration