BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Warning - Budget Rental has a new fleet
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Warning - Budget Rental has a new fleet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Sommerville (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last year when we rented from Budget we had a beat up but very serviceable truck. This year it appears they have replaced a substantial amount of the fleet. At the point where we were completing the rental agreement the agent, because the truck was newer, argued vigorously against using American Express rather than the offered insurance. Despite the sales pitch I still declined the insurance. When we returned the truck 2 weeks later the agent, Jeannie, found a dent about the size of a quarter in the lower part of one of the doors. I honestly believe this dent was there when I picked up the truck but went unnoticed because of the size and the fact that the paint wasn't even scratched. Regardless of where the actual fault lay I have a complaint regarding the consequences. For what I think most agencies would consider normal wear I was charged $120.00. I consider the amount completely out of line with the severity of the damage. When I attempted to dispute the amount Jeannie elected to deal with me a preemptory and quite frankly rude manner. I have used Budget countless times, both domestically and international, for business and pleasure and will continue to do so. I will not however use this branch ever again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd Haskell (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #237) on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Its the worst thing about Bonaire , Budget were very difficult to deal with when I used them . Its hit and miss . I too , will not go near them again .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3910) on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 2:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You have to check the vehicle carefully especially a newish one. Any damage not noted is the renters problem. Maybe take pictures before you accept it. This is not a Bonaire problem as it happens globally. I have similar issues in the UK with minor paint scratches. We had full insurance with AB this year which was good as a Donkey kicked our door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5600) on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bruce, welcome to BT:-) I have found that when I rent the vehicle now on Bon (have used budget a few times, netty's, and AB), I go around the vehicle VERY carefully, and last time took pics. It is sad it has come to that, but I just don't want to get dinged. The bad part, is that money will NOT go to getting the ding fixed, it will just go into a pocket.

We use AMEX, but still get the CWD (Or whatever it is) anyway, just not worth the hassle.

Brian, uh...please describe how the donkey kicked in the door...ran out of carrots?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1529) on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't want to be cynical but..., if the next renter of that vehicle doesn't notice the small dent in the lower part of the door, and it's not noted on the vehicle checkout, what's to stop them from claiming it again?
An EZ $120 in their pocket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6774) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The CON flight from Newark/EWR into Bonaire arrives at 4:40 a.m. in the pitch dark. It was almost impossible to inspect the vehicle with the flashlight only as the light source. I wanted to take pics but was too exhausted to even think about it in the dark in the a.m. upon arrival.

We always take the full insurance on the rentals. Just what I like to do so I don't have to worry about anything and deal with the hassles later if I had used a credit card, etc.

Been in the insurance claims game way too long to want to deal with this hassle on my vacation as well as the rest of the year at home.

Inspect, inspect inspect!! Have fun! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3913) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde I don't know we got mobbed by Donkeys by the feeding station as it was just before 4pm. I have some funny pictures, I had to climb onto the truck as the mob of Donks (100s) was way too much.

When we got back to the truck after the daily feeding session at 4pm the door was signed by El Donk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5609) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brian, pictures please! I've been mobbed by those donks as well, and have pictures to prove it...but that's another story...glad I didn't get kicked by El Donk though...lol!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lisa z (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #187) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My cynical side tells me that the dent you describe is a great money maker for Budget. You KNOW that won't get it fixed, and they can keep charging the next customer the same 120 big ones. Wonder where the money goes.............hmmmmmmm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #653) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just remember, even with full insurance there is a deductable. Back in 2007, an unamed rental company tried to charge us $500 ( the full amount of the deductable) for a rear panel where someone decided to key it. We had already got a verbal quote from the person the rental company sent us to for $150. After going back and forth we settled for $200.
If the truck is brand new, treat it like your own. If you can't do that, then get one that is all scratched and dented. And as mentioned, check it over as best you can, before you leave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #789) on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 9:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

What if every BT'er who had to pay for a dent posted the company and license plate number for the vehicle in a separate forum?

It would create a record that perhaps future prospective rental company rip-off targets might find beneficial as well as a 'educational' tool for the companies themselves who might otherwise 'forget' just what repairs were needed and already paid for?

Just a cynical thought on a rainy Chicago Sunday morn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #563) on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A story told to me by one of my guests when I ran the hotel. I won't swear to it's truth, but it is funny.

They were out driving, and were startled by a donkey on the road. Hit the brakes, and came to a screeching halt. Lightly tapped the donkey. The donkey stands there, looking kind of dazed, and then bolts ... by climbing on the hood of their rental car, across the roof, and leaping off the back, away into the night.

So, it comes time to return the car. They hand the key to the agent, the agent walks over to the car, and gets into the rental agent crouch, scanning for scratched bumpers, dents in the quarter-panels, scratches in the doors. Never stands up during the entire inspection. Marks the vehicle as undamaged, despite the hoofprints leading across the hood and roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2806) on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin,

These little stories are such a good feature of BT.

All the images that come to mind of the incident, including the guests as the donkey 'bolted', and the agent doing the routine checking for low damage. I wonder which rental company employee first saw the hoof marks and the words of that discussion with the boss?

And then the checkout conversations/explanations when the car was rented in the future.

More, please, true or not. :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1535) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The donkey story is funny although I suspect not unusual. However, if my memory on the terms & conditions in an auto policy is correct (at least in the US), if a deer (or donkey) runs into the vehicle it is NOT considered collision damage but is covered under the comprehensive (glass breakage, theft etc) portion of the policy..So therefore a collision deductible might not have been applicable. The rental agent may have been honest or more knowledgeable then the renter thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2807) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 9:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wouldn't one expect some comment from the rental agent???

Or are donkey tracks across the top of rental vehicles so common on Bonaire as to be not worth any comment??!!?? How many BTers have experienced this 'suspect not unusual' sort of damage??? :–))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5642) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, our car wasn't damaged by a donkey, but my knees were, and it wasn't covered in the rental agreement:-) lol!

Vince, interesting. Dang, I wish I had a rental agreement in front of me to see. fine print.... TRIBS???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ A3) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #186) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 2:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bruce - not the way to end a Bonaire or any vacation.

Last two trips I got a newer vehicle (less then 5000km) with FULL insurance from AB, I will not use AmEx for various reasons and find the extra insurance a small price to pay for no worries on vacation. I thought the CDW deductible was only $100 or $150, not $500. I would have to think I added a few minor "adjustments" to the truck on the last visit but returning it was a breeze, and I think this was due to having FULL insurance. You pay either way it would seem.

Randy - interesting thought.

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2808) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 2:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde,

'Bonaire Donkey rental'......

Or was it 'Bonaire Cynde rental'????

There I go again. :–)))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Sommerville (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 3:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole – I arrived on that same Continental flight at 4 something in the morning and had preceded that flight with two others in order to get from Denver to Newark. Even with the excuse of darkness and a twenty hour travel day I understand that it was my responsibility to perform the inspection and I probably made the wrong election with regard to the insurance. So I’m willing to claim mea culpa here but there are still several points of contention that decidedly chap my a**:

The complete disconnect between the severity of the damage and the charge. At this rate replacing a quarter panel would be more than the initial capital expenditure for the truck. In addition I can’t believe that anyone who has ever seen a rental vehicle more than several months old would believe that these fees will actually be applied to repairing the damage. As Lisa pointed out this dent is more likely a recurring revenue stream.

Had I taken the full insurance package would they have made a claim? And if they made the claim but didn’t fix the dent, again anecdotal evidence says no, would that constitute fraud?

And finally the completely cavalier attitude of the employees. They took what was going to be at best an unpleasant experience for me and exacerbated it by being rude.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5646) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen...lol ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1538) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

>>>Vince, interesting. Dang, I wish I had a rental agreement in front of me to see. fine print>>>

Hi Cyndee. I suspect you will NOT find anything in the fine print of the rental agreement. The answer lies in the policy terms & conditions which was issued to Budget by their carrier. In the US this is standard language. The comprehensive coverage covers a multitude of sins.

However admittedly, I'm no expert on Antillean or Dutch insurance policies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3193) on Tuesday, July 1, 2008 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

most of the car rental agencies are self insured for damage...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Norton (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Thursday, July 3, 2008 - 10:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have rented in from budget in the usa, OR. I had broken windows both times. I was never charged anything at the time of return I was told it would be assesed and that I would be notified. Both times no charges were assesed. The first time I had a broken windshield due to a rock on the road. The second time someone broke in by smashing a side window. In the end I was never charged but intended to use the credit card ins.

When I was in bonaire last feb. I had no trouble with the rental co. don't recall who it was avis I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Sommerville (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 7:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just a quick update. Just received the American Express bill today. The $120.00 damage charge magically increased to $280.00. Just further deepening my conviction that this operation has some dishonest employees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #612) on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 8:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bruce
Now is the time to see how good the Amex insurance is. Call them and tell them that you dispute the charge. I have done this in Ecuador and they took care of it, how I don't know, but they removed the charge and I heard no more about it.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Sommerville (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mick
We spoke with American Express last night and so far they have been great to deal with. I just don't feel that it is acceptable to tolerate unscrupulous business practice, regardless of who ultimately foots the bill

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration